Princeton Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Princeton Gameday...

will they climb enough? they've already dropped back down to 27 since my last post

It’s the magnitudes that matter for the jockeying now.

I’m posting from my phone so I might mess up some numbers but some things to look at

Gap between #4 JHU and #5 Cornell is .034

Gap between #11 Penn and #25 Syracuse is .034

Even if some spots have shuffled around since I looked, you get the gist.
158D8A65-0498-4877-BAD6-DAABC0473E9C.png

Last edited:
It’s the magnitudes that matter for the jockeying now.

I’m posting from my phone so I might mess up some numbers but some things to look at

Gap between #4 JHU and #5 Cornell is .034

Gap between #11 Penn and #25 Syracuse is .034

Even if some spots have shuffled around since I looked, you get the gist.View attachment 226843
The rankings will impact this too, right?

Average RPI of your top 10 opponents
i could be wrong, but thought it was the your top 10 opponents' records @ 2/3 and their opponents' record @ 1/3. so then it would basically be a teams' rpi minus your own record and minus sub top 10 opponents' data:

First time I got to see the Orange play live since the 2019 playoff loss @ Loyola. The team looked dialed in from the start, it was nice to see them take the lead early and never relinquish it. Here some thoughts I had
So obviously Clary started and had that big collison early and appeared to have a concussion. I was sitting behing the bench, albeit 15 rows up and I say Clary for a while sitting on the bench, then he disappeared for a little bit but then was standing with the rest of the guys holding his stick so hopefully it wasn't to bad.
It was great to see Will Mark live, he really makes some clutch saves look routine. I know they gave up 13 but thought the defense across the board was pretty good. Really thought the SSDM's were tough and physical.
Aviles and Rice were really good on clears. I know I mentioned this a few weeks ago but I cannot understand why they do not take advantage of Mark and then Aviles/Rice to push the ball up and get more fast breaks. That was there for the taking plenty of times yesterday.
Not sure if it's really a debate right now but Olexo is their best defenseman. Got to go back to LSM yesterday, he just makes a lot of plays.
Offense was humming early, making it look easy. The passing is so much more fun to watch live. Did think they got a little too cute in the 4th when if they had put another goal or two away they could have sealed the game sooner. Spallina may never have the quickness of MIke Powell but he really takes on contact well. Tigers switched up the matcp-up in the 2nd quarter I think but it didn't really matter.
I'm just going to say I'm sad Cole Kirst didn't spend his whole career at Syracuse. He was another fun one to watch in person. Kid is just a beast and plays with so my heart, he must be a great teammate to play with.
I know that Princeton lost their top FOGO but Fine mostly took care of business yesterday. Wing play also seemed better.
Not sure what this means going forward, would be great if they could knock off UNC next week and at least give themselves a shot in the last 2 games.

*On an non-lacrosse note: They had the biggest crowd they have had all season which should surprise no one here because Syracuse always has a lot of fans no matter where they play yet somehow they ran out of food/drinks etc in the 2nd quarter. Apparently they were getting more but if you wanted anything it would mean missing a lot of the 2nd half. Come on Princeton you gotta be better!

Random observation, the 2023 Orange have now produced the exact same amount of points (goals and assists) through 12 games as the 2022 Orange did in 14 (279). It's a pretty basic analysis but the 2023 version is certainly sharing the ball more (106 assists vs 92) but the biggest takeaway, which isn't surprising, is the 2023 version has a much better depth of scoring. The 2023 version has seven players who have scored 20 or more points, the 2022 version only had four. The top heavy nature of last year's offense was a big issue last year that we complained a lot about, kudos for the players and coaching staff for addressing the issue.

Random observation, the 2023 Orange have now produced the exact same amount of points (goals and assists) through 12 games as the 2022 Orange did in 14 (279). It's a pretty basic analysis but the 2023 version is certainly sharing the ball more (106 assists vs 92) but the biggest takeaway, which isn't surprising, is the 2023 version has a much better depth of scoring. The 2023 version has seven players who have scored 20 or more points, the 2022 version only had four. The top heavy nature of last year's offense was a big issue last year that we complained a lot about, kudos for the players and coaching staff for addressing the issue.

Difference in depth between this year and last is night and day. Birtwistle was starting at attack the last quarter of the season, he's now on the 2nd midline. Cordes saw some starting time last year, he's now on the third line. Kempney would at least be on the 2nd midline or man up unit for a lot of teams, he's on the third line and has only played a handful of games. Only potential downside now is finding enough PT for everyone and keeping guys from testing the portal.

While I commend the whole team for its all out effort from the first FO to the last, I was particularly impressed with Rice, Aviles, Olexo and the other ssdm and long poles in the middle of the field. They must have looked like a hurricane to Princeton players willing to cross the mid line. Play like that gives them a chance against the very best teams.

Yes, but it's fun and reminds me of the Roy Simmons approach to the game - joyful.
in front of the cage i'll take vicious finish over style points joyful all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom