PS: Can Syracuse's Frank Howard rebound from rough season? (SU player evaluations) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Can Syracuse's Frank Howard rebound from rough season? (SU player evaluations)

There really wasn't much to the article at all. Basically just saying he needs to improve his shooting and show up against tougher opponents.

I think he'll improve his shot. I think he has a chance to end up a really solid guard that we can rely on. Only thing that could hold him back at this point is not giving JB his full trust and letting his ego get in the way.

Whether posters would like to admit it or not, we've seen brief flashes of high level guard play from Frank. He's capable, he's just gotta relax and cut the bs.

I think the ego/confidence point is a big one. One thing I don't think people generally realize is as big a part of all sports, but college hoops in particular in this case, is that kids need to have confidence. If you're unsure of yourself, you're constantly caught in the middle. Like a baseball player who struggles to catch up to the fastball, then cheats and gets out in front of a curve.

What can FH be? I don't know. Starter seems like a bit of a longshot, but if he gets over the ego component and works hard to become a better defensive player and ball-handler, then I don't see any reason he can't be a solid compliment at the point.

The other thing to remember is players who haven't shown much can improve. Not comparing frank to Lazarus Sims, but it's worth pointing out that Sims did nothing for three years and everyone hated the way he dribbled. He wound up being a solid PG for most of the 95-96 season and actually developed a funky but effective offensive game as the year went on. Reached double figures in three of our six tourney games that year.

Point is, if the kid works and feels better about things next year, it seems reasonable to think he could contribute.

I think the ego/confidence point is a big one. One thing I don't think people generally realize is as big a part of all sports, but college hoops in particular in this case, is that kids need to have confidence. If you're unsure of yourself, you're constantly caught in the middle. Like a baseball player who struggles to catch up to the fastball, then cheats and gets out in front of a curve.

What can FH be? I don't know. Starter seems like a bit of a longshot, but if he gets over the ego component and works hard to become a better defensive player and ball-handler, then I don't see any reason he can't be a solid compliment at the point.

The other thing to remember is players who haven't shown much can improve. Not comparing frank to Lazarus Sims, but it's worth pointing out that Sims did nothing for three years and everyone hated the way he dribbled. He wound up being a solid PG for most of the 95-96 season and actually developed a funky but effective offensive game as the year went on. Reached double figures in three of our six tourney games that year.

Point is, if the kid works and feels better about things next year, it seems reasonable to think he could contribute.
Can you talk to GMAC and teach him how to speak about a player expectations instead of doing what he did.
You gave reasonable expectations that hopefully Frank Howard can achieve.
Gerry said the coaches have high expectations for Frank Howard. If the coaches have high expectations the fans will as well.

So now expectations are higher for Frank even though you outlined perfectly what we should hope for.

Agree with most of your post, but Laz was way better than just solid his senior season.

I definitely think Frank has the talent to do it. He needs to understand his role better. I think early in the year he was trying to take the next step after 2016's FF run. Understandably he may have thought his was more of a lead role. He was the only returning ball handler and of the 4 returning players he logically could have thought he may have to be the #2 option after Lydon. He wasn't ready for that. What he needed to do was exactly what he did in the FF run which was be a ball handler, not THE ball handler. He also needed to penetrate and distribute which he did fairly well the FF run. He needed to score when left alone on his drives. He also needed to learn earlier that Gbinije and Cooney's roles were being adequately filled by White and Battle. Gillon should have been a bonus player that could take some of the ball handling and distributing load off of Frank. Instead he tried to replace G and TC himself. He started taking more shots and stopped distributing when he penetrated. That wasn't his role and the role he tried to fill was already filled. I'm not sure he figured that out. But if he does, I believe he can be the PG we need. He has so much more talent than a player like Z Sims did. But Z knew his role and executed it very well his senior year. Frank can do that next year. He showed very good court vision during the FF run. He has the size and athleticism to be a handful when he drives. But he has to make the defense believe he will pass, by actually passing. Once they start to anticipate the pass he will have more layups than he can imagine. He has nice shooting stroke. If he works hrd at that he could be an adequate shooter next year...when left with an open J. I don't think he'll be the guy to create his own shot on the perimeter there is no reason he can't hit the open J. Will he be the PG next year? We'll see. Its up for grabs and unless we add another to our class he'll have a great opportunity.

Agree with most of your post, but Laz was way better than just solid his senior season.

Agreed -- I meant he actually developed into a decent scorer -- funky but solid. Avereaged 6/game for the season but I feel like he was more of an 8 or 9/ game guy.

That would be fine if Franks issues were strictly on-court.

I definitely think Frank has the talent to do it. He needs to understand his role better. I think early in the year he was trying to take the next step after 2016's FF run. Understandably he may have thought his was more of a lead role. He was the only returning ball handler and of the 4 returning players he logically could have thought he may have to be the #2 option after Lydon. He wasn't ready for that. What he needed to do was exactly what he did in the FF run which was be a ball handler, not THE ball handler. He also needed to penetrate and distribute which he did fairly well the FF run. He needed to score when left alone on his drives. He also needed to learn earlier that Gbinije and Cooney's roles were being adequately filled by White and Battle. Gillon should have been a bonus player that could take some of the ball handling and distributing load off of Frank. Instead he tried to replace G and TC himself. He started taking more shots and stopped distributing when he penetrated. That wasn't his role and the role he tried to fill was already filled. I'm not sure he figured that out. But if he does, I believe he can be the PG we need. He has so much more talent than a player like Z Sims did. But Z knew his role and executed it very well his senior year. Frank can do that next year. He showed very good court vision during the FF run. He has the size and athleticism to be a handful when he drives. But he has to make the defense believe he will pass, by actually passing. Once they start to anticipate the pass he will have more layups than he can imagine. He has nice shooting stroke. If he works hrd at that he could be an adequate shooter next year...when left with an open J. I don't think he'll be the guy to create his own shot on the perimeter there is no reason he can't hit the open J. Will he be the PG next year? We'll see. Its up for grabs and unless we add another to our class he'll have a great opportunity.

That's a pretty glowing report of Frank. I respect your posts and contributions here but what makes you so optimistic? More importantly how do you see this athleticism you speak of? I see a guy who looks like he is moving in molasses against anyone good.

I'm hoping your optimism comes to fruition. The reality is that we saw ONLY a couple of possessions here/there in the tournament last year of solid play. A very small sample size. He probably wasn't even on their scouting reports, frankly. Against anyone good this past season, more often than not, he turned it over, picked up his dribble all the time, threw up bad lobs, and showed terrible court demeanor. Those are red flags big time which cannot be ignored if this is the guy who is going to be the primary ballhandler. You don't see that garbage anywhere else. Scary honestly.

Last edited:
His bball IQ needs to improve. I don't know that's possible. I think that plays a part in why he hesitates and seems to be going 3/4 speed, because he's thinking instead of playing, so that he doesn't screw up. I'll try and remain hopeful, but the sands of time are sinking.

If the freshman Howard that we saw in the Sweet 16 vs. Gonzaga comes back then we could surprise some people next season.

That's a pretty glowing report of Frank. I respect your posts and contributions here but what makes you so optimistic? More importantly how do you see this athleticism you speak of? I see a guy who looks like he is moving in molasses against anyone good.

I'm hoping your optimism comes to fruition. The reality is that we saw ONLY a couple of possessions here/there in the tournament last year of solid play. A very small sample size. He probably wasn't even on their scouting reports, frankly. Against anyone good this past season, more often than not, he turned it over, picked up his dribble all the time, threw up bad lobs, and showed terrible court demeanor. Those are red flags big time which cannot be ignored if this is the guy who is going to be the primary ballhandler. You don't see that garbage anywhere else. Scary honestly.
I don't think I was especially "glowing" more hopeful. Everything you say about this year is true. I think my point is Frank was trying to do too many things and we don't need him to do that much. I think you undersell his FF contributions. He was one of the 8 players that saw time and he saw a lot of time during the tournament (out of the blue honestly). I think many of you are expecting too much and honestly Frank may not be capable of filling those expectations. We need a PG. Not a lead guard or "primary guard," Just someone to get the ball into the hands of the true play makers, whoever they end up being besides Battle and Thompson. If youre looking for Frank to be our 3rd best player, you're likely to be disappointed. I'm looking for him to be a contributor. A role player. I'm certainly not sold on him. I just think he MAY be capable to do the few things we need him to do. A little history lesson from someone who has "been there done that" like his new assistant coach could not hurt. I will take a senior year Allen Griffin any time as SU's PG. Sophmore Griff...not so much! All said, I would love for SU to bring in one of the other guard names that have been tossed around.

We know Frank can find open teammates. We think, based on November, that he can shoot.

To be determined:

Can he do anything in a half-court offense?
Will he put his arms up and/or move his feet on defense?
Will he settle for the easy layup over the spectacular missed dunk?
Is he going to get consistent minutes? (If not, forget about any decent outside shooting.)

Last season was pretty much a debacle. I've been impressed by some of Howard's skills in the past, but other than a month of good shooting and a decent assist-to-turnover (not great, but better than the starting point guard), he didn't offer much hope that he's capable of playing point guard this season. Hope that changes.
You use one month to say he can shoot, and ignore the other 4 months?

If he's not kicked out of the program whatever indiscretions he had should be water under the bridge.

Agree about his past indiscretions, but that still doesn't excuse his attitude or demeanor.

lol if Frank (and I'm not predicting either way) starts putting together a good season next year some heads on here gonna explode

See, you misinterpret criticism and concerns (in the current state of things) as unworthy fans or bad posters. If Frank plays well and turns it around I would be thrilled beyond belief. He would've come a long way and deserving of major praise. I just am not prediciting that but maybe you have prophet-like visions.

I don't think I was especially "glowing" more hopeful. Everything you say about this year is true. I think my point is Frank was trying to do too many things and we don't need him to do that much. I think you undersell his FF contributions. He was one of the 8 players that saw time and he saw a lot of time during the tournament (out of the blue honestly). I think many of you are expecting too much and honestly Frank may not be capable of filling those expectations. We need a PG. Not a lead guard or "primary guard," Just someone to get the ball into the hands of the true play makers, whoever they end up being besides Battle and Thompson. If youre looking for Frank to be our 3rd best player, you're likely to be disappointed. I'm looking for him to be a contributor. A role player. I'm certainly not sold on him. I just think he MAY be capable to do the few things we need him to do. A little history lesson from someone who has "been there done that" like his new assistant coach could not hurt. I will take a senior year Allen Griffin any time as SU's PG. Sophmore Griff...not so much! All said, I would love for SU to bring in one of the other guard names that have been tossed around.

I hear you. I wasn't going to dive into his potential psyche but what you say could definitely be true. We both want the same. Just serviceable play and also, on the other end, to slide over and get his hands up and/or get out on shooters.

Can you talk to GMAC and teach him how to speak about a player expectations instead of doing what he did.
You gave reasonable expectations that hopefully Frank Howard can achieve.
Gerry said the coaches have high expectations for Frank Howard. If the coaches have high expectations the fans will as well.

So now expectations are higher for Frank even though you outlined perfectly what we should hope for.
I think the post you referenced said that players need to have confidence to achieve. So Gerry saying that they expect good things from Frank should bring his confidence level down? I must admit, your posts do make me scratch my head.

I think the post you referenced said that players need to have confidence to achieve. So Gerry saying that they expect good things from Frank should bring his confidence level down? I must admit, your posts do make me scratch my head.
I love your posts because you think you bother me. I could careless what you think about my posts.

Scratch your head. Where did I say Frank's confidence would go down? I said keep expectations low so the player doesn't have a high bar to clear. Gerry saying expect great things instead of just saying expect the kid to get better puts higher expectations on the kid. Higher expectations on the kid means the fanbase should expect more.

Go continue scratching your head though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom