Program Reset... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Program Reset...

The plan was to try to attack them early before they could get set up. We tried. But we arent designed for that. It resulted in hurried, ineffective jumpers.

JB had no answers. And maybe there weren’t any answers. But our offensive philosophy in general is stagnant

A stable full of former guards for coaches yet we slow down more and more every year. The last two seasons rosters were built to press and run; everyone has talked about it but we never see it.

You would think an attempt would be made to hide the fact we cannot coach up an offense. Instead we are playing a style that highlights the fact.

Granted I haven't watched the exhibition games yet but do I really need to? If you have a coaching staff of guards and you can't score the ball, then maybe you have the wrong coaches on staff?

Last edited:
The scapegoats for the offensive struggles the last couple of seasons are gone - primarily Howard, and the ball-stopping tendencies of Brissett and Battle, but the offensive issues are still glaring. No ball movement, no post offense, no motion. Makes you wonder...

We can't seem to find a PG who can effectively run an offense and break down the opposing PG.

I understand that this season is 1 game old, but it seems like Carey and Sidibe are starting where they left off last year. Sidibe, for much of the game, as many (or more) fouls than he did rebounds.

We spent much of the game doing impersonations of Ollie from Hoosiers, repeatedly fumbling the ball and/or dribbling off of our feet/legs.

While I wasn't particularly impressed with UVa either, they were clearly more disciplined and their players seem to have a much higher collective basketball IQ than our players have.

Other than the SEC football aspects of the program, why would anyone want to come and play here? At this point we aren't developing players. We are pathetic offensively. We squeek into the tournament. You'll probably sit the bench and watch the coach's kid jack up bricks. It doesn't matter what you do in practice or in the low competition games because you won't see the court if you're not chosen.

JB will win 20 games with the worst team I’ve ever seen in my lifetime this year one way or another.

But assembling the talent for the team is HIS JOB. He wasn't randomly assigned these players by someone else. He’s not Gordon Bombay in Mighty Ducks.

We don't have an ACC-level point guard. We haven't had a big guy who can score with his back to the basket since Christmas in 2015. And our offense is just five individual games of one-on-one basketball at all times, which is why our assist numbers are always so low.

Last edited:
Jim has never been a good offensive coach. He had superior talent. Our go to guy this year is Hughes. Not anyone of a dozen guys before him that were super talented. Our Point is Carey. Not Sherm, Johnny, or Pearl.JB used to be able to count on guys making plays vs having to design them. Our pipeline to elite talent left when Hop went West. Hopefully Jim has the ability to coach these guys up or we get lucky and land IJ. Based on what we witnessed last night we will be fortunate to finish 500 in conference play.

The team needs an inside presence to work... but we have NOTHING inside. Teams just need to guard the outside and mostly ignore the interior because we cant do anything inside
It was pretty shocking to see five guys outside the 3 point line on several possessions in the first half. Terrible spacing. I’m not a basketball savant but I was like, “uhh this is not how you win.”

We lost to the defending champion who has consistently played the best defense in the country on the opening night of the season with only three players we knew we could trust coming into the season. Let’s step of the ledge and let the season play out a little makes us look the same way before we go too crazy.

Nice try, Upstate. But essentially a fool's errand.

You'll not convince or even slow down the onslaught of the self-styled experts.

They STARTED 2 FRESHMEN Townie. Those guys are in the NBA.

I'm pretty sure if Bennett took our players and JB took his the result would have been the same. We have had since August to get ready and it's the same result it always is against them.

We scored 34 points in the entire game.
Made absolutely no changes to the offense and the fans complaining are the issue.
My god stop acting like the frustration is out of whack.
Our HC is a legend but look at what happened at the end of Bobby Bowden’s tenure, other legends. Jim Boeheim is not god.

They STARTED 2 FRESHMEN Townie. Those guys are in the NBA.

I'm pretty sure if Bennett took our players and JB took his the result would have been the same. We have had since August to get ready and it's the same result it always is against them.

Calm down. Get a grip. It's November 7th. This is essentially a new team. This is going to take a while.

Your point about JB and Bennett switching place is beyond conjecture. It's 95% emotion and 5% logic. But it fits right in here amongst the high decibel whining,

We scored 34 points in the entire game.
Made absolutely no changes to the offense and the fans complaining are the issue.
My god stop acting like the frustration is out of whack.
Our HC is a legend but look at what happened at the end of Bobby Bowden’s tenure, other legends. Jim Boeheim is not god.

The fans complaining isn't any kind of issue to anyone of consequence.

Calm down. Get a grip. It's November 7th. This is essentially a new team. This is going to take a while.

Your point about JB and Bennett switching place is beyond conjecture. It's 95% emotion and 5% logic. But it fits right in here amongst the high decibel whining,

No Townie it is logic and analysis based on past results. Our recruiting and Virginia's is the same. We are getting around the same ranked players. One coach is winning 25 to 30 games a year and the other is winning 18-22.

I've seen this crap since 2015. In management I would say JB is average at his job. He's not a top performer and he's not one of the worst, but he is average. Bennett is significantly above average. One of the best coaches in D-1.

It’s time, but we’ve got this for 3 more seasons...

We’re officially irrelevant nationally and within our own conference. There’s little arguing it as it’s all out there. From the bubble every year to barely on ESPN, we just aren’t what we were.

Until actual changes occur,we can’t expect a whole lot.

Felt like the broadcast was like 90% focused on what Virginia was/wasn’t doing. We were just the other team out there. Sucks.

This is unbelievable.
One of JB’s strengths is his teams are typically in midseason form from the beginning of the year and why we do well from November thru January and then historical have dipped in February.

We could have played this game November 7th, January 7th, March 7th UVA knows how to play against us and shut down our offense.
The most points we have ever scored against a Tony Bennett UVA team is 68 and that is when Malachi Richardson went beastmode in the NCAAT.

We don’t change how we play offense. We aren’t good enough to do that. We don’t even Elite talent. This program hasn’t recruited a scoring big man in 5 years and real PG since Ennis left.
Gbinije was the only guy who played the position above average since then and he was a converted combo guard.
Frank Howard is miles better than what he had at Pg last night and he was average at best.

This team will win games but it’s just the same ole mediocre offense and trying to grind low scoring games team.
People can want better than that for their entertainment dollars.
Sanctions excuse is long gone.

This is unbelievable.
One of JB’s strengths is his teams are typically in midseason form from the beginning of the year and why we do well from November thru January and then historical have dipped in February.

We could have played this game November 7th, January 7th, March 7th UVA knows how to play against us and shut down our offense.
The most points we have ever scored against a Tony Bennett UVA team is 68 and that is when Malachi Richardson went beastmode in the NCAAT.

We don’t change how we play offense. We aren’t good enough to do that. We don’t even Elite talent. This program hasn’t recruited a scoring big man in 5 years and real PG since Ennis left.
Gbinije was the only guy who played the position above average since then and he was a converted combo guard.
Frank Howard is miles better than what he had at Pg last night and he was average at best.

This team will win games but it’s just the same ole mediocre offense and trying to grind low scoring games team.
People can want better than that for their entertainment dollars.
Sanctions excuse is long gone.
"People can want better than that for their entertainment dollars."

So what's your plan?

Clearly this is making you very upset.

The fans complaining isn't any kind of issue to anyone of consequence.
When people stop spending their money it will. Season ticket holders for basketball should be thanked if they have stayed on board the last 5 years.
The product on the court is awful offensively.
They should be thanked. You think people should sit back and take it because JB has won a lot of games.

We are sitting on a timebomb. This is entertainment dollars not free. The HC doesn’t change but everyone complaining about is wrong:

"People can want better than that for their entertainment dollars."

So what's your plan?

Clearly this is making you very upset.
You are ridiculous. It doesn’t matter what my plan is. I have spelled out numerous times. Not going to waste my time now on you when you will just defend the status quo relentlessly.

No Townie it is logic and analysis based on past results. Our recruiting and Virginia's is the same. We are getting around the same ranked players. One coach is winning 25 to 30 games a year and the other is winning 18-22.

I've seen this crap since 2015. In management I would say JB is average at his job. He's not a top performer and he's not one of the worst, but he is average. Bennett is significantly above average. One of the best coaches in D-1.

Virginia is bearing us badly lately in recruiting. It’s not even close.

Virginia is bearing us badly lately in recruiting. It’s not even close.

Yes it is. We had a higher ranked class than them in 2017, 2018, this year was virtually the same and next year jury is still out. The Clark kid was ranked in the 300's. If we started a pg ranked in the 300's this board would say we would go 8-23.

Yes it is. We had a higher ranked class than them in 2017, 2018, this year was virtually the same and next year jury is still out. The Clark kid was ranked in the 300's. If we started a pg ranked in the 300's this board would say we would go 8-23.
And we probably would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom