PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline

No need to wait until next year. As long as he gets cleared, he could start practicing with SU once the Fall semester ends. It's less than ideal, but better than waiting an entire year.

This is all a big cluster f of a clown show. Think about this for a minute. He knew what SAT score he had, the school knew what his Core Score would need to be to gain eligibility, and they knew the grades he needed in those summer classes to achieve it. All the grades are in. The answer is right there.

My theory: Tyler passed those classes and achieved the grades he needed, otherwise JB would not have stated in the press that he expected both players (Obokoh) to be cleared. The hang up is most likely the classes themselves. What were they? Do we know? Does the NCAA consider them worthy of boosting the Core score?

The NCAA is the NCAA. SU is SU. They have different agendas and different deadlines. SU's closing date on classes is tomorrow. The NCAA has a billion other athletes to clear. Chances are far greater that SU's deadline passes before Tyler's transcript in vetted. My personal opinion is that he will be cleared, but not for another couple weeks. Again, that is pure opinion and speculation.

If Tyler really wants to play at SU this year, he will apply for a financial aid package (which he is sure to get) and enroll now while this mess is sorted out. I am surprised they haven't done so already. Never leave anything in the NCAA's hands. Once he's cleared, the scholarship kicks in and they refund the money. It could be right up until October before he knows anything.

Obviously people know he got the grades. It's the NCAA's rubber stamp that is the hang up. At least that's the way I see it.

On the surface, this is all correct so then you ask what is the hold up. It must be that there is debate about one or more of the classes being a qualifying class. Clearly his GPA is right on the hairy edge for one class during the summer to have swayed things. He might have taken badminton freshman year and gotten an A- in that. If the NCAA doesn't want to count it, it could be the difference between qualifying or not qualifying. There could be a bunch of back-and-forth between SU (who apparently counts the class in question) and the NCAA (who may not be inclined to). There may also be information requests to one or both of the High Schools he attended. With it being a holiday weekend, the NCAA and SU may be working this, but is the admin staff at his first HS going to work the weekend to answer some crazy questions about a student who left there 2.5 years ago and a class they may not have offered since then?

On the surface, this is all correct so then you ask what is the hold up. It must be that there is debate about one or more of the classes being a qualifying class. Clearly his GPA is right on the hairy edge for one class during the summer to have swayed things. He might have taken badminton freshman year and gotten an A- in that. If the NCAA doesn't want to count it, it could be the difference between qualifying or not qualifying. There could be a bunch of back-and-forth between SU (who apparently counts the class in question) and the NCAA (who may not be inclined to). There may also be information requests to one or both of the High Schools he attended. With it being a holiday weekend, the NCAA and SU may be working this, but is the admin staff at his first HS going to work the weekend to answer some crazy questions about a student who left there 2.5 years ago and a class they may not have offered since then?
No, but they should have been doing that months ago, when he first submitted his paperwork.
This has been pulling out people's hair for months, not just this weekend.

No need to wait until next year. As long as he gets cleared, he could start practicing with SU once the Fall semester ends. It's less than ideal, but better than waiting an entire year.

I think you want to say "If he gets cleared" I really think the NCAAhas it in for this school. this is their way of geeting to Syracuse without all the requirements of cold hard facts for major sanctions.

I think you want to say "If he gets cleared" I really think the NCAAhas it in for this school. this is their way of geeting to Syracuse without all the requirements of cold hard facts for major sanctions.

Maybe, but I'd still take this over a James Southerland situation where Roberson is mysteriously suspended in January for reasons unknown and we may or may not ever get him back or know why he's gone. If the NCAA was truly evil, they'd wait until then to decide there was a question about something. Then SU would have to hold him out pre-emptively even if the issue turned out to be bogus.

No, but they should have been doing that months ago, when he first submitted his paperwork.
This has been pulling out people's hair for months, not just this weekend.

But we know for sure he wasn't qualified a couple months ago. It was cut and dry. Without the summer class he was done. So the NCAA may not have even considered the particulars until mid August when he got a qualifying grade on that last class. I'm not trying to defend them, but I'm sure there is at least basic logic behind this. And the idea they just decided to ignore Roberson in their clearing process doesn't wash. There is a problem with his academic qualifications, period. He'd be cleared now if that wasn't the case.

But we know for sure he wasn't qualified a couple months ago. It was cut and dry. Without the summer class he was done. So the NCAA may not have even considered the particulars until mid August when he got a qualifying grade on that last class. I'm not trying to defend them, but I'm sure there is at least basic logic behind this. And the idea they just decided to ignore Roberson in their clearing process doesn't wash. There is a problem with his academic qualifications, period. He'd be cleared now if that wasn't the case.

this sounds right to me.

No. It was July 25th when he finished his classes (maybe earlier as this was when it was reported). We're talking about a good 5-6 weeks now.

If Tyler really wants to play at SU this year, he will apply for a financial aid package (which he is sure to get) and enroll now while this mess is sorted out. I am surprised they haven't done so already. Never leave anything in the NCAA's hands. Once he's cleared, the scholarship kicks in and they refund the money. It could be right up until October before he knows anything.

Obviously people know he got the grades. It's the NCAA's rubber stamp that is the hang up. At least that's the way I see it.

I hope your right.
I can't think of a reason the ncaa wouldn't email him and give him advice. Liablity certainly isn't a reason, as they are just as liable hes not enrolled right now, and may never play college ball.
Maybe laziness? Jerks.

Good thinking, on the financial aid package. We just joined the acc and should easily beable to handle one. This is just like Carmelo not being ruled elgible to me. I really wanted to see Grant or Roberson at the two on defense for a few minutes playing our best players with CJ also on the floor.

Shouldn't Tyler just attend the classes he would be taking this semester, ala auditing a class? On the assumption that he will be cleared?

You guys sure have a lot of misplaced anger.
Meaning this isn't the NCAA's fault? Not trolling, just trying to understand your post.

For all we know, this is in no way the NCAA's fault. With that said, the NCAA has time and time again proven itself to be corrupt and nonsensical, so you can't blame people for jumping to conclusions. It is kind of like 'the boy who cried wolf'

Shouldn't Tyler just attend the classes he would be taking this semester, ala auditing a class? On the assumption that he will be cleared?

Is he going to commute from Roselle, NJ every day? Without a scholarship he has no room and board.

Meaning this isn't the NCAA's fault? Not trolling, just trying to understand your post.

There doesn't have to be someone at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is big enough of a deal someone is at fault. And the only thing standing in his way right now is approval from the ncaa.

If this was some 3 star on potential it wouldn't be as big but were talking about tyler roberson. Hes a high 4-5 star recruit. His highschool coach compares him to kevin durant, has coached alot of top nba talent (about 15 nba players atleast), and thinks he will be a top 5 pick. Roberson is a multidimentional player who put up 52 the other night in a game against Kyrie Irving. He could be the difference between a championship and elite 8.

He could very well be our best player since Carmelo Anthony. I don't think some are understanding that. His review could be tasked to some unc, duke or UK grad for all we know. Im Pi$$ed and so should everyone on this board be.

imo.

He could very well be our best player since Carmelo Anthony. I don't think some are understanding that. His review could be tasked to some unc, duke or UK grad for all we know. Im Pi$$ed and so should everyone on this board be.

Yea, that's it.,

The NCAA won't provide any advice in this situation. Since Roberson isn't in Syracuse, I would imagine that SU has told him to sit tight until the approval is given. I would also imagine SU has assisted with whatever back-up plan is in place.

I don't get all the conspiracy theory stuff when others in this thread have said that there are a number of legitimate reasons for a lack of response (such as questions about the summer class/work done in said class, classes from either of two high schools, etc.)

(such as questions about the summer class/work done in said class.)

Or maybe several classes.

The NCAA won't provide any advice in this situation. Since Roberson isn't in Syracuse, I would imagine that SU has told him to sit tight until the approval is given. I would also imagine SU has assisted with whatever back-up plan is in place.

I don't get all the conspiracy theory stuff when others in this thread have said that there are a number of legitimate reasons for a lack of response (such as questions about the summer class/work done in said class, classes from either of two high schools, etc.)
Who said he wasn't in Syracuse?