PSU: Just Killed Big10 Expansion | Syracusefan.com

PSU: Just Killed Big10 Expansion

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
The Big10 has a huge public relations disaster on their hands. I see Penn State falling back to mediocre in the near term and probably below mediocre after several years of probation. Penn State will be carrying tons of baggage over the next generation. Penn State will recover of course, as a huge state flagship this is ordained but in the meantime look forward to 3-4 win seasons.

The Big 10 will do no favors for Penn State by adding an east coast school. I just don't see them (Big 10) making a play for Maryland or Rutgizz to the East now. I bet the Big 10 stays at 12 for the indefinite future. Notre Dame has to take pause at joining the B10.

My bet is Notre Dame looks to the ACC and brings UConn/or Rutgizz with them. Rutgizz might have a decent shot due to their strategic locale but UConn brings a much better sports/academic package.

Question: Penn State to the ACC...
  1. Should it be pursued
  2. Would you want it pursued

And there goes the ACC expansion ideas with PSU, too

And there goes the ACC expansion ideas with PSU, too

I think just the opposite. This (unfortunate, horrendous, awful) situation creates the window of opportunity to get PSU out of the B10 and into the ACC.

This would be the ultimate "buy low" scenario. This presents a chance for the school to leave the shadow of JoePa and have a fresh start.

The Big10 has a huge public relations disaster on their hands. I see Penn State falling back to mediocre in the near term and probably below mediocre after several years of probation. Penn State will be carrying tons of baggage over the next generation. Penn State will recover of course, as a huge state flagship this is ordained but in the meantime look forward to 3-4 win seasons.

The Big 10 will do no favors for Penn State by adding an east coast school. I just don't see them (Big 10) making a play for Maryland or Rutgizz to the East now. I bet the Big 10 stays at 12 for the indefinite future. Notre Dame has to take pause at joining the B10.

My bet is Notre Dame looks to the ACC and brings UConn/or Rutgizz with them. Rutgizz might have a decent shot due to their strategic locale but UConn brings a much better sports/academic package.

Wow! What a leap!

How PSU does depends on what they do and how it is recieved.

I can see things turning around for them relatively quickly.

The Big Ten was never going to do anything to help PSU anyway. Choosing Nebraska indicated that.

From what I have heard PSU never would have had a shot to go to the ACC even if ND was invloved. What I have read is that they, along with every other school in the Big10 sold their TV rights to the Big10 Network for the next 20+ years.

A lot of things in college sports have been killed for the time being by this.

From what I have heard PSU never would have had a shot to go to the ACC even if ND was invloved. What I have read is that they, along with every other school in the Big10 sold their TV rights to the Big10 Network for the next 20+ years.

Depends on who owns the BTN. Is it owned by the conference or does each school have a share? If each school has a share then PSU would be getting 1/12 of the BTN payout while in the ACC. The B1G would not allow that and likely buy back PSU's share in return for the TV rights. In addition the BTN only has 3rd tier games. They wouldn't own TV rights to every PSU game. So why would the B1G want to keep those TV rights? The would just let PSU buy their way out.

The real reason PSU would never go was the CIC. However if this gets worse, I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU kicked out of the CIC and B1G. The ACC would likely not touch PSU at that point (too hot). So PSU would end up in the BE of all places. Then after rebuilding in the BE, I could see the ACC taking them and RU.

People in college football, but outside PSU, knew too. No about about it.

Depends on who owns the BTN. Is it owned by the conference or does each school have a share? If each school has a share then PSU would be getting 1/12 of the BTN payout while in the ACC. The B1G would not allow that and likely buy back PSU's share in return for the TV rights. In addition the BTN only has 3rd tier games. They wouldn't own TV rights to every PSU game. So why would the B1G want to keep those TV rights? The would just let PSU buy their way out.

The real reason PSU would never go was the CIC. However if this gets worse, I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU kicked out of the CIC and B1G. The ACC would likely not touch PSU at that point (too hot). So PSU would end up in the BE of all places. Then after rebuilding in the BE, I could see the ACC taking them and RU.

I was never great at all the Tier (1-3) rights and values, they always had confused me so you may in fact be right about it only being the tier 3 rights. Agree about the CIC the research dollars alone are worth staying for. Bottom line is I don't think they would have left even if ND joined them to the ACC

I'm not so sure. Will they take a hit? Definitely. But if PSU does what they should (and of course, based on what we've seen over the last week or so, let alone the last 15 years) and TOTALLY cleans house, brings in a squeaky clean new AD and FB staff, I can see their FB taking only a minor hit.

The closest parallel we have is Baylor, maybe Indiana as well.

Baylor went from awful sanctions to #3 seed in the tourney in the matter of maybe 5 years.

Indiana is facing year 4 or so of bad basketball.

PSU could go either way, but I doubt most people think Indiana is down for good, and PSU is too much of a name to be down for long.

They've still got a 100,000 seat stadium that will be filled for opening day next year, and they still have great facilities (I assume).

If they do get sanctions, they will be back eventually.

I'm not so sure. Will they take a hit? Definitely. But if PSU does what they should (and of course, based on what we've seen over the last week or so, let alone the last 15 years) and TOTALLY cleans house, brings in a squeaky clean new AD and FB staff, I can see their FB taking only a minor hit.
What parent will allow their son to go play FB there? This will crush recruiting for years to come.

The closest parallel we have is Baylor, maybe Indiana as well.

Baylor went from awful sanctions to #3 seed in the tourney in the matter of maybe 5 years.

Indiana is facing year 4 or so of bad basketball.

PSU could go either way, but I doubt most people think Indiana is down for good, and PSU is too much of a name to be down for long.

They've still got a 100,000 seat stadium that will be filled for opening day next year, and they still have great facilities (I assume).

If they do get sanctions, they will be back eventually.
Baylor is cheating like crazy... Indiana has struggled for years, but you're right they will rebound soon... Having said that, PSU will be back sooner rather than later as well. It's too strong to disappear. New coach and admin clean the slate as much as it can be cleaned...

What parent will allow their son to go play FB there? This will crush recruiting for years to come.
Like I said, if they TOTALLY clean house, I'm not so sure. Some of these kids (and their parents) grew up idolizing PSU - for an example, look at all the kids who refuse to acknowledge what went on there and want their beloved JoePa back. If there is a completely new regime, I can see them taking a small hit, but not a fatal one. That's all I said. I can also see it your way, too.

I think just the opposite. This (unfortunate, horrendous, awful) situation creates the window of opportunity to get PSU out of the B10 and into the ACC.

This would be the ultimate "buy low" scenario. This presents a chance for the school to leave the shadow of JoePa and have a fresh start.

I had that though as well - doubt it ever plays out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom