Program Reset... | Syracusefan.com

Program Reset...

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Until it happens, nothing is going to change.

I don’t fault the players. Unless they are totally not listening or doing what they’re told.

Game plans and offensive structures are pedestrian. Skill development is subpar. Questionable recruiting all over the place.

New blood is needed in the worst way. Can’t go on like this or else we end up like Boston College.

We need JB to learn JavaScript at 76 years old.

an actual offensive system looks like JavaScript to jb. He may even want to try learning it but it’s just beyond his mental capacity at this point.

I have staunchly defended JB but I have no words to describe how disappointing this was from the perspective of appearing like he is just phoning in another season. I’m dumbfounded. He is one of the best to ever coach in college and for the 4th or 5th year in a row we look completely uncoached.

I have staunchly defended JB but I have no words to describe how disappointing this was from the perspective of appearing like he is just phoning in another season. I’m dumbfounded. He is one of the best to ever coach in college and for the 4th or 5th year in a row we look completely uncoached.
I would like to like your post but it just is too depressing to like. If you know what I mean.

JB has had one of the greatest careers of all time and they should build a statue of him on campus one day.

But the people who are still unwavering hardcore loyalists to him seem more and more like the Soviet leadership during Chernobyl with every passing game — in total denial.

JB has had one of the greatest careers of all time and they should build a statue of him on campus one day.

But the people who are still unwavering hardcore loyalists to him seem more and more like the Soviet leadership during Chernobyl with every passing game — in total denial.
It’s Bobby Bowden at the end of his Florida State tenure.
JB doesn’t deserve Joe Paterno as the comparison.

It’s time, but we’ve got this for 3 more seasons...

We’re officially irrelevant nationally and within our own conference. There’s little arguing it as it’s all out there. From the bubble every year to barely on ESPN, we just aren’t what we were.

Until actual changes occur,we can’t expect a whole lot.

Boeheim shoulda been MASHING that Azed-5 button with about 16 minutes to go in the second half!

I don’t fault the players. Unless they are totally not listening or doing what they’re told.

Game plans and offensive structures are pedestrian. Skill development is subpar. Questionable recruiting all over the place.

New blood is needed in the worst way. Can’t go on like this or else we end up like Boston College.

I didn't 'like' this because basketball can sometimes be as simple as literally one isaiah Jackson surprising everyone and coming here. So I guess, who knows? But I love the point on the skill development. Watching diakite make some really solid plays in the middle only underscores how frustrating our player development has been. Marek still struggling offensively. Sidibe a zero on offense. Those guys are just the latest in the line of guys who never quite put it all together -- battle, howard, lydon, brissett ... all guys who improved in some ways but generally underwhelmed as veteran players.

The players are fine. They’ve won lots of games at the highest levels of AAU. This is on the coaches ability to install an effective offensive system. We had a 6 game start this year and we come out like that??? That’s coaching.

Nah let JB ride it out. We’ve never sucked.

BC has a recent season with 0 ACC wins. Can’t risk that. JB will win 20 games with the worst team I’ve ever seen in my lifetime this year one way or another.

We probably want to let the dust settle on pay for play at this point.

Well somehow have a run with Buddy leading the way before JB leaves.

But this isn’t your 80s Big East Syracuse it’s gonna be damn ugly.

Nah let JB ride it out. We’ve never sucked.

BC has a recent season with 0 ACC wins. Can’t risk that. JB will win 20 games with the worst team I’ve ever seen in my lifetime this year one way or another.

We probably want to let the dust settle on pay for play at this point.

Well somehow have a run with Buddy leading the way before JB leaves.

But this isn’t your 80s Big East Syracuse it’s gonna be damn ugly.

I don't know what you're watching. At least you're consistent.

I don't know what you're watching. At least you're consistent.

Tonight was terrible and it’s probably NIT here we come.

But get a grip and respect the program we’ll still win 8 or 9 ACC games and probably will hit 20 wins conference/NIT/NCAA included. Not go 0-18 or 20 in the league like BC did couple years ago.

But get a grip and respect the program we’ll still win 8 or 9 ACC games and probably will hit 20 wins conference/NIT/NCAA included. Not go 0-18 or 20 in the league like BC did couple years ago.

Thats cool. Seton Hall is borderline top 10 with a quarter of the resources and recruiting the same area.

It's nonsense.

We should not be scraping by with 17-20 wins per year. We should not be scoring 34 points at home to a conference opponent who lost 3 starters and had one player that resembles a pro.

Tonight was terrible, but the last 5 years have been terrible. 13, 14, 15, 14, 14 losses each year. Not ranked after Jan. 1 in any of them. Highest seed in the NCAA Tournament over that span has been an 8 seed.

Getting a grip is one thing. Facing reality is another. Many on this board struggle with this part, and I get it. But it is not getting better from here. Which is very scary.

I didn't 'like' this because basketball can sometimes be as simple as literally one isaiah Jackson surprising everyone and coming here. So I guess, who knows? But I love the point on the skill development. Watching diakite make some really solid plays in the middle only underscores how frustrating our player development has been. Marek still struggling offensively. Sidibe a zero on offense. Those guys are just the latest in the line of guys who never quite put it all together -- battle, howard, lydon, brissett ... all guys who improved in some ways but generally underwhelmed as veteran players.

Do you think if Isaiah watched this he’d be excited to commit here?

It's nonsense.

We should not be scraping by with 17-20 wins per year. We should not be scoring 34 points at home to a conference opponent who lost 3 starters and had one player that resembles a pro.

Tonight was terrible, but the last 5 years have been terrible. 13, 14, 15, 14, 14 losses each year. Not ranked after Jan. 1 in any of them. Highest seed in the NCAA Tournament over that span has been an 8 seed.

Getting a grip is one thing. Facing reality is another. Many on this board struggle with this part, and I get it. But it is not getting better from here. Which is very scary.

True.

At least we have the Cornell game who needs a top 5 coach like Hopkins pulling in big time classes when you can have the annual Battle of the Boeheims.

We lost to the defending champion who has consistently played the best defense in the country on the opening night of the season with only three players we knew we could trust coming into the season. Let’s step of the ledge and let the season play out a little makes us look the same way before we go too crazy.

We have to stop kidding ourselves, when we sign a recruit ranked 30-100, and tell ourselves a) he's underrated because he's from Europe/Africa/Canada; b) if he signed with Duke, he'd be a top tenner; c) he's a late bloomer; d) JB'll coach'im up; e) he has ideal length for the zone.

As much as i love any kid who chooses to play for us, facts are facts—we're not getting enough top-quality talent, and IF JB really ever 'did his best when the least was expected,' he's not that guy anymore.

And yet, this was just one game. We'll be much better in the next one, and hopefully, we'll build and develop—just from player evolution. Cuz the gameplan and coaching isn't going to evolve.

Would have been real nice to have a player like Kadary on this year's team. A kid who knows how to move, use his body and pace and rhythm to get defenders off-balance (this, based on ten minutes of highlights...), but i'm going to cling to that assessment. Joe G did similar things against bad high school competition, and he'll get a bit better, but i don't think he's got the overall athleticism or size to really make an immediate impact. Which kinda makes GMac's freshman season all the more remarkable.

It's nonsense.

Sanctions!

Yes Virginia is the best defensive team in the country. But JB is just not a good offensive coach anymore. Guys like Matt Painter, John Beilein, Jay Wright and Mike Brey could get these kids screening and running sharp plays and passing the ball and getting offensive movement. He runs very little offensive plays or screening actions and then just seems to give up calling plays at all as the game wears on. JB has long been obsessed with keeping everything simple, but that only works if you have great, top 10 talent, which we don’t anymore. Thankfully JB implemented the press to try to speed Virginia up but then failed to rotate fresh players into the game to give the other guys a breather.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom