Program Reset... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Program Reset...

Did UVA’s talent beat us up last night?
Or were we our typically same old self offensively, defensively, and when we fell behind.

It was a lot of things. Talent, coaching and SU being its usual old self. They have a sound fundamental system. We don’t.

As “fans complaining” turns into declining attendance, it’s an issue to people of consequence.

Sure.

But a couple of points. First that hasn't happened yet. And even if it does to a degree, we are far from the break-even point.

Second, is what to do about it. My operational theory is that SU will win fewer games under the next HC. My guess is Wildhack agrees. We are more likely to emulate St Johns and Georgetown than anyone else.

But get a grip and respect the program we’ll still win 8 or 9 ACC games and probably will hit 20 wins conference/NIT/NCAA included. Not go 0-18 or 20 in the league like BC did couple years ago.

Frankie I'm not trying to be mean but this is just the worst attempt to make people feel better in board history.

"Oh you gained a bunch of weight and now weigh 400 lbs? It's OK, nothing to worry about. Because you COULD weigh 600 lbs."

Do you think JW will stand for 3 more years of this?? I can't see that happening despite the legacy Coach Boeheim has left, heck I wouldn't want to end my career on this note.

I truly think JB would be happier sitting on the sideline drinking his Pepsi and letting someone else run the show esp if it was someone like Hop who came "home"

Sure.

But a couple of points. First that hasn't happened yet. And even if it does to a degree, we are far from the break-even point.

Second, is what to do about it. My operational theory is that SU will win fewer games under the next HC. My guess is Wildhack agrees. We are more likely to emulate St Johns and Georgetown than anyone else.

Yeah Fred Lewis and Roy Danforth couldn't win here at all.

The players are fine. They’ve won lots of games at the highest levels of AAU. This is on the coaches ability to install an effective offensive system. We had a 6 game start this year and we come out like that??? That’s coaching.
Are they though?

I’m not trying to be a Boeheim loyalist and perhaps the best thing for the program is for him to retire.
But I see a guy like Sidibe who looks like he just couldn’t possibly care less and would rather be anywhere else than on a basketball court.

I see Dolezaj who works so hard when he’s playing but actually looks like he may have lost weight since his freshman year. Which is inexcusable.

At the end of the day the players have to want it. Etan Thomas and Rak Christmas developed into the players they did because they worked extremely hard when we weren’t watching them.

I see Jalen Carey who obviously works hard and wants it so bad but just isn’t good enough and because of flaws in his game likely never will be.

Then you have five freshmen with great potential but need time to develop before they’re able to be good ACC-level contributors.

I love Hughes but he’s not a generational talent able to carry a team of scrubs and/or raw freshmen on his back to glory.

We can talk about offensive scheme all we want but in the end basketball is about how good the players are and how well they compliment each other and work together.

Are they though?

I’m not trying to be a Boeheim loyalist and perhaps the best thing for the program is for him to retire.
But I see a guy like Sidibe who looks like he just couldn’t possibly care less and would rather be anywhere else than on a basketball court.

I see Dolezaj who works so hard when he’s playing but actually looks like he may have lost weight since his freshman year. Which is inexcusable.

At the end of the day the players have to want it. Etan Thomas and Rak Christmas developed into the players they did because they worked extremely hard when we weren’t watching them.

I see Jalen Carey who obviously works hard and wants it so bad but just isn’t good enough and because of flaws in his game likely never will be.

Then you have five freshmen with great potential but need time to develop before they’re able to be good ACC-level contributors.

I love Hughes but he’s not a generational talent able to carry a team of scrubs and/or raw freshmen on his back to glory.

We can talk about offensive scheme all we want but in the end basketball is about how good the players are and how well they compliment each other and work together.

It. Is. His. Program.

No Townie it is logic and analysis based on past results. Our recruiting and Virginia's is the same. We are getting around the same ranked players. One coach is winning 25 to 30 games a year and the other is winning 18-22.

I've seen this crap since 2015. In management I would say JB is average at his job. He's not a top performer and he's not one of the worst, but he is average. Bennett is significantly above average. One of the best coaches in D-1.
I thought we didn’t get good players anymore. Is that more hyperbole from people who expect 3 players a year all 1-20 in the rankings

We have to stop kidding ourselves, when we sign a recruit ranked 30-100, and tell ourselves a) he's underrated because he's from Europe/Africa/Canada; b) if he signed with Duke, he'd be a top tenner; c) he's a late bloomer; d) JB'll coach'im up; e) he has ideal length for the zone.

As much as i love any kid who chooses to play for us, facts are facts—we're not getting enough top-quality talent, and IF JB really ever 'did his best when the least was expected,' he's not that guy anymore.

And yet, this was just one game. We'll be much better in the next one, and hopefully, we'll build and develop—just from player evolution. Cuz the gameplan and coaching isn't going to evolve.

Would have been real nice to have a player like Kadary on this year's team. A kid who knows how to move, use his body and pace and rhythm to get defenders off-balance (this, based on ten minutes of highlights...), but i'm going to cling to that assessment. Joe G did similar things against bad high school competition, and he'll get a bit better, but i don't think he's got the overall athleticism or size to really make an immediate impact. Which kinda makes GMac's freshman season all the more remarkable.

Kihei Clark- ranked 350-370 depending on outlet. Outplayed every single player on our team

I thought we didn’t get good players anymore. Is that more hyperbole from people who expect 3 players a year all 1-20 in the rankings

Well I think as a team with top 10, possibly top 6 resources that maybe we could get 1 player in those rankings every 3 years? Don't you? Wouldn't that be reasonable or no?

We lost to the defending champion who has consistently played the best defense in the country on the opening night of the season with only three players we knew we could trust coming into the season. Let’s step of the ledge and let the season play out a little makes us look the same way before we go too crazy.

You've got a solid point there.

But the "how" of it - another game where a more talented group of Syracuse players can't do anything right fundamentally (don't move the ball, don't move without the ball) on offense after five years of seeing the exact same problem - makes me think there are bad times ahead.

You've got a solid point there.

But the "how" of it - another game where a more talented group of Syracuse players can't do anything right fundamentally (don't move the ball, don't move without the ball) on offense after five years of seeing the exact same problem - makes me think there are bad times ahead.

Well if we're being honest with ourselves "Defending national champs" is technically accurate but meaningless. The players that got them that title are gone.

I can't emphasize how much I want to be wrong about this, but Eli seems like he might be our worst best-player-on-the-team in as long as I can remember.

I know we've had this conversation before. It was pretty interesting.

Anyway, I think someone was worse.

Well if we're being honest with ourselves "Defending national champs" is technically accurate but meaningless. The players that got them that title are gone.

More the defense thing, which I'd expect to be solid last night. Devoid of context, it is kind of crazy to lose our minds over a terrible offensive game against a well-coached defense in a weird conference/season opener.

Inserting context into the conversation (years of futility, historic offensive ineptitude ever compared to the UVa game a couple years ago, continued reliance on Boeheim's inept offensive scheme), it all makes more sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom