PS: Can Syracuse's Frank Howard rebound from rough season? (SU player evaluations) | Syracusefan.com

PS: Can Syracuse's Frank Howard rebound from rough season? (SU player evaluations)

I haven't had the time to read the article, but based on the title, I would say he has a puncher's chance.

There really wasn't much to the article at all. Basically just saying he needs to improve his shooting and show up against tougher opponents.

I think he'll improve his shot. I think he has a chance to end up a really solid guard that we can rely on. Only thing that could hold him back at this point is not giving JB his full trust and letting his ego get in the way.

Whether posters would like to admit it or not, we've seen brief flashes of high level guard play from Frank. He's capable, he's just gotta relax and cut the bs.

I saw enough in the 2016 late season games and FF run to know this kid has talent.

IMO, Gillon's presence hurt FH's confidence, but feel with JG gone, FH will have a clearer head and can be a very good if not top tier PG in the ACC.

He doesn't need to score to excel. And he can definitely dish out the dimes.

There really wasn't much to the article at all. Basically just saying he needs to improve his shooting and show up against tougher opponents.

I think he'll improve his shot. I think he has a chance to end up a really solid guard that we can rely on. Only thing that could hold him back at this point is not giving JB his full trust and letting his ego get in the way.

Whether posters would like to admit it or not, we've seen brief flashes of high level guard play from Frank. He's capable, he's just gotta relax and cut the bs.

Was a very odd article from Mike. Normally I like his stuff, but as you said, this one didn't have much substance. It was more a brief recap of FH's play last season. Pure filler article.

Yes. Scoop was a frustrating player early in his SU career, but made that turn and became more than serviceable for the team. Frank Howard has the tools to be a guard you can rely on, he just needs to show that on a consistent basis against good competition like he did when SU played soup cans.

If he's going to actually have the ball in his hands a lot, he needs to do a lot more than just improve his shooting and playing well against better opponents.

Frank has to improve his handle and passing tenfold. We cannot have somebody so cavalier with the ball and someone so weak against pressure D. Since we'll have some offensive issues, he needs to be able to beat his man off the bounce and finish inside. Gillon could do that former, but struggled much of the time with the latter. It'd be nice if whoever is handling the ball could finish consistently.

Frank has pretty good form on his shot, so more work and repetitions there should help him become at least solid. That's the area of his game I'm actually least concerned about.

I hope whatever JB sees in Frank manifests itself on the court next year because he has yet to show he's good enough to be a full-time starting PG.

Yes. Scoop was a frustrating player early in his SU career, but made that turn and became more than serviceable for the team. Frank Howard has the tools to be a guard you can rely on, he just needs to show that on a consistent basis against good competition like he did when SU played soup cans.
Scoop did better in his freshman year than Howard has done in two years.

We know Frank can find open teammates. We think, based on November, that he can shoot.

To be determined:

Can he do anything in a half-court offense?
Will he put his arms up and/or move his feet on defense?
Will he settle for the easy layup over the spectacular missed dunk?
Is he going to get consistent minutes? (If not, forget about any decent outside shooting.)

Last season was pretty much a debacle. I've been impressed by some of Howard's skills in the past, but other than a month of good shooting and a decent assist-to-turnover (not great, but better than the starting point guard), he didn't offer much hope that he's capable of playing point guard this season. Hope that changes.

We know Frank can find open teammates. We think, based on November, that he can shoot.

To be determined:

Can he do anything in a half-court offense?
Will he put his arms up and/or move his feet on defense?
Will he settle for the easy layup over the spectacular missed dunk?
Is he going to get consistent minutes? (If not, forget about any decent outside shooting.)

Last season was pretty much a debacle. I've been impressed by some of Howard's skills in the past, but other than a month of good shooting and a decent assist-to-turnover (not great, but better than the starting point guard), he didn't offer much hope that he's capable of playing point guard this season. Hope that changes.

I think Frank can shoot well enough to at least be a threat. He won't shoot 40% from 3, but I don't see why he couldn't shoot 34-36% if he utilizes solid shot selection. In a SSS, he hit 32% this year. If he takes open looks, instead of forced shots, he'll be ok there.

The rest of your questions are part of the unknown. Can he run an offense? Can he make fundamental/easy passes? Can he improve his overall fundamentals and avoid leaving his feet, picking up his dribble and getting stripped easily? Can he score within 5 feet of the basket? Is he too slow and methodical?

It's not just him that needs to get his hands up on D, so I won't blame him. That seems to be a team issue...

Last year when the shot clock was winding down, the ball was in Gillon's hands. I expect it to be in Tyus' hands this year. If Frank has it in his hands, we could be in trouble...

I'd rather see him as another 2G. I just don't see it at PG. I never will. He doesn't play with enough speed or, most importantly, different/changing speeds. Handle needs to tighten up as well. Can't have a guy playing PG at this stage of his career and still have to worry about his damn handle.

Now, he can pass. Having him at SG for stretches (assuming he can be a serviceable shooter) could really open up the offense. We lack passers. Battle was strictly a scorer and will be more of that this coming season. The likelihood of scoring many points in the paint will be slim again so we'll probably see a similar offense being run, imo. This means we need as many players possible to be able to pass and make plays off the bounce. Frank could have some potential here maybe when Battle needs rest or some emergency time at PG with Battle or whomever.

I think Frank can shoot well enough to at least be a threat. He won't shoot 40% from 3, but I don't see why he couldn't shoot 34-36% if he utilizes solid shot selection. In a SSS, he hit 32% this year. If he takes open looks, instead of forced shots, he'll be ok there.

The rest of your questions are part of the unknown. Can he run an offense? Can he make fundamental/easy passes? Can he improve his overall fundamentals and avoid leaving his feet, picking up his dribble and getting stripped easily? Can he score within 5 feet of the basket? Is he too slow and methodical?

It's not just him that needs to get his hands up on D, so I won't blame him. That seems to be a team issue...

Last year when the shot clock was winding down, the ball was in Gillon's hands. I expect it to be in Tyus' hands this year. If Frank has it in his hands, we could be in trouble...
Can he not pick up his dribble 35 feet out and look like a deer in the headlights whenever he is guarded closely?

You can put up with prima donna head cases at some positions if there is enough talent, but you just can't have that with your PG.

Frank doesn't have elite enough talent to put up with any nonsense from him.

I previously posted, that I will trust the staff on whether or not to have him back, but I sure would not be handing him any keys until such time as he might earn them on the court with both play and demeanor.

I'd rather see him as another 2G. I just don't see it at PG. I never will. He doesn't play with enough speed or, most importantly, different/changing speeds. Handle needs to tighten up as well. Can't have a guy playing PG at this stage of his career and still have to worry about his damn handle.

Now, he can pass. Having him at SG for stretches (assuming he can be a serviceable shooter) could really open up the offense. We lack passers. Battle was strictly a scorer and will be more of that this coming season. The likelihood of scoring many points in the paint will be slim again so we'll probably see a similar offense being run, imo. This means we need as many players possible to be able to pass and make plays off the bounce. Frank could have some potential here maybe when Battle needs rest or some emergency time at PG with Battle or whomever.
Putting him as 2g behind Battle would give him about 5 MPG - sounds about right to me based upon what he has shown thus far.

Seriously, I am far from sure he should be allowed to come back, but if he is on the team come fall, I will root for him to show improvement as long as he keeps his head on straight.

It was such a bad article. He needs to work on not making dumb mistakes. His shooting actually progressed well this year from the previous year, and even over the course of the season. The analysis in that one isn't on the level of anyone who actually frequents this site on a semi-regular basis.

Just caught Gerry on the radio saying they expect big things out of Frank next year...:blah:
I know how you feel, but if the coaches think that he has learned his lesson and is going about things the right way and putting in the work to be an ACC point guard next year, I am going to trust them. My hesitation is that point guard is a leadership position and Frank has shown ZERO leadership skills, and I don't think you can teach a kid to be a leader. But, a team can function, so long as the leadership comes from somewhere else, and that is where Tyus comes in. I bet he is a vocal leader on the floor next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom