Premium Message Board(s) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Premium Message Board(s)

Would you subscribe if we added a premium message board(s)

• Total voters
You could count me in. If it was run by y'all running this current board that would be all I need to know. If the premium site was well run and had quality inside info I wouldn't care what the cost was within reasonable limits of course. I'd be willing to pay up to $150/ year if it was an upgraded version of this board and the riff raff pabum spewing people (we all know who they are) were held to task when they posted their inane garbage. Heck, that alone is worth $10 a month!

Would it be possible to screen those who want to pay to make sure it is really Syracuse people? I'm not sure how you would do this, but I know I have seen admins post before that they have verified IP addresses of trolls that were from certain areas. I understand that IP addresses guarantee nothing. But there must be some way to verify the bonafides of applicants.

Absolutely can do all that. A lot more can be done than people think.

What would be the definition of "Syracuse" people?

i think he meant syracuse fans and i'll expand that to also mean syracuse fans that don't take things from the premium board and run to other sites.

Since we know that a writer is not in the immediate cards, for me it all comes down to what the good folks around here are willing to share. I am pretty sure I would join, but I would like to hear from our old reliables first. Roughly, how often did you guys feel you could have reported things that you held back on? Did those times often include player development news, recruiting tidbits, coaches' thoughts?

To really get things going, I say we hold a Town Hall meeting at Cali's house, moderated by Dale Peterman and Dom Timbers.

i think he meant syracuse fans and i'll expand that to also mean syracuse fans that don't take things from the premium board and run to other sites.
hell, most Syracuse fans cant find the game on tv, let alone have the skill to run to another site to post info.

Oh Lord

I will be happy to "subscribe" if only to do my part to defray the costs of this excellent site.

My thoughts exactly. I'm definitely in for up to $10 a month to help pay the bills around here. Maybe if everybody pitched in, we'd be able to afford the finer things in life (i.e a dedicated writer)

Since a dedicated writer in not in the cards, i'd be willing to pay 50% of the Scout fee, just to help keep this board going.

If we are just paying to keep the site up as is, wouldn't it make sense to just go back to one of TOSs or similar? It sounds like expectations of this board have taken some steps back since September (i remember comparisons to http://www.gatorcountry.com/). Why work on a platform that costs more then what can be raised with ads and adds nothing then a normal free message board does? At least TOSs were subsidized and now feature writers on each.

(I'm not trying to diminish people's contributions just trying to figure out what makes sense going forward.)

Assumed that would be the case, but wasn't sure how my IP address would reflect my bona fides as a cuse fan?

Actually, you want to hear all these things without the general public knowing about it.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, at least in my experience on the LSU pay board. If some dynamite information gets posted on the pay board, it will show up very quickly on some of the competing free boards, because some posters just love to spread whatever information they can find.

I'm willing to contribute something to help defer the expenses to the site, but nothing extravagant. After all, I am only a casual Syracuse fan, and became one when my daughter went to school and joined the marching band.

To me, a premium site has additional content (meaning articles and such) that I can't get anywhere else.

Paying for "managed" discussions is not something I would be interested in.

Cheers,
Neil

Managed discussion is exactly what I am interested in. The day is too short as it is without having to deal with the seudo humor Internet crap.

Not sure. My memory fo the Manley Zoo board was that it was not a source of much "inside" information. Those who ahd such information, (wisely), preferred to keep it to themsleves. It was mostly recruiting speculation. But if it were there, I'd probalby want access to it just to have the whole package.

an all-star board for foundational posters? I like it.
What's the point of a paysite? I suspect it's because people want a "no riff-raff" board where only Cuse fans can see, plus the ability to help defray the cost of the site.

When the new board came about, I proposed a "donation" link. I would certainly donate to the good cause.

That said, I think Tristy hit it right on the head. Rather than the paysite, I'd go with an "invitation only" board. That way, only real Cuse fans/regulars can see or post to this premium area - you have to know someone to get in (i.e. hit a tailgait, another poster vouches for you, etc). Kind of like Drumlins without all of the shanked balls, except when Chip is around.

What's the point of a paysite? I suspect it's because people want a "no riff-raff" board where only Cuse fans can see, plus the ability to help defray the cost of the site.

When the new board came about, I proposed a "donation" link. I would certainly donate to the good cause.

Agreed. Payboard with no insider info or professional writers just sounds dumb (no offense to admins meant). I know "old" people on here want to get rid of the "riff raff" or whatever they call it but again:

invitation only board + donation link accessible to everyone would accomplish this. Invitation only board means an admin has to elevate/flag your account to have access (you met them at tailgate, someone vouched for you, or they see a regular poster, 100+ posts etc, they can promote him). If they act like crap on it they get demoted.

At least they can pilot this and see how much money they get from donations and whether that's enough to get the bills paid.

I'm a broke college student. Have one more semester left then hopefully I'll be making some money, either way I am going to be following SU sports for the rest of my life. As of now I would not pay.

Never been on a premium site so I can't really say I have anything important to add. All I know is I visit this site multiple times throughout the day, and spend a long time reading all of the different threads and perspectives from different fans.

What I can say, is the mods do a fantastic job here. I've been to other forums and can honestly say it is almost painful to skim through them. The ridiculous nonsense some people post makes me cringe. For the most part, participants of this board get their point across in a mature manner that invites open debate. After all, a point of these public forums is to express opinion.

12963337.jpg

I'm guessing after this post...more people will select "Yes."

My thoughts exactly. I'm definitely in for up to $10 a month to help pay the bills around here. Maybe if everybody pitched in, we'd be able to afford the finer things in life (i.e a dedicated writer)

Thats about where I am. My only hesitation is that my interest in SU football(and college football) is about 10% my interest in SU basketball (and college basketball), so for large portions of the year I would have little interest in the board. But I would at a minimum subscribe for bball season, likely year round.

This is exactly what I meant. Should have been clearer.

I have never liked the idea of a paysite. Principally because there are way too many people that want it as some form of exclusive country club. You hear comments like "no riff raff", etc. My stomach churns every time somebody writes something like. The joy of the internet is it's inclusivity. New people should be welcomed. The board should have tools to self moderate. Likes, +1s, rankings, etc, uses those to highlight the good, and hide the bad. Another, historical, reason is that years ago some people were asking for pay sites, while also being really douchey about the way people posted. hey give me money! but don't you dare say that about Craig Forth.

The economics are often thrown around as the excuse. 10 years ago, CTO, or somebody said they were paying hundreds a month to front this site. I do not know if this is true. There are billions of free sites on the 'net, all supported by ads. We have plenty of ads here. Is this really a valid excuse? What are the economics? It should not have been on Scout, because well, Scout payed for the site.

Wanting to control the reigns seems more likely, and that is fine.

If we went pay, I would only do it to help "defray the costs", if that were true. Also, the new board technology is probably worth a donation as well. Not sure how much of that is from the labor of Tom, etc, or if it comes from a service. Around $5/mo is what I would be willing to pay. Seems fair given what I pay for Netflix, etc. I honestly have no interest in recruiting tidbits, or some paid writers content. And the last time I paid, there frankly wasn't much of it anyway. We have plenty of great writers here. I like the community here, the community by the way that grew from years of finding each other on inclusive sites.

Maybe it's just me, but this makes no sense. I don't get the causality. Did you think, on TOS, that we would have gotten the scoop on Bernie before it all broke? Not trying to be snarky, really. I just don't get the statement.

I think that there is going to be a lot more reticence to talk about insider stuff, that's all. There has been less and less over the years, and I suspect it will mostly dry up.

i agree with what tristan said.

in addition to that, id pay $4-$5 a month because a cover charge usually keeps the riff-raff out.

an 'old boys club' board would be ideal.

i dont need some 23year writer wannabe chasing around 17 year olds in the farms of PA and OH asking if Cuse is in their final 4 to make me pay.

id rather pay knowing that the only people in a thread will be tristan, bayside, millhouse, jake, cto, chip, scooch, madny, bees etc...

Oh Lord

I'd pay $20 a month of you find Raoul Duke.

A premium side is absolutely necessary. Jake, Tomcat, Bees, Go and others are more likely to post insider tidbits. I know some on this thread seem against it but thats why it is an optional board if you dont want to join then dont.

I've always been a "subscriber" and would continue to do so, if for no other reason than the good of the site.

Ideally, I would be interested in expanding recruiting coverage, having related articles on recruits, recruiting database, etc. If this meant having a dedicated writer (sounds expensive) or paying someone here to keep up the database, that would be a great premium benefit, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom