Premier League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

I think they adjusted player placement (I believe one Liverpool fullback was placed in central defense, but I did hear that he can swing to that spot, for instance) to make it look as though they could field two full sides for each club.

Kelly plays RB but is destined to be a CB but I doubt he'll play at all. Ever since his injury his body just doesn't have it and he lacks pace in a bad way. It'll be Flanagan and/or Johnson on the right. I believe Can will be our utility player at RB, CDM, and CM. I was surprised to see Rodgers use him in a more advanced role at times this preseason. Not sure how much game time he'll get or in what capacity he'll be used though.

Kelly plays RB but is destined to be a CB but I doubt he'll play at all. Ever since his injury his body just doesn't have it and he lacks pace in a bad way. It'll be Flanagan and/or Johnson on the right. I believe Can will be our utility player at RB, CDM, and CM. I was surprised to see Rodgers use him in a more advanced role at times this preseason. Not sure how much game time he'll get or in what capacity he'll be used though.

(Actually it was Arsenal for whom they placed a fullback in central defense for convenience, not you guys.)

That's too bad. I guess you have some beefs with his past calls, but I honestly think he was the best official in England.

That's too bad. I guess you have some beefs with his past calls, but I honestly think he was the best official in England.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/06/howar...ly-profit-most-when-he-was-in-charge-4823614/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-howard-webb-not-6718882

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-involving-liverpool-and-referee-howard-webb

Fun times from Howard Webb. He even earned his own chant

"He's Big, He's Red, He sleeps in Fergies bed, Howard Webb. Howard Webb."

Arsenal still need a CB and CF. Mertesacker is regressing fast. I like Giroud but he's not the leading man for a title winning side.

Arsenal still need a CB and CF. Mertesacker is regressing fast. I like Giroud but he's not the leading man for a title winning side.

You would think Vermaelen would want to stay and fight for his position, but apparently not. Giroud doesn't have to do it all alone. If Arsenal's midfielders can avoid injury (which seems to strike them every single year, now that I think about it ...), they are really loaded and have goal scorers up and down the lineup. While Giroud may not be the best striker in the league, he is among the top 5 and nothing to sneeze at, IMO.

Anyone else anxiously awaiting Pep's post game presser after the mls v bayern match?

Anyone else anxiously awaiting Pep's post game presser after the mls v bayern match?

He seemed like a poor sport at the end. The one tackle was a yellow card, that's all. It's not like the guy actually got hurt. He rolled around like a little girl. Americans are of the English school. Don't be a freaking girl out there. Play like a man. Oh, and we always play to win.

He seemed like a poor sport at the end. The one tackle was a yellow card, that's all. It's not like the guy actually got hurt. He rolled around like a little girl. Americans are of the English school. Don't be a freaking girl out there. Play like a man. Oh, and we always play to win.

Im withholding judgement until the story comes out from both sides. Pep acted like a punk but Porter seemed to know something was wrong well before the match ended. He had a deer in headlights look on the sideline. Will be curious if schweinstager is hurt as well.

Case of one team full of guys in mid season form playing for league pride vs a team in absolute preseason exhibition mode.

Im withholding judgement until the story comes out from both sides. Pep acted like a punk but Porter seemed to know something was wrong well before the match ended. He had a deer in headlights look on the sideline. Will be curious if schweinstager is hurt as well.

Case of one team full of guys in mid season form playing for league pride vs a team in absolute preseason exhibition mode.

Final friendlies coming up this weekend. Starting XI for them should give a good indication of who all will start next weekend on opening day ;)

I'm interested to see Newcastle. Everything fell apart after Cabaye left in January. They made some nice signings. Janmatt, Colback, De Jong (love him), Riviere, etc.

Also want to see QPR. Was always a big fan of Taraabt and Hoilett. Solid wingers IMO.

I need an EPL team to follow. I know you guys had a great review of what the teams were like in the World Cup thread. I'd like to find a team that I can feel good about associating with but don't want to look like "that guy" who picks the front runner or most popular team. So what I'm saying is...not Man U.

Since my professional teams Stateside are rather adverse to winning, I want a team that has a chance, is fun to watch, and plays hard. No floppers would be preferable. Are their any teams that fit that criteria? Cheers!

I need an EPL team to follow. I know you guys had a great review of what the teams were like in the World Cup thread. I'd like to find a team that I can feel good about associating with but don't want to look like "that guy" who picks the front runner or most popular team. So what I'm saying is...not Man U.

Since my professional teams Stateside are rather adverse to winning, I want a team that has a chance, is fun to watch, and plays hard. No floppers would be preferable. Are their any teams that fit that criteria? Cheers!

Has a chance to win the league? Manchester City, Arsenal, or Liverpool. Fit your criteria. City have basically bought their way to the top. Arsenal has a history of buying low and turning players into starts but recently have splashed cash (Ozil, Sanchez). Liverpool has never won the EPL but have a great style.

Has a chance to win the league? Manchester City, Arsenal, or Liverpool. Fit your criteria. City have basically bought their way to the top. Arsenal has a history of buying low and turning players into starts but recently have splashed cash (Ozil, Sanchez). Liverpool has never won the EPL but have a great style.

I watched the Man City - Liverpool game today. Great game. And Suarez kept his teeth in check. I'm thinking Liverpool is the front runner for me, but I have pulled for Chelsea before. I have not seen a whole lot of Arsenal.

I watched the Man City - Liverpool game today. Great game. And Suarez kept his teeth in check. I'm thinking Liverpool is the front runner for me, but I have pulled for Chelsea before. I have not seen a whole lot of Arsenal.

You watched a replay from a year ago bc Suarez is at Barca and PL starts a week from today. LFC is a good choice. Their anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone," is so fun to hear before kickoff.

Ahem, Chelsea or City should be his choices. Liverpool and Arsenal are finesse teams that do plenty to draw a foul. City are fun to watch, but nobody among the contenders plays harder than Chelsea under Mourinho.

Ahem, Chelsea or City should be his choices. Liverpool and Arsenal are finesse teams that do plenty to draw a foul. City are fun to watch, but nobody among the contenders plays harder than Chelsea under Mourinho.

Chelsea plays hard but is not fun to watch. I hope that changes with Fabregas coming in. The front attackers of Hazard, Oscar, Costa, and Schurrle should be deadly.

You watched a replay from a year ago bc Suarez is at Barca and PL starts a week from today. LFC is a good choice. Their anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone," is so fun to hear before kickoff.

I thought that might be a repeat. It still was fun to watch as I didn't see it last year. :)

Chelsea plays hard but is not fun to watch. I hope that changes with Fabregas coming in. The front attackers of Hazard, Oscar, Costa, and Schurrle should be deadly.

Chelsea CAN be fun to watch. They laid some goals on some of the top teams last year. Their key has been counterattacking football. They don't just "park the bus" and play overly defensive. They press high up the field looking for turnovers, to launch quick and deadly counters. This year with a clinical finisher up front, and the maturation of Schurrle and Hazard and Oscar, and the influx of leadership and creativity from Fabregas, they should be pretty entertaining to watch.

Here is my breakdown for you.

If you don't want to root for the favorites, then you don't want to root for Man City, Chelsea, or Man United because they spend WAY more money than everybody else. Think of them as more successful versions of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers.

Two teams that are going to contend year in, year out, but never quite be the frontrunners because they can never spend quite as much money as the other three are Arsenal and Liverpool. From what you wrote it sounds like you want one of these two teams.

A little about each, Arsenal plays probably the prettiest football of any team in the EPL. Quick, offensive, free flowing, great passing, and technically sound. They had arguably the best team in the history of the premier league when they had Henry, Viera, and company, but since then they have been a little short on firepower. They have always been good enough to reach the Champions League (which is a HUGE deal and brings tons of extra money, fame and prestige to your team) but have not been good enough to win anything.

Their manager Arsene Wenger is probably the Greg Popovich of the EPL. He's a French tactition with few peers. If he has a weak spot its in targeting and signing new talent, but, again he is at a disadvantage to the top three in the EPL and the likes of Bayern, Barcelona, and Real Madrid overseas.

There is reason for extra optimism this year because Arsenal made THE signing of the summer in Sanchez, a star you might remember playing for Chili in the World Cup. They are also making noise about signing Mats Hummels who is arguably the best defender in the world, although singing him may be an uphill climb.

Arsenal are located in London, and their chief rival is Chelsea. If you choose to root for Arsenal read the book Fever Pitch which is an Arsenal fan's autobiographical tale about rooting for his favorite team during a stretch when they were good but not quite good enough to win anything. Keep in mind its nothing like the movie version which was pretty much a love story staring Adam Sandler as a Red Sox fan.

Liverpool are kind of like the Celtics of English soccer. They have a rich history (and have only recently been bypassed by Man U in titles) but are not now what they used to be. Liverpool had been going through hard times for a good stretch until Brenden Rodgers came a long. He is a young Irish manager with a clear vision of signing and developing young talent, and he is making quite a splash.

Liverpool finished 7th in the league two years ago and were expected to finish right around there again last year, when Rodgers worked his magic. He lead Liverpool to a 2nd place finish last year, and back to the Champions league. All while playing an extremely exciting brand of football that scored the second most goals in Premiere League history, and let in a ton of goals too!

Rogers strength seems to be in identifying and developing young talent and Liverpool has two of the brightest young stars in soccer in 19 year old Brit Raheem Sterling, and 21 year old Brazilian Philipe Coutinho.

Liverpool has a bigger fan base and cooler traditions than Arsenal. You will quickly learn to spot the Kop (the area where they craziest supporters sit) at Liverpool Home games and check out this youtube clip of Liverpool's famous fight song You'll Never Walk Alone. They sing it every game and it will give you chills every time!

Liverpool's talismanic figure is Steven Gerrard, who is from Liverpool and has had a propensity over the years to lead his team to victory single handedly. He is getting on in age now but was still good enough to be named to the EPL team of the season last year. If you root for Liverpool you will get to see Gerrard go through the "Jeter stages of retirement" which should be fun.

If you become a Liverpool fan make sure to catch the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Hillsborough disaster. It will fill you in on a lot of Liverpool history.

Their biggest rival is Man United, and Liverpool and Man U have the most supporters of any team in England. This rivalry is a lot of fun and has been described by their owner John Henry, who also owns the Red Sox, as so big that it makes the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry look insignificant.

There are two other teams you might want to choose to root for. Everton and Tottenham.

Everton are the "other" Liverpool team. They have a great manager, and are plucky and hard working. Tottenham have an interesting history because a long time ago they were the team from the Jewish section of London and were often times put down for that. Now Tottenham is no longer a Jewish area but their fans still wear that stigma as a badge of honor.

Both Everton and Tottenham will have something to say about what happens in the EPL this year, but the worry if you are going to root for them forevermore is that they will become irrelevant over time.

Hope this helps.

If he has a weak spot its in targeting and signing new talent

An epically good post but I very much disagree with this comment on Wenger.

Bought: RVP ($3M), Anelka (500K), Fabregas (500K), Henry (10.5M), Viera (3.5M), Alex Song (1M)

Arsenal is built on Wenger's ability to spot young players and develop them. You have it completely backwards IMO.

Still, fantastic post, glad to have some quality footy fans on the board!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom