PS Day 1 observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS Day 1 observations

He's clearly not Red Smith and will occasionally brain fart, but I give him credit for providing a lot of recruiting articles. Am keeping an open mind as we enter the season.

Not concerned with what a reporter is able to see at a practice, only concern should be how the team performs in the first game.

That's about all the media was allowed to view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on. Fine, then don't write an article if you are not allowed to watch enough to provide solid info. He's reporting on a football practice. I'm really happy to know our head coach wore khakis.

If you are going to be our eyes and ears, why not report on things like what players have bulked up or slimmed down, what was the cadence and pace of the players like, things like that. This was a laughable waste of time... Nothing new from this "journalist."

Does this kid want to be a newspaper sports reporter or a novelist? His writing style (at least with this article) is more like a fictional piece than a newspaper piece.

Sports articles in newspapers used to include poetry. (The reason Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance is famous? Newspaper poem.) I'd love to see the board's reaction if that happened.

The style of writing is great for feature writing, not a glorified blog post. That's for sure. But the guy's pretty green. Give him a break.

Come on. Fine, then don't write an article if you are not allowed to watch enough to provide solid info. He's reporting on a football practice. I'm really happy to know our head coach wore khakis.

If you are going to be our eyes and ears, why not report on things like what players have bulked up or slimmed down, what was the cadence and pace of the players like, things like that. This was a laughable waste of time... Nothing new from this "journalist."

And then you'd be complaining that there was no coverage of the team. You people will complain about anything.

I agree with iommi. I know that access was limited, but instead of talking about what Hicks wore, what about some on-field impressions. He does a good job describing how Allen looks out there, but what about the new guys, or any noticeable changes from Spring. I'm especially curious to know how the OL other than Macky and Hickey are looking. Do they seem bigger than last year?

"Let him throw a deep post, a comeback, a seam route. Then I'll decide if it has pop. A lot of quarterbacks (and non-football players) can throw a ball 15 yards with pop."

What a douche.

i can throw a 15 yarder with pop. I snapped a frat brothers finger bone in half from a 15 yard pass.

I am 5'11" 195 and didnt play a down of varsity football at the high school level.

FYI He gave me the x-rays as a souvenir.

anyway... not sure what you want him to say. he is the eyes and ears there.

I agree with iommi. I know that access was limited, but instead of talking about what Hicks wore, what about some on-field impressions. He does a good job describing how Allen looks out there, but what about the new guys, or any noticeable changes from Spring. I'm especially curious to know how the OL other than Macky and Hickey are looking. Do they seem bigger than last year?

There's something really funny about everyone complaining about Cohen's "reporting" and then asking for info like "do they seem bigger than last year?" I'm not trying to be a pr!ck here, but seriously, the kid saw 30 mins of practice with no pads. Got a little flowery with a lot of the descriptions but the bottom line is that there isn't a lot of hard news yet.

That's about all the media was allowed to view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the presser with SS and learned more than what he wrote up. Rahme would say "we only saw a bit, but so-and-so looked bigger, etc."

And then you'd be complaining that there was no coverage of the team. You people will complain about anything.
What do you mean, 'You people'?
tropic-thunder.jpg

"Let him throw a deep post, a comeback, a seam route. Then I'll decide if it has pop. A lot of quarterbacks (and non-football players) can throw a ball 15 yards with pop."

What a douche.

Agree with pretty much everyone.

We have rarely seen such a blend of arrogance and aspiration in a sportwriter at the Post-Standard.

Not the time or the place for a youngster who never played the game to interject himself into a puff piece on day 1 of practice. As All says, he could really use an editor at times.

Nothing wrong with ambition. I for one much prefer his one on one stories (he interviews people, finds interesting angles well) to his analytic pieces.

He reminds me a little of of Frank DeFord (sans creepy moustache). Not sure that is a compliment but for better or worse, I think he is not long for Syracuse

Maybe he's trying to land a gig writing for fationista's or say yes to the dress?

I'm not a fan so far but I'm sure some of it has to do with losing Rahme and my thirst for knowledge about this team since we have a new staff and the ACC.

i can throw a 15 yarder with pop. I snapped a frat brothers finger bone in half from a 15 yard pass.

I am 5'11" 195 and didnt play a down of varsity football at the high school level.

"I'll decide". Who made him the arbiter of Pop?

The kid clearly had a calcium deficiency. Rickits perhaps.

? How can you write a first day of practice report and we not find out what MacDonald was wearing? Was he there? Orange? Blue? White? Gray? Shorts or sweats? This is going to kill our ability to keep the best NYS talent at home.:bang:

Like the other articles, I don't have an issue with this article. I also don't get the frustration with the amount of content. Every media person there has said the same thing. They weren't able to witness anything except warming up and a couple drills. Pretty useless for the media. So the hope for some detailed content isn't going to happen.

As fans who want to get as much info as possible, we're in a no-win situation right now with the PS, so we might as well get used to it.

We're not getting Rahme back there, which is a twofer (the bad kind). One for not getting his type of content, understanding of the game, and familiarity the roster from having been around. Two for not getting the insider access he had.

Cohen writes from the younger, less polished perspective. And he only gets to watch for less than an hour. So we're going to get unedited comments like the one Go quoted. That's just how it's going to go now. It's hard to imagine that this style of writing is going to encourage Shafer to open up access to one of the new PS writers. Mink seems a little less "edgy" (if that's what we're calling it), so maybe he can keep trying to get in the door, he'd have a better chance.

Going to be a long road to August 31, but we'll get there.

As fans who want to get as much info as possible, we're in a no-win situation right now with the PS, so we might as well get used to it.

We're not getting Rahme back there, which is a twofer (the bad kind). One for not getting his type of content, understanding of the game, and familiarity the roster from having been around. Two for not getting the insider access he had.

Cohen writes from the younger, less polished perspective. And he only gets to watch for less than an hour. So we're going to get unedited comments like the one Go quoted. That's just how it's going to go now. It's hard to imagine that this style of writing is going to encourage Shafer to open up access to one of the new PS writers. Mink seems a little less "edgy" (if that's what we're calling it), so maybe he can keep trying to get in the door, he'd have a better chance.

Going to be a long road to August 31, but we'll get there.

Could be worse. Camp could be covered by a more whiz bang writer.

I don't remember much more substance from previous years compared to this first day camp observations, but I admit this was not good. I've optimistically defended Cohen but he's losing me. I don't care what coaches wear.

I take it he took that line out? Because I just read the piece and it's nowhere to be found.

Basically every writer under 30 is trying to be Bill Simmons.

Again, for anyone that missed it, here is Rahme's Day 1 report from last year. No discussion on what the coach's were wearing, but heavy focus on Broyld.

This is interesting b/c Rahme is focused on how big a role Broyld is poised to play. Then Broyld went out and got 43 touches in 13 games. I mean, I loved Rahme and I'm not even saying he was wrong, per se. I also wouldn't argue Cohen's article gave us much of anything to go on, but I hardly see it as some sort of disgrace of journalism compared to Rahme's article, which gave little information and was at least somewhat misleading re: Broyld.