Prince & Cecil: A father & Son reunion | Syracusefan.com

Prince & Cecil: A father & Son reunion

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
prince-cecil-ap2.jpg

Prince Fielder heads home and his father hopes to join him

Change the words to father & son

Glad to see father & son work out their differences. I remember how proud Cecil was of a 12 year old Prince knocking balls over the fence in old Tiger stadium 15 years ago.

Cecil played for the Syracuse Cheif's around 25 years ago before he became well known. At the time he was used mostly as a DH. At the end of the season he ran a clinic for kids at MacArthur Stadium which I enrolled my son in. Cecil was great with the kids. In his speech he told them he was paid to hit home runs and that they should just try to become all around hits and not follow his example. At the end of the day he had the kids line up in pairs and race to first base. The winners would continue in the contest. After the race he would up to each loser, walk them further up the baseline, put his arm around them and say something like, 'Man I was rooting for you all the way, good luck in the future and thanks for coming to the clinic."

Each of the kids walked away with a huge smile on their faces.

After everything was over I asked him if he would be interested in playing some fall softball. He said you wouldn't want me. I have played in celebrity softball games and I've never gotten a hit. Man, I just can't time that pitch.

Several years later I saw him in Wade Bogg's celebrity game and he got a home run. When interviewed he said that was his first hit ever in slow pitch softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom