Purdue Fan here in Peace | Syracusefan.com

Purdue Fan here in Peace

BabaYaga

Walk On
Hey all!

I usually drop into opposing team territory the week before a game and answer any questions an opposing fan may have about Purdue in an unbiased manner (former media member)! Looking forward to the game and should be a great game under the lights!

Fire away if you have any questions about the Boilermakers this year or the community if you’re coming to visit!

Hows your pass rush?

Got stud wideouts like last year?

who are your best dBs?

How is your punter?

what is your weakest position group?

best position group? Thank you.

Hows your pass rush?

Pass rush looks pretty good so far. The 2 DEs (Scourton and Jenkins) have been getting pressure.

There’s no Charlie Jones this year, but #4 Burks has really good speed. Our best TE (#88 Miller) is coming back from injury and a RS-Frosh TE #86 Klare had a really big game last week. #8 Sheffield is a very consistent guy and #2 Yaseen has been clutch. So no real dominant one like last year, but a pretty good group. Card likes to spread it around quite a bit.

Hows your pass rush?

The pass rush is easily the strength of the defense. OLB Kydran Jenkins has 14 pressures and 3.0 TFL through the first two games…the pressures lead the Big Ten. OLB Nic Scourton also has had a solid year with 7 pressures and 3.5 TFL. These two are pretty much stand up DE’s but are listed at OLB - they run 260 and 280 which is pretty large.

They are both presumed to be potential NFL draft picks when they leave school. They do a nice job of blitzing as well and creating pressure from the perimeter.

No stud wide outs this year. They are definitely a by committee approach this year. Deion Burks is the best wideout though on the team. He is explosive. The tight end room collectively is solid. Garrett Miller is a presumed NFL draft pick who missed all of last year with a knee injury and just came back last week for limited snaps. Max Klare, a RS freshman, has come on very well and actually leads the team in receiving.

However, there’s not anyone besides Burks that you really have to mark down - he’s the one guy that can take the top off.

What worries you most about your team

What worries you most about our team

What are you most hoping that you take advantage of?

Feel free to toss the quesions the other way too!

Thanks!

who are your best dBs?

How is your punter?

what is your weakest position group?

best position group? Thank you.
Our best DB’s are Marquis Wilson and Markevious Brown. They’ll man the outside receivers and have been pretty solid thus far. I think everyone has been happy with their play. However, the safeties Sanoussi Kane and Cam Allen have been terrible in coverage. They are the ones that have gotten picked on the most and are by far the weak part of the defense. At times, Wilson was moved inside to cover Lane in the slot because Allen/Kane could not do it.

Punter has been good. Nothing spectacular but improved from last year. Doesn’t lose games and can kick it 45 yards or so.

Weakest position group is OL. I think it could be a strength but we’ve been hit by the injury bug (not as hard as you guys though). The hope is that Gus Hartwig is back after a tough season ending injury last year. He’s an all-BIG type. We started the year with our 3rd string center and then he got hurt in the opener so we at one point had moved our LG to center as the 4th string and brought in our backup LG. Moussa wasn’t at full strength at LT that game either and only played because the backup tackle was out with injury. In summation: The OL is a weak link but it will get stronger as it gets healthy. Have only allowed 2 sacks so far.

Best position group is the DL by far. They are stout.

What worries you most about your team

What worries you most about our team

What are you most hoping that you take advantage of?

Feel free to toss the quesions the other way too!

Thanks!
Pass coverage. We have a few guys who are very good in man coverage and a few guys (safeties) who should not be in man coverage. At times, the tackling can be porous too.

Biggest worry would be if Schrader has a clean pocket to let things develop. Playing 70% man-to-man has its downfall, especially when it’s been proven that you can slant the crap out of the defense.

I think it’s key for Purdue to establish the run. The RB room is deep and it opens up the passing game. Also, Purdue has to get pressure on the QB, or it might be a field day.

What is your honest opinion on “Boilermaker” as your team name / mascot?
I always thought you guys gof a terrible deal with that.

Hey all!

I usually drop into opposing team territory the week before a game and answer any questions an opposing fan may have about Purdue in an unbiased manner (former media member)! Looking forward to the game and should be a great game under the lights!

Fire away if you have any questions about the Boilermakers this year or the community if you’re coming to visit!
What does (If at all) Purdue fans think of Syracuse as a team this year and a program overall. Honest assessment won’t get you killed.

What is your honest opinion on “Boilermaker” as your team name / mascot?
I always thought you guys gof a terrible deal with that.
You know, I don’t really have an opinion since it’s kind of just been there.

Funnily, my alma mater (D3 Wabash College) was the team that nicknamed them after a loss…so it’s kinda cool in that sense. Wabash is 8-19-1 against Purdue and first played in 1889.

What does (If at all) Purdue fans think of Syracuse as a team this year and a program overall. Honest assessment won’t get you killed.
I think for the most part, there’s respect there. We don’t think you’re an inferior opponent or anything like that. I don’t want to speak for the consensus but I view you guys as a middle of the pack ACC team. Can’t dispute the record over Babers tenure.

I can’t fault you guys for playing the two teams that you played in the first two weeks of the season.

You know, I don’t really have an opinion since it’s kind of just been there.

Funnily, my alma mater (D3 Wabash College) was the team that nicknamed them after a loss…so it’s kinda cool in that sense. Wabash is 8-19-1 against Purdue and first played in 1889.

Considering that Wabash also called them pumpkin-shuckers and foundry hands, going with Boilermakers was the best of the available options.

Considering that Wabash also called them pumpkin-shuckers and foundry hands, going with Boilermakers was the best of the available options.
Yeah, you’re right on that one.

In the spirit of this thread, here are some thoughts on how I see the game going…

I don’t see Syracuse running the ball with success. We might try but I don’t think it will work.

I am guessing you will try and run it a lot early. I expect those attempts to also fail. I think the SU run defense is vastly improved.

Expecting a relatively low scoring game.

I think SU has a little more solid defense and has an advantage at punter and placekicker. Those could be keys for this game.

But Purdue is playing at home and has a loud, rowdy crowd.

Should be a hell of a game. Hard to be objective about my alma mater but I think Syracuse finds a way to win.

In the spirit of this thread, here are some thoughts on how I see the game going…

I don’t see Syracuse running the ball with success. We might try but I don’t think it will work.

I am guessing you will try and run it a lot early. I expect those attempts to also fail. I think the SU run defense is vastly improved.

Expecting a relatively low scoring game.

I think SU has a little more solid defense and has an advantage at punter and placekicker. Those could be keys for this game.

But Purdue is playing at home and has a loud, rowdy crowd.

Should be a hell of a game. Hard to be objective about my alma mater but I think Syracuse finds a way to win.
Yeah, I’m in agreement with a lot here. I think it will be a close game in the low to mid 20’s.

They’ll definitely try to run the ball to set up the pass early on…but they’ve done a nice job of using the run to set up the pass. Graham Harrell runs “Air Raid” but it’s really not Air Raid.

Purdue night games are a totally different animal. It’s crazy how well they play at night at home — they have a murderer’s row of wins over good programs at night over the last few years.

I think it’ll be a competitive game for sure. Syracuse will have to pass the ball to win the game.

Thinking the story of the game will boil down to the Syracuse OL…if they can contain the pass rush, Syracuse wins. If Purdue can consistently pressure GS, I think Purdue wins. Like you said, it will be very hard to run on the Purdue defense.

Yeah, I’m in agreement with a lot here. I think it will be a close game in the low to mid 20’s.

They’ll definitely try to run the ball to set up the pass early on…but they’ve done a nice job of using the run to set up the pass. Graham Harrell runs “Air Raid” but it’s really not Air Raid.

Purdue night games are a totally different animal. It’s crazy how well they play at night at home — they have a murderer’s row of wins over good programs at night over the last few years.

I think it’ll be a competitive game for sure. Syracuse will have to pass the ball to win the game.

Thinking the story of the game will boil down to the Syracuse OL…if they can contain the pass rush, Syracuse wins. If Purdue can consistently pressure GS, I think Purdue wins. Like you said, it will be very hard to run on the Purdue defense.
To expand on this a bit - the Purdue defense did make a huge jump from Game 1 to Game 2.

With Brohm, there wasn't much in the way of in-game adjustments...with the new staff we saw major adjustments in the Pass D from week 1 to 2 and then also in-game adjustments to stop what VT was doing. It seems like Walters defense takes a few games to get acclimated and then it is very good.

His first 4 games at Illinois: 392 yards (Neb), 497 yards (UTSA), 556 yards (UVA), 481 yards (UMD) - which was objectively terrible.

His next 8 games of the year once he was given full reigns of play calling: 319 yards (PUR), 263 yards (CHAR), 100 yards (WISC), 227 yards (PENN), 388 yards (RUTG), 289 yards (MINN), 255 yards (IOWA), 249 yards (NW)

Besides the Rutgers game, where they were held to 129 yards passing, his defense was lights out to end his first year after he was able to fully install and take over the defense. Rumor has it that Illinois coach didn't turn over the playcalling of the defense to him until Game 5 of the year.

You can see the same trend his first year at Missouri as well - started poor and then was very good by the end of the season. I am expecting the same 'click' to happen to the Purdue defense this year at some point. Whether that is against Syracuse, Wisconsin, or Illinois this month is yet to be seen.

Just keep your hands and eyes off my wife, and we’ll get along justttt fine.