PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline

His AAU coach.
“I think in Tyler Roberson I’m going to have the No. 1 (pick),” Pyonin told Larry Brown Sports. “I had Kyrie Irving who was the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft. I think Tyler Roberson will be right there when he’s ready to go.”
Roberson has narrowed his list to 10 schools and recently said he plans on visiting Kansas and Syracuse in the fall.
When asked to compare Roberson to an NBA player, Pyonin mentioned Kevin Durant.

"He's the most talented big kid I've ever seen," Roselle Catholic coach Dave Boff said. "Late in a game we can give a 6-8 kid the ball 35 feet from the basket and tell him to go by whoever is guarding him and make plays at the rim.

Not even Mcculloughs coaches would say that.

For all we know, this is in no way the NCAA's fault. With that said, the NCAA has time and time again proven itself to be corrupt and nonsensical, so you can't blame people for jumping to conclusions. It is kind of like 'the boy who cried wolf'

True. With the NCAA, the defacto opinion going in has to be they are idiots or worse. They've earned that.

His AAU coach.
“I think in Tyler Roberson I’m going to have the No. 1 (pick),” Pyonin told Larry Brown Sports. “I had Kyrie Irving who was the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft. I think Tyler Roberson will be right there when he’s ready to go.”
Roberson has narrowed his list to 10 schools and recently said he plans on visiting Kansas and Syracuse in the fall.
When asked to compare Roberson to an NBA player, Pyonin mentioned Kevin Durant.
Not even Mcculloughs coaches would say that.

That's all great. Months ago I predicted he would start this year. But none of that has anything to do with eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit, I just tried to check the pay side and it's still down. Can anyone confirm that things are looking up?

I'm thinking he may become a partial qualifier at this late date. Unless he has already chosen a different option.

Agree, just don't want to understate the seriousness.
Its a big deal, big enough to be angry, look for blame where there isn't any , and make every effort to get him in class, atleast until hes faith-fully cleared. This is the problem you just don't sit back and wait on.

This isn't about right,wrong, or peoples feelings its about fixing the problem.

Who said he wasn't in Syracuse?
I never give up, thanks to you pal.
thumbsword.jpg

This whole situation is frustrating. I really feel bad for Tyler. If we're freaking out like this, I can't even imagine how he feels.
He might be in the know more than the rest of us. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

This is all a big cluster f of a clown show. Think about this for a minute. He knew what SAT score he had, the school knew what his Core Score would need to be to gain eligibility, and they knew the grades he needed in those summer classes to achieve it. All the grades are in. The answer is right there.

My theory: Tyler passed those classes and achieved the grades he needed, otherwise JB would not have stated in the press that he expected both players (Obokoh) to be cleared. The hang up is most likely the classes themselves. What were they? Do we know? Does the NCAA consider them worthy of boosting the Core score?

The NCAA is the NCAA. SU is SU. They have different agendas and different deadlines. SU's closing date on classes is tomorrow. The NCAA has a billion other athletes to clear. Chances are far greater that SU's deadline passes before Tyler's transcript in vetted. My personal opinion is that he will be cleared, but not for another couple weeks. Again, that is pure opinion and speculation.

If Tyler really wants to play at SU this year, he will apply for a financial aid package (which he is sure to get) and enroll now while this mess is sorted out. I am surprised they haven't done so already. Never leave anything in the NCAA's hands. Once he's cleared, the scholarship kicks in and they refund the money. It could be right up until October before he knows anything.

Obviously people know he got the grades. It's the NCAA's rubber stamp that is the hang up. At least that's the way I see it.
I thought I read that the NCAA goes through the process in order they receive the paperwork. So if Tyler had to take summer courses to qualify, then his paper work is going to be on the bottom of the pile. Considering the NCAA has to approve all the incoming freshmen who finished school in June first then those who had came late, it is no wonder it is taking them so long. There is no conspiracy.

An average student missing the early summer classes, also missing the early practices, it would be better for him to go to prep school, re-open his recruitment, and get his academic's in order.

"Academic's."
That's funny!

The NCAA. Christ on a bike. If they're not currently equipped to handle these types of matters expeditiously enough to not screw up a kid's, er... academic's, they ought to spend some of that money on more personnel and/or a better infrastructure. While they're at it, they ought to buy a clue, but that would be a different type of transaction. Altogether.

These kids know from 7th grade on (if not earlier) that they want to play basketball in college. Perhaps they should be encouraged to take more responsibility for their academics in high school -- rather than just be idolized for their basketball skills. From all accounts, Tyler is a nice kid, but it is incomprehensible how someone would put himself in a position where his academic standing is still unresolved on September 1.

That seems a little harsh. The kid took summer school classes to improve his GPA so that his test score would still qualify him. He did what he thought was required of him. If he doesn't qualify, that's too bad for everyone involved, but I think he did what he thought was required of him.

That seems a little harsh. The kid took summer school classes to improve his GPA so that his test score would still qualify him. He did what he thought was required of him. If he doesn't qualify, that's too bad for everyone involved, but I think he did what he thought was required of him.
You are right, people shouldn't assume what his circumstances were.

You are right, people shouldn't assume what his circumstances were.

The only circumstance we know is that he had to take several summer school courses in hopes of raising his gpa enough to be in line with the SAT score he got for eligibility.

These kids know from 7th grade on (if not earlier) that they want to play basketball in college. Perhaps they should be encouraged to take more responsibility for their academics in high school -- rather than just be idolized for their basketball skills. From all accounts, Tyler is a nice kid, but it is incomprehensible how someone would put himself in a position where his academic standing is still unresolved on September 1.

Regarding your final point, he did comply with finishing his summer work in time to get an answer either way, right? We aren't arguing about yes or no (which I'm sure we will), but we are arguing about hearing any answer, whatsoever. Part of not hearing by September 1 is the NCAA's process.

I am NOT blaming the NCAA for Tyler not hearing an answer in totality. But I think the NCAA's process leaves a lot to be desired. It sure seems like a broken process.

It's kind of like going to the DMV when you're in a hurry: it really should not be such a time-consuming hassle but you know it takes forever so you should have went earlier so you wouldn't have to worry about time constraints.

It sucks that we're all waiting on his eligibility but if he'd done the work when he was supposed to, it wouldn't be an issue.

I thought I read that the NCAA goes through the process in order they receive the paperwork. So if Tyler had to take summer courses to qualify, then his paper work is going to be on the bottom of the pile. Considering the NCAA has to approve all the incoming freshmen who finished school in June first then those who had came late, it is no wonder it is taking them so long. There is no conspiracy.

That's essentially true. They are not going to fish out someone's paperwork specifically to get them cleared quicker. I would be a pretty monumental task anyway with all the transcripts that come in via regular post. Although that flow should be dying down a bit at this point. If I remember correctly you can send them via Fed Ex or another express carrier though and w/ the tracking number you can ensure slightly faster processing. My memory is a little fuzzy on that so don't quote on me it.

Regarding your final point, he did comply with finishing his summer work in time to get an answer either way, right? We aren't arguing about yes or no (which I'm sure we will), but we are arguing about hearing any answer, whatsoever. Part of not hearing by September 1 is the NCAA's process.

I am NOT blaming the NCAA for Tyler not hearing an answer in totality. But I think the NCAA's process leaves a lot to be desired. It sure seems like a broken process.

The process isn't bad (honestly a lot of the slow down is just a lack of understanding what's needed from the high schools/students) - with the amount of money they are sitting on they could probably hire more people to get them processed faster though in the summer. At least they used to be pretty understaffed imo. They also used to process students with requests from universities first, which helped expedite the process somewhat. So a student with NO schools interested wouldn't get his eligibility determined ahead of someone like a Roberson.

The process isn't bad (honestly a lot of the slow down is just a lack of understanding what's needed from the high schools/students) - with the amount of money they are sitting on they could probably hire more people to get them processed faster though in the summer. At least they used to be pretty understaffed imo. They also used to process students with requests from universities first, which helped expedite the process somewhat. So a student with NO schools interested wouldn't get his eligibility determined ahead of someone like a Roberson.

If the NCAA allows summer course work to count, then it needs to be able to process these submissions.

I have no idea if Tyler did or did not complete the work. My problem is allowing this work to be submitted and then not being able to clear or not clear these kids in a timely fashion.

That is my only issue. Either allow the summer work to count and get it processed or don't allow it at all.

If the NCAA allows summer course work to count, then it needs to be able to process these submissions.

I have no idea if Tyler did or did not complete the work. My problem is allowing this work to be submitted and then not being able to clear or not clear these kids in a timely fashion.

That is my only issue. Either allow the summer work to count and get it processed or don't allow it at all.

Eh, how many classes did he take this summer? Had he already graduated? It's been awhile, but I'm not even sure the NCAA would use those classes if he already graduated. They will use them every other year (9-11th), but the post-grad summer courses fall under some other rule. Like, they can be used to qualify for the NEXT year (2014-2015) but not for the current academic year.

They may be doing to improve his chance of a waiver???? I don't know, sorry. It could be a bunch of different issues, they may have not cleared him, and now it's going through a waiver. Nobody is going to broadcast that. It may be the NCAA, it may not be.

They do suck, BIG TIME, but this one may not entirely be on them. No clue.

PS: Syracuse recruit Tyler Roberson still waiting to hear from NCAA on eligibility

Syracuse's fall semester began last week and Tuesday was the final day that students could add or drop courses. Last week a source had said that Roberson must receive clearance from the NCAA by Tuesday or he would not be allowed to enroll this fall.

However, a university spokesman could not confirm that on Tuesday. Still, the clock is running for Roberson, who must make some decision soon even if he doesn't hear from the NCAA.

He's probably not going to need four years of college eligibility. Can he attend SU as a partial qualifier at this point? At least he spends his year on campus.