• He will end up playing overseas

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • He will become the best pump-faker in NBA history

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzNC

Starter
How do you all think Lydon will fare in the upcoming draft, and what will his career look like? I actually thought he regressed his Sophomore season. Maybe that was due to playing out of position. I don't think he has a quick enough trigger on his jump shot, despite the very good mechanics. Way too much reliance on pump fakes. Will his game translate? I hope for his sake, yes. He had the second biggest block in SU history

End of the first round, puts a few years in the D then turns into a Novak lite.

His ticket is that beautiful shot he has. Nothing else he does I don't think ever gets good enough to be NBA quality.

This post isn't a knock, I think he can carve out a solid NBA career if he focuses on his main skill.

End of the first round, puts a few years in the D then turns into a Novak lite.

His ticket is that beautiful shot he has. Nothing else he does I don't think ever gets good enough to be NBA quality.

This post isn't a knock, I think he can carve out a solid NBA career if he focuses on his main skill.

His timing on rebounds is also very good

Not sure he'll have the athleticism to compete with guys who have the same timing and elite athleticism.

Lydon is an excellent college ball player and I don't claim to be an expert but I don't ever see him being a 10+ rebound per 40 rebound guy.

Since you acknowledge he is not an elite athlete, do you think his shooting stroke is enough to make him an nba player? Lots of shooters don't make it. I'm thinking of Rautins and Southerland. I also think he's a bit of a tweener... not athletic to play 3, but not strong enough to bang with the NBA 4's.

Like you, I wish him all the best and hope he is wildly successful. I'm just not sold.

I'm thinking he goes 25-40 in the draft. He'll end up in the D-League this year, probably get called up a few times. As a 2nd round pick not much will be expected so he'll have to shine extra bright to get attention. Best case scenario is he turns into Kyle Korver or the aformentioned Steve Novak.

B, C, and D. Also, E, he'll get called up and moved down often while getting shipped around a decent amount as trade filler.

It all depends on where he goes, he needs to get stronger, and start getting more aggressive. A couple of pump fakes in the Nba will get him a seat on the bench.

Since you acknowledge he is not an elite athlete, do you think his shooting stroke is enough to make him an nba player? Lots of shooters don't make it. I'm thinking of Rautins and Southerland. I also think he's a bit of a tweener... not athletic to play 3, but not strong enough to bang with the NBA 4's.

Like you, I wish him all the best and hope he is wildly successful. I'm just not sold.

From my eye he has one of the sweetest strokes I've seen from a player that wore orange and while debatable I think he is a better spot up shooter than Rautins or Southerland. Again, it's very debatable but I think so.

Great shooting stroke combined with good size. The NBA loves that these days. I think he goes in the first round. He seems like a smart enough guy to be able to work his shooting into a teams system while doing enough other things not to be a detriment. I think his biggest issue will be that he gets his shot off a little slowly because he was often catching and looking rather than catching and shooting. He will need to get stronger, work on lateral quickness, ball handling and likely give up on the pumpfake/drive game which will be even less effective for him in the NBA. I think he will wind up being a better finisher inside than most expect (down the road). I see him sticking and getting to that second contract.

It wouldn't let me put more than 4 options. You can write in
You might have gone with something like "moderately successful NBA career" in place of your fourth choice.

At any rate, this will likely become just another thread where people question his decision and make dire predictions about his career.

You might have gone with something like "moderately successful NBA career" in place of your fourth choice.

At any rate, this will likely become just another thread where people question his decision and make dire predictions about his career.

I was just trying to bring some humor into the equation. Thus far, people haven't piped in about his choice to leave. I'm glad.

Difference is that Rautins/Southerland were wings, and in Southerland's case, he couldn't dribble, which is pretty much a non-starter with a wing. Lydon will need to bulk up, but for example, Thon Maker is so skinny, he's invisible when he turns sideways, and he's a starting center in the playoffs, and an effective one at that.

Toronto is starting DeMarre Carroll at PF. Whether he's starting there or not, Jae Crowder is essentially Boston's PF. Durant for the Warriors, etc. Not all that many teams are willing to put a banger at PF anymore, and a lot of coach's will view it as Toronto basically has in the playoffs. Valanciunas should be able to bullrush Thon Maker at center, but because Thon can pull him out to the perimeter on the other end, Toronto has had to move Ibaka to C; if Lydon shoots it the way he's capable of, teams will have to put smaller big guys on him and it won't be as much of an issue.

Difference is that Rautins/Southerland were wings, and in Southerland's case, he couldn't dribble, which is pretty much a non-starter with a wing. Lydon will need to bulk up, but for example, Thon Maker is so skinny, he's invisible when he turns sideways, and he's a starting center in the playoffs, and an effective one at that.

Toronto is starting DeMarre Carroll at PF. Whether he's starting there or not, Jae Crowder is essentially Boston's PF. Durant for the Warriors, etc. Not all that many teams are willing to put a banger at PF anymore, and a lot of coach's will view it as Toronto basically has in the playoffs. Valanciunas should be able to bullrush Thon Maker at center, but because Thon can pull him out to the perimeter on the other end, Toronto has had to move Ibaka to C; if Lydon shoots it the way he's capable of, teams will have to put smaller big guys on him and it won't be as much of an issue.

Lydon can't dribble all that well either. He's Southerland with a better interior game (that he probably won't get to use in the NBA due to the size issue) and the ability to take 2 dribbles without kicking the ball out of bounds but the 3rd dribble is anybody's guess.

I know it seems like I've been piling on Lydon recently, but that's largely because he showed very little, if any, improvement here from his frosh to soph season. It was scary anytime he put the ball on the deck against college competition. He'll have to put in a lot of work if he wants to get his ballhandling up the snuff in the NBA.

I think he's capable of doing two things at the NBA level right now. He can shoot and I think he'll be a passable defender in limited minutes.

I was just trying to bring some humor into the equation. Thus far, people haven't piped in about his choice to leave. I'm glad.
For the record, I went with your first choice so I could view the poll results. I believe he will be taken toward the end of the first round and ultimately carve out a nice career as a rotation guy and earn a second NBA contact.

Much, of course, will depend upon the situation he finds himself in initially, as that is always a crapshoot (see Flynn and Grant) and goes a long way in determining the arc of a career.

Lydon can't dribble all that well either. He's Southerland with a better interior game (that he probably won't get to use in the NBA due to the size issue) and the ability to take 2 dribbles without kicking the ball out of bounds but the 3rd dribble is anybody's guess.

I know it seems like I've been piling on Lydon recently, but that's largely because he showed very little, if any, improvement here from his frosh to soph season. It was scary anytime he put the ball on the deck against college competition. He'll have to put in a lot of work if he wants to get his ballhandling up the snuff in the NBA.

I think he's capable of doing two things at the NBA level right now. He can shoot and I think he'll be a passable defender in limited minutes.

Lydon is a PF. He doesn't need to be able to dribble like a wing (and I'd say he's still a better ball handler than Southerland was).

Lydon is a PF. He doesn't need to be able to dribble like a wing (and I'd say he's still a better ball handler than Southerland was).

How's he going to score anywhere other than behind the 3 point line? He's not quick enough to get around the guys who are bigger than him, he's not athletic enough to score over anyone, and he's not big enough to post up the 'smaller' forwards who might guard him. He could improve these areas but he's probably looking at 3 years before there's enough improvement in his body and skills to do these things well enough to get NBA court time. If a team hold on to him for that long and brings him along slowly, then he's got something, but teams are often reluctant to do that.

He goes 20-25. Spends some time in D league next year but has a fairly successful NBA career.

NBA Scouts keep saying Lydon is athletic and our fans say he isn't. So which one is it?

He was more athletic as a freshman IMO. He put on weight but it wasn't the type that was good for his game. Still he should be able to get that back through strength and conditioning. He's athletic enough just not a eye popping athlete.

Late first round...ends up on a good team where he isn't asked to do anything but hit open mid range jump shots, rebound a few balls, and maybe block a shot here and there...playing minimal minutes as a backup. Has potential to be a quality backup role player, but unfortunately, I think that might be his ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom