Preseason Practice... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

He led the ACC in 3 point shooting last year?
JG3 was 2nd in the ACC for 3’s made and 14th in the ACC for 3pt %. With a higher volume of 3’s and being the #1 option, people should expect efficiency to drop.

JG3 was 2nd in the ACC for 3’s made and 14th in the ACC for 3pt %. With a higher volume of 3’s and being the #1 option, people should expect efficiency to drop.

368ACCFF-4552-426E-82D2-740912205053.png

Interesting, ESPN had it much different.

Without looking it all through it’s possible the ACC has minimum attempts?

Without looking it all through it’s possible the ACC has minimum attempts?
AJ Griffin has 60+ 3’s made on 47% 3 pt% last year which wasn’t in your screenshot.

Regardless, Joe was a high volume 3 point shooter on a 40% efficiency as the 3rd option last year. One can expect his efficiency to drop once as the #1 option just like Buddy did.

Palpable buzz. He loves that phrase. Lol. Who was our last guy he said that about? Jalen Carey?
I feel like he's said that multiple times over the last couple of years
He may have said it about Elijah Hughes (warranted), Edwards (warranted) Benny (not warranted)
Unfortunately, I am now in wait and see mode with this program/team

AJ Griffin has 60+ 3’s made on 47% 3 pt% last year which wasn’t in your screenshot.

Regardless, Joe was a high volume 3 point shooter on a 40% efficiency as the 3rd option last year. One can expect his efficiency to drop once as the #1 option just like Buddy did.

Looked a bit closer and the ACC looks to have a minimum of 200 attempts. If ESPN used the same attempts Joe would be 1 because the unc and Clemson kids made fewer than the ACC gave them credit for.

“We gave games away last year. We’re so much different this year. We’re going to play 9-10 guys. We’re faster. We’re quicker. We’re better.”

Lol
Boy I hope hes right, dont want to see JB go out like last season but when he was younger I dont remember him hyping up his teams like this. Thats why im taking this with a grain of salt.

I bet he probably thought they would be good last season because of size, experience, shooting, chemistry and I bet he was shocked it went the way it did.

9 10 deep. Lol
Why is this crazy this year ?

3 clear guards (Joe, Judah, Sy)
3 clear forwards (Benny, Taylor, Bunch)
1 clear center (Jesse)

That’s 7 right there.

None of those forwards will be able to play the 5, so we know at least 1 of Carey/Hima will play.

That’s 8.

It seems like Quadir is trending up more than anything and he seems quite versatile. He could very easily earn minutes.

There is no Jimmy or Marek who slide over to the 5 this year. JB will be forced to play a backup 5, especially if Jesse struggles with fouls again.

It’s hard to imagine Taylor or Bunch getting completely removed from the rotation, especially early in the season. I think they’ll both get plenty of opportunity to prove themselves. Same with Benny.

Sure by January you’d like to play 8.5 guys. But with how many unknowns we have this year, you gotta believe JB will give all 10 guys a shot in real games

1 clear center (Jesse)

That’s 7 right there.

None of those forwards will be able to play the 5, so we know at least 1 of Carey/Hima will play.

That’s 8.

It seems like Quadir is trending up more than anything and he seems quite versatile. He could very easily earn minutes.

There is no Jimmy or Marek who slide over to the 5 this year. JB will be forced to play a backup 5, especially if Jesse struggles with fouls again.

It’s hard to imagine Taylor or Bunch getting completely removed from the rotation, especially early in the season. I think they’ll both get plenty of opportunity to prove themselves. Same with Benny.

Sure by January you’d like to play 8.5 guys. But with how many unknowns we have this year, you gotta believe JB will give all 10 guys a shot in real games

While you don't list Maliq Brown amongst the F's getting run - he COULD potentially fill in at the 5, since he's got the most beef outta any of our F's, and we don't hafta worry about him wasting fouls, since he's prolly the 4th Forward in the 3-man rotation (as far as we know).

And I agree about Quadir - kid is a baller, and as long as he gives effort on D, he may just force JAB to give him some run.

That said - MCW had a pretty solid Frosh season, and still got nailed to the bench later on that year.

Among other things in these tweets, hilarious that he makes it sound so black and white with Benny. There is no way I think our status as the top or bottom of the ACC hinges on Benny getting up to 10-12 points. A lot of things could pan out positively or negatively that could either cancel out Benny not making a leap this year, or make it much worse.

If Bunch Taylor and Brown all flop then forward/the offense as a whole will be a tough scene, even if Benny averages 10-12. If 2 of 3 show some signs of life than we can probably live with Benny still struggling like he did with scoring (while hopefully at least improving with IQ in the zone/rebounding). We have to prepare for the reality that he will probably not show up with a killer jump shot and handle this year.

1 clear center (Jesse)

That’s 7 right there.

That’s 8.

Although history tells us JB won't play 9-10 guys, I agree with you that there's clearly 9-10 who could and should play, and there's not a huge talent gap between the guys. Also JB thinks they have something special for next year, so maybe he'll actually try to keep the freshmen happy. It makes perfect sense, but it's tough for someone to change after nearly 50 years.

I’ll believe it when I see it, considering how we’ve been burned on our regular season expectations in recent years. However, I listened to Dean’s Twitter Spaces thing the other day and Pat from Syracuse had a report from Monroe Madness and he sounded incredibly bullish on the team based on what he saw. He loves Copeland, Carey and Taylor and thinks the increased athleticism will be a big difference. He thinks we could be top 5 in the ACC. It’s so bizarre to hear JB and Pat actually agreeing on the potential of the team this season!

Last edited:
While you don't list Maliq Brown amongst the F's getting run - he COULD potentially fill in at the 5, since he's got the most beef outta any of our F's, and we don't hafta worry about him wasting fouls, since he's prolly the 4th Forward in the 3-man rotation (as far as we know).

And I agree about Quadir - kid is a baller, and as long as he gives effort on D, he may just force JAB to give him some run.

That said - MCW had a pretty solid Frosh season, and still got nailed to the bench later on that year.
Wow I totally forgot abutting Maliq. My fault.

We are definitely playing 10

1 clear center (Jesse)

That’s 7 right there.

That’s 8.

Because jb gonna jb

Although history tells us JB won't play 9-10 guys, I agree with you that there's clearly 9-10 who could and should play, and there's not a huge talent gap between the guys. Also JB thinks they have something special for next year, so maybe he'll actually try to keep the freshmen happy. It makes perfect sense, but it's tough for someone to change after nearly 50 years.
He debunked that during acc media day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom