Pti | Syracusefan.com

Pti

Who was that big dude they had? Oh yeah... Taylor Coppenrath. Man, I hated that kid.

Had to do a a happy 14th anniversary to the Vermont debacle. Thanks tony and Mike I'm still going for therapy for that game.

That was by far the most heartbreaking tournament loss for me since I became an SU fan.

I was a sophomore at SU and went down to Florida to spring break to spend it with my grandparents. I was so excited to experience a big SU win with my grandfather, who was the basketball coach at Kent State in the 50’s. He was a huge basketball fan. Taught me how to play. Gave me the love for the game.

I remember when we lost that game, I immediately walked out of their condo and went to the ocean side dock at the back of their complex and stared off into the water for what seemed like hours.

What a heartbreaking loss for what would have been an incredible memory for us to share.

1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont and 2010 Butler are my "big 3" in terms of gut-wrenching heartbreak.

Was too young to remember Keith Smart, thankfully. And Richmond is a very vague memory for me as I was 8 and didn't really care yet.

The first tourney games that I felt emotionally invested were the 1994 season with Hawaii, Wisconsin-GB and Missouri.

Last edited:
Stop it, Navy, URI, and Richmond were all worse than any in this tread, including Vermont.
Yes, they were all heartbreaks. I may be mistaken, but I think the Admiral's victory over us was actually in the dome (correct me if I am wrong). However, the Keith Smart shot was for the NC. Man, I really liked that 1987 team.

Lucky for you because it would have put Vermont down the line.
I ran to the bathroom and cried. I was a devastated 14 yo. I mean heartbroken we lost that game I could barely contain myself , I loved SU hoops so much and it was such an important part of my life ... if only DC could have made a free throw or 2 :(

There was witchcraft in the air that night. Germain Mopa Njila averages 5 PPG over his career, pours in 20 in that game. Then that idiot ref T'd Roberts off a dunk to kill the comeback. He never saw another game after that. GMac was 1-7 at the arc. The floor was full of dead spots and everyone kept losing the ball because of it.

But we took care of them in 2010. The anniversary of that is tomorrow, Mar 19.

NCAA: Syracuse routs Vermont 79-56 to advance

There was witchcraft in the air that night. Germain Mopa Njila averages 5 PPG over his career, pours in 20 in that game. Then that idiot ref T'd Roberts off a dunk to kill the comeback. He never saw another game after that. GMac was 1-7 at the arc. The floor was full of dead spots and everyone kept losing the ball because of it.

But we took care of them in 2010. The anniversary of that is tomorrow, Mar 19.

NCAA: Syracuse routs Vermont 79-56 to advance

The Hakim Warrick triple double game. 21 points, 12 rebounds, 10 turnovers :mad:

Stop it, Navy, URI, and Richmond were all worse than any in this tread, including Vermont.

Agreed. Losing to Navy by 20 after we had beaten them on the same floor by 20 earlier in the season was soul-crushing.

Well, to be fair he did say it was the worst tournament loss since he became an SU fan. Not everyone here is as old as some of you cranks. :D

I remember people saying the court had dead spots on it.

Playing as basically a road team in that dump was a
terrible break for a 4 seed.

I was there. It was a disaster. People thought GMac celebrated St Patrick’s day a little too hard the day before.

Last edited:
Yes, they were all heartbreaks. I may be mistaken, but I think the Admiral's victory over us was actually in the dome (correct me if I am wrong). However, the Keith Smart shot was for the NC. Man, I really liked that 1987 team.
It was in the Dome. I sat up high. I thought Boeheim was going to get fired after that game. He had a string of early exits before the Final 2 year of 87. It was miserable, we had a really good team with Pearl, et al. Massive disappointment, the Admiral was just too much with a bunch of complementary other players.

The Dayton game 2014. I'm still ticked off at Ennis for taking that last shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom