PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline

The NCAA being "swamped" is not an excuse. If the work is done, and everything sent in, the NCAA shouldn't be able to play God with to the futures of these kids. They need to get off their ass and get it looked at...Other people get fired for not getting their work done on time, regardless of work load. If they can't get it done, hire more people...

Article is a couple days old and discussed in other threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These kids know from 7th grade on (if not earlier) that they want to play basketball in college. Perhaps they should be encouraged to take more responsibility for their academics in high school -- rather than just be idolized for their basketball skills. From all accounts, Tyler is a nice kid, but it is incomprehensible how someone would put himself in a position where his academic standing is still unresolved on September 1.

These kids know from 7th grade on (if not earlier) that they want to play basketball in college. Perhaps they should be encouraged to take more responsibility for their academics in high school -- rather than just be idolized for their basketball skills. From all accounts, Tyler is a nice kid, but it is incomprehensible how someone would put himself in a position where his academic standing is still unresolved on September 1.

I would agree with you except that the only reason we are on here talking about this is because we are truly more concerned about the impact of Tyler's ineligibility on the program than we are on the young man's future and whether or not he gets an education. If that is what he has historically been surrounded by when was he supposed to come to the understanding that there was a reason to take responsibility for his academics?

Some kids learn to take responsibility and others don't. The ones that do move on to the next level, the ones that don't shouldn't move on, except that people value basketball skills more highly than they value whether or not the kid takes care of his academics....so we look for ways to move them on anyway.

Agree 100%, it's sad that no one pushes them in academics like athletics!

Agree 100%, it's sad that no one pushes them in academics like athletics!
We don't know that "no one pushes them in academics". Teenagers make all sorts of baffling decisions and each kid has their own strengths, weaknesses, situations, issues, etc. People have failures and successes at different times in their lives. From what I have read, Roberson is a good kid who is going to make the best of the situation, whichever way it goes. I respect him for that.

100% right and that's why it seems like more and more kids are going to prep school because they haven't done the work. Of course some go because they think they are going to get better offers, but generally that's not the case. It usually comes down to academics. That's what's kind of odd about this case. I'm sure if the school and Tyler thought he wouldn't qualify, they probably wouldn't be playing this waiting game. Is there more to the story than what is being reported. It's hard to tell.

I find this entire line of comment rather funny. In this country, from a young age, parents are spending so much money, time and effort on providing kids the best athletic opportunities they can provide. Extra coaching, practice time, teams, etc. Too often, academics is left to the schools. Yes tutors may be found, but usually only when the child is struggling, not to help the child excel. The amount of attention and acclaim given to the football or basketball star vs the valadictorian, is sad. Yet comments suggest that isnt it sad that a player didnt focus on his academics.

Now take the issue of a star athlete, projected/destined to go far in sports. To suggest that our society would not honor those highly prized and sought after skills is just incorrect. To suggest that a child could process this all and still on his own value the importance of an education, even if only to gain the required admission to the next level, is a bit hopeful. I do not know Tyler's background so i will not speak of him individually, but rather to the large number of kids from tougher backgrounds than most of us will ever know, to suggest that they have the guidance and support that even the proverbial average child has, is probably optimistic.

... And while I'm at it, in a "when the German's attacked Pearl Harbor" kind of a way, College athletics, and the entire business around it, is just that: a business. Johny Football has taught us that again. The disingenuousness of the NCAA has become offensive, not only to the atheletes is pretends to protect, but the entire higher educational system of which it is a part. This episode with Tyler is one more in a long line of issues with the NCAA. I believe that the end is near for this institution. And it could not get here soon enough.

College basketball for many of these kids is the minor leagues of professional basketball. Let's not pretend they are here for academics. Some are, like a Craig Forth, who's future was always in the classroom, not the next level. But for players like Tyler, he's here for one primary reason, to play at the next level. So it's not surprising to me that he has been concentrating on basketball first, with academics a secondary consideration.

College basketball for many of these kids is the minor leagues of professional basketball. Let's not pretend they are here for academics. Some are, like a Craig Forth, who's future was always in the classroom, not the next level. But for players like Tyler, he's here for one primary reason, to play at the next level. So it's not surprising to me that he has been concentrating on basketball first, with academics a secondary consideration.
And that is exactly my point. I hate to make this about Tyler because he is a good kid with two parents who care about him. But it appears he is an example of what happens when academics become a "secondary consideration." What was going on in that school on the part of his teachers and coaches and guidance counselors and school administrators? Wasn't anyone paying attention to the NCAA's academic requirements?

And that is exactly my point. I hate to make this about Tyler because he is a good kid with two parents who care about him. But it appears he is an example of what happens when academics become a "secondary consideration." What was going on in that school on the part of his teachers and coaches and guidance counselors and school administrators? Wasn't anyone paying attention to the NCAA's academic requirements?
we lost our starting center just two years ago. The same could be said about Syracuse University.

Got to take this from another viewpoint...how did 'Cuse miss this with his grades etc. I presume there is background checks, transcripts etc looked at before a final offer...this smacks of the same error in judgement we have had with members of the team academically...seems like we should know if kid is going to qualify or not...or am i just naive?

It's Good to Be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

Got to take this from another viewpoint...how did 'Cuse miss this with his grades etc. I presume there is background checks, transcripts etc looked at before a final offer...this smacks of the same error in judgement we have had with members of the team academically...seems like we should know if kid is going to qualify or not...or am i just naive?

Who said we missed anything? We probably knew very well of his academic issues and were hopeful they could be cleared up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cto

especially when there were still other guys available with Cuse on their list

the way it comes off if he isn't given a awnser today is the ncaa just doesn't give a crap about tyler roberson or his elgibility. They had 3 weeks to lookup a few classes and say ok your cleared its not that hard.

Probably depends on the school. If they have lots of D1 athletes coming through, then they probably were aware. If they don't, then probably not. Some schools just have s*****y guidance departments too. Depends on where you live.

I don't think most kids 9-10th grade know anything about the eligibility requirements. I'm sure some of you have kids around that age - if they play sports, ask them if they know. I would guess most wouldn't. Probably shouldn't make a difference, but kids are kids, some are inclined to study and do well, some aren't. I finished high school with probably a 2.5 at best, and if it wasn't for outstanding SAT scores would probably have been stuck at a s*** school.

A lot of these kids have already dug a HUGE HOLE by the time they realize they need to qualify. Which is why you see a lot of sketchy transcripts that bog down the process. Plenty of these kids fail their way through 9-10th grade, transfer a lot (and if they're going to an SEC school usually 11th grade is a wash as well), and then manage to take 3 or 4 years of courses (while getting all A's) in one year and a summer.

if Roberson is not cleared can we all agree not to have 50 "no seasons without drama!" Posts or "jb has no control" posts? TIA.

That's all conjecture look at the Roselle Catholic Link, It's on the Student and you can't tell me the NCAA still doesn't have it in for SU Basketball.

That's all conjecture look at the Roselle Catholic Link, It's on the Student and you can't tell me the NCAA still doesn't have it in for SU Basketball.

This is all a big cluster f of a clown show. Think about this for a minute. He knew what SAT score he had, the school knew what his Core Score would need to be to gain eligibility, and they knew the grades he needed in those summer classes to achieve it. All the grades are in. The answer is right there.

My theory: Tyler passed those classes and achieved the grades he needed, otherwise JB would not have stated in the press that he expected both players (Obokoh) to be cleared. The hang up is most likely the classes themselves. What were they? Do we know? Does the NCAA consider them worthy of boosting the Core score?

The NCAA is the NCAA. SU is SU. They have different agendas and different deadlines. SU's closing date on classes is tomorrow. The NCAA has a billion other athletes to clear. Chances are far greater that SU's deadline passes before Tyler's transcript in vetted. My personal opinion is that he will be cleared, but not for another couple weeks. Again, that is pure opinion and speculation.

If Tyler really wants to play at SU this year, he will apply for a financial aid package (which he is sure to get) and enroll now while this mess is sorted out. I am surprised they haven't done so already. Never leave anything in the NCAA's hands. Once he's cleared, the scholarship kicks in and they refund the money. It could be right up until October before he knows anything.

Obviously people know he got the grades. It's the NCAA's rubber stamp that is the hang up. At least that's the way I see it.

They cleared four other players to suit up for Syracuse. Not making an excuse for them on this situation, but 4/5 wouldn't lead me to believe they have it in for the school. If they really had it in for the program, Ennis wouldn't have been cleared (which I would have called Doomsday).

The only issue with that is if he's somehow deemed a non-qualifier, which would mean he'd never play at SU. Probably why he hasn't enrolled at this point and has other options ready to go.

I'm sure this has been brought up, but I've been away from the board for a few days. Even if Tyler gets cleared, he's still behind the 8 ball because he's missed a week or so of class, and for him, that could be a big deal.

For him, the best course of action might be to prep for a year and try to get everything in order. I don't know how well that would work out for SU, if he preps for a year then we'd need to re-recruit him I believe. But I guess I'm saying that if he gets cleared right now and misses the week or so of class, there is every chance this becomes an issue in the second semester