PS - JB on next year | Syracusefan.com

PS - JB on next year

cuseincincy

All Conference
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...14-15_jim_boeheim_weighs_in.html#incart_river

Didn't see the above article by Donna listed or posted on yet.

After reading this and a little more thinking, I've changed my mind a bit on next years starters. I think Gbinije will start. Be it at SF or PG he will be with the first 5 on the floor. That tells me either Joseph r McCullough come out with the first group along with Gbinije, Roberson, Rak and Trevor. Probably doesn't matter much since these will likely be the top 6 regardless of whose starting.

I think the only way G starts at PG is if Joseph shows he isn't quite ready. As Donna said, JB dismissed the idea of him starting at SF. JB knows if this team is going to go anywhere, Roberson and McC are going to be the ones to help do it.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...14-15_jim_boeheim_weighs_in.html#incart_river

Didn't see the above article by Donna listed or posted on yet.

After reading this and a little more thinking, I've changed my mind a bit on next years starters. I think Gbinije will start. Be it at SF or PG he will be with the first 5 on the floor. That tells me either Joseph r McCullough come out with the first group along with Gbinije, Roberson, Rak and Trevor. Probably doesn't matter much since these will likely be the top 6 regardless of whose starting.

It all depends on three things:

1] How much of a sophomore jump Roberson makes [or doesn't make]
2] How ready McCullough is to contribute from day 1
3] How ready Joseph is to contribute from day 1

If those three questions produce answers that are favorable, then Gbinije doesn't start and provides valuable versatility backing up three positions. If any of those three things don't come to pass--and it doesn't matter which one--then Gbinije will be in solid position to start.

Personally speaking, I think the starting five is going to be:

Joseph
Cooney
Roberson
McCullough
Rak

In addition to the above, it will be interesting to see if:

1] Coleman can play
2] BJ is ready to contribute
3] Patterson is ready to contribute

If a couple of things fall into place--and I recognize that it is a tall order--than the depth / outside shooting could be much improved next year. We'll be generally quite inexperienced, though, at several key positions, but the potential is there for this to be a more effective scoring team--which would be a welcome change.

If those three questions produce answers that are favorable, then Gbinije doesn't start and provides valuable versatility backing up three positions. If any of those three things don't come to pass--and it doesn't matter which one--then Gbinije will be in solid position to start.

Joseph
Cooney
Roberson
McCullough
Rak

1] Coleman can play

If a couple of things fall into place--and I recognize that it is a tall order--than the depth / outside shooting could be much improved next year. We'll be generally quite inexperienced, though, at several key positions, but the potential is there for this to be a more effective scoring team--which would be a welcome change.
I was right where you are and you're 100% correct on the 3 things it depends on. But in order for that to happen 3 players that did not contribute last year would have to jump ahead of one who did in Gbinije. I thing best case scenario for the team is Gbinije being the first person off the bench regardless of position. I could even envision him replacing Rak and having McC play the 5 for limited minutes. Your last 3 questions will determine how good this team will be. Good or very good. Without those 3 its a 6 1/2 player team.

I still think Kaleb starts. Not a knock on G. Kaleb is a true point guard and I think G gives us the most by filling in the gaps. That said, nothing yet under McCullough's belt so I think start of the season like so.
PG Kaleb
SG Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooney
SF MikeG
PF Roberson
C Roc

Only other way I see it if Hammer is ready:
PG Kaleb
SG Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooney
SF Roberson
PF McCullough
C Roc

Joseph
Cooney
Roberson
McCullough
Rak

1] Coleman can play

Great post. I agree completely. For some reason I am optimistic about BJ and worried about Bus. BJ provides height and some shooting potential. Right now I see Bus as a solid defender with his long arms and a potential 3 point threat. I am rooting for him though! I agree with cincy; any one of those three uncertainties you mentioned could have a big impact on the team's success this year.

Man buss barely gets a mention...

Yep. One might infer that JB doesn't see him as contributing much, however, that would seem hard to believe when so many of next year's players are inexperienced. What goal has he set for Buss to achieve in order to contribute? Shooter? Defensive "pest"? Backup PG to free G up for other positions?

If JB is indeed just going to roll the ball out there and see what gels, a 9-man bench could just as easily come out of it if they all perform equally well/poorly. If 5-6 players gel, then we're back to the short bench. Again, it's Gump and his chocolates, eh?-VBOF

Great post. I agree completely. For some reason I am optimistic about BJ and worried about Bus. BJ provides height and some shooting potential. Right now I see Bus as a solid defender with his long arms and a potential 3 point threat. I am rooting for him though! I agree with cincy; any one of those three uncertainties you mentioned could have a big impact on the team's success this year.
Oopsy, good thought. I throw BJ into the mix as well and in fact, he might start along side Roberson if they use G as a utility again. Stretch out the defense with a wing who can shoot the long ball.

If JB want the team to run, then Silent G won't be the starting pg. I don't think he can be the man to do that consistently.

If JB want the team to run, then Silent G won't be the starting pg. I don't think he can be the man to do that consistently.
Either Him or BJ at the 3 would make for a great running squad, especially considering the gazelles we have at the 4

80's anyone?

I think he can. We got buckets in transition when he was the primary ball handler.

One good way to overcome a lack of playmaking is to beat the defense to the rim.

I think he can. We got buckets in transition when he was the primary ball handler.

One good way to overcome a lack of playmaking is to beat the defense to the rim.

Yes, that's one area in which Gbinije could shine. It was the half-court where he was ineffective. In (rare) transition opportunities, he looked much more natural than Ennis.

Yes, that's one area in which Gbinije could shine. It was the half-court where he was ineffective. In (rare) transition opportunities, he looked much more natural than Ennis.

I don't really remember this re: Gbinjie and transition. Maybe it happened. I tried to forget much of the offense. This season is SO intriguing. So many unknowns. The offense can only get better, I would think. Really interested to see if Roberson breaks out. I have a feeling he will. If he and Joseph are solid I think we will be good. I expect Cooney, Rak (hopefully), and Silent G to improve a little. I just don't see CMac to be a one and done type player. I have a bad feeling he will be somebody who frustrates us quite a bit. A couple WOW plays then lots of What plays with coasting and taking plays off. Hope I'm wrong. Roberson has some real natural talent and ability who just wasn't given enough time to shine last year. He'll be all over the court.

I don't really remember this re: Gbinjie and transition. Maybe it happened. I tried to forget much of the offense. This season is SO intriguing. So many unknowns. The offense can only get better, I would think. Really interested to see if Roberson breaks out. I have a feeling he will. If he and Joseph are solid I think we will be good. I expect Cooney, Rak (hopefully), and Silent G to improve a little. I just don't see CMac to be a one and done type player. I have a bad feeling he will be somebody who frustrates us quite a bit. A couple WOW plays then lots of What plays with coasting and taking plays off. Hope I'm wrong. Roberson has some real natural talent and ability who just wasn't given enough time to shine last year. He'll be all over the court.

Gbinije wasn't exactly a transition terror by Syracuse standards; he just happened to be less tentative than the guy he backed up. He probably only pushed the break ten times all season, so it didn't exactly stand out.

Regarding McCullough: it'll be really interesting to see the fan reaction if he's that kind of player ("low motor"); we've already got two likely starters who many perceive to play that way. A starting front line of three guys with a rep for taking plays off could lead to some epic posts on here.

Agree on Roberson (and don't agree with some of what was said about him last season). He wasn't given a good opportunity, but I think he's the best player on the team. Hopefully he plays a lot of minutes.

AZOrange said:
Man buss barely gets a mention...

Because he can only play one position and has Cooney and Gbinije ahead of him. And if BJ is a legit player at the 2 I would assume he is ahead of him as well. Just don't see Buss getting much run here during his stay.

Because he can only play one position and has Cooney and Gbinije ahead of him. And if BJ is a legit player at the 2 I would assume he is ahead of him as well. Just don't see Buss getting much run here during his stay.

It sounds like everyone is throwing Buss under the bus. What a short lived career.

I agree with most of what was said. G very well could be a "starting 6th man" at 3 positions and rack up as much minutes as anyone, as one of JB's trusted, loyalty players. I expect it could be a bit different than in the past where the person replaced was just a token starter, though.

If we want to run like JB said we would, it would make sense we see a deeper bench than usual, and maybe more pressing(as well as fouls) than we've grown accustomed to. I know there are some on here that aren't excited about such a prospect(or at least weren't when a certain old-timer but board newb suggested it last season), but I know that plenty of us are. Maybe I'm dreaming when I hope for a deep bench with a lot of players getting literal "run", but it at least seems more plausible than in the not too distant past. Kaleb throwing some alley oops to BJ, CM, etc on the break would be welcome. JB will get an opportunity to prove if he deserves to be ranked higher than 12th currently if he can work well with what he has this season.

Last edited:
Nobody knows anything right now with so many new players or players with new responsibilities. JB will sort it all out in the fall based on what the players show him.

Edit: One thing we do know:

Gbinije as a point guard = Stevie Thompson as a point guard.

BJ won't be playing 2 -- he's going to be entrenched at 3 the rest of his career.

Nobody knows anything right now with so many new players or players with new responsibilities. JB will sort it all out in the fall based on what the players show him.

Edit: One thing we do know:

Gbinije as a point guard = Stevie Thompson as a point guard.

That might be the only way they are alike.

If you are worried about Bus, its because you saw him play last year. Ouch! Hopefully he can find a way to contribute.

It sounds like everyone is throwing Buss under the bus. What a short lived career.

I agree with most of what was said. G very well could be a "starting 6th man" at 3 positions and rack up as much minutes as anyone, as one of JB's trusted, loyalty players. I expect it could be a bit different than in the past where the person replaced was just a token starter, though.

If we want to run like JB said we would, it would make sense we see a deeper bench than usual, and maybe more pressing(as well as fouls) than we've grown accustomed to. I know there are some on here that aren't excited about such a prospect(or at least weren't when a certain old-timer but board newb suggested it last season), but I know that plenty of us are. Maybe I'm dreaming when I hope for a deep bench with a lot of players getting literal "run", but it at least seems more plausible than in the not too distant past. Kaleb throwing some alley oops to BJ, CM, etc on the break would be welcome. JB will get an opportunity to prove if he deserves to be ranked higher than 12th currently if he can work well with what he has this season.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Buss. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him carve out a role in a reserve capacity this year. Kid is an active defender and he can shoot the three.

We need shooters.

I expect this year's team to shoot the ball collectively better than they did last year. But it is important that players like BJ, Buss, Gbinije, Joseph, and even Roberson all demonstrate that they can stroke it.

My money is on Buss surprising people this year.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Buss. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him carve out a role in a reserve capacity this year. Kid is an active defender and he can shoot the three.

We need shooters.

I expect this year's team to shoot the ball collectively better than they did last year. But it is important that players like BJ, Buss, Gbinije, Joseph, and even Roberson all demonstrate that they can stroke it.

My money is on Buss surprising people this year.

I certainly hope so - I believe Patterson has it in him.

Ten or fifteen years ago I'd have also been fully on-board with this prediction. This year I'll take more of a wait-and-see approach. Boeheim has really tightened up in the past two seasons; if he continues to be conservative with the bench, we'll continue to see able would-be contributors sitting on it while the top 6 or 7 play 200 minutes.

Gbinije wasn't exactly a transition terror by Syracuse standards; he just happened to be less tentative than the guy he backed up. He probably only pushed the break ten times all season, so it didn't exactly stand out.
It's funny, that's actually why I remember them. There was one play where he caught the outlet at the opponent's three point line, turned, and fired it to a streaking Roberson for a dunk. I was temporarily stunned and confused by what I saw, so it stands out.