Purdue had a bad season | Syracusefan.com

Purdue had a bad season

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had an awful loss tonight. They lost what 3 or 4 starters from last year. Im pretty sure the most optimistic Purdue fans didn't have them going to the elite 8.

Double-digit losses.
Actually they are template that if you play a hard nonconference schedule you will get the benefit of the doubt if you do well in conference play.

Purdue lost to Virginia Tech on a neutral floor.
Lost At Florida State
Lost to Notre Dame on a neutral floor.
Lost at Texas
That is 4 nonconference losses.
They played 20 conference games not 18 and went 16-4 conference play.
That is 8 losses.
Thus unless they won their conference tournament or national title they were losing 10 games.

We haven’t played 20 conference games yet and played 4 P5 teams in one nonconference schedule which included none of the 4 on their home court and 2 of them as pure road games.

If we play a schedule with 12 road games against P5 teams then our W/L record won’t be as good.

Purdue has bigs that are actually skilled. Their freshman Williams is gonna be good.

I'd like to know what little corner of our country produces these skilled bigs and send a map to the staff. ;)

Bigs are hard figure at a young age, so scouting can be hard at times. What surprised me is just how much beef some of these teams a have. Even their guards are hefty. TT has some strong dudes.

I'd like to know what little corner of our country produces these skilled bigs and send a map to the staff. ;)

Bigs are hard figure at a young age, so scouting can be hard at times. What surprised me is just how much beef some of these teams a have. Even their guards are hefty. TT has some strong dudes.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But Texas Tech has a prototypical Syracuse string bean player at center in Tariq Owens—and he was pretty damn good (hey JB and moqui, I guess grad transfers can work and help make you a great defensive team). Jarrett Culver is not some huge dude either—super long and athletic but not beefy. Guess those long athletes aren’t so bad at times. Tennessee has massive beef with Williams and Schofield and they failed to make it past the sweet 16. I’m not saying I wouldn’t like to have an Onuaku or Etan type. I think a big strong guy in the middle would make us better, but we also need length.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But Texas Tech has a prototypical Syracuse string bean player at center in Tariq Owens—and he was pretty damn good (hey JB and moqui, I guess grad transfers can work and help make you a great defensive team). Jarrett Culver is not some huge dude either—super long and athletic but not beefy. Guess those long athletes aren’t so bad at times. Tennessee has massive beef with Williams and Schofield and they failed to make it past the sweet 16. I’m not saying I wouldn’t like to have an Onuaku or Etan type. I think a big strong guy in the middle would make us better, but we also need length.
Length without skill is just next to worthless.

Here's a novel concept for the staff...how about recruiting players that actually possess offensive abilities rather than plug-in puzzle pieces for your zone defense. Hopefully JGIII and Goodine are examples of a change in strategy.

Purdue has bigs that are actually skilled. Their freshman Williams is gonna be good.

They didn't show it when it mattered last night.

Purdue isn't going to get an opportunity like this for a long time. Edwards is out of the door after that game.

They didn't show it when it mattered last night.

Purdue isn't going to get an opportunity like this for a long time. Edwards is out of the door after that game.
You didn’t see that Purdue C destroy Diakite in the post in OT.
Purdue big man recruiting is really good.
We haven’t seen that at Syracuse since one year of Rak Christmas and Rick Jackson/AO.
Purdue has Hawes who could do it last year as well.
They identify quality bigs who have some post offense skills.

You didn’t see that Purdue C destroy Diakite in the post in OT.
Purdue big man recruiting is really good.
We haven’t seen that at Syracuse since one year of Rak Christmas and Rick Jackson/AO.
Purdue has Hawes who could do it last year as well.
They identify quality bigs who have some post offense skills.

The same big that Diakite forced to throw it off of the side of the backboard?

A 10 loss season can still be a very good year, if it includes conference tourney and NCAA tourney losses.

That means you lost a game or two non-conference at most and went something like 12-6 in conference, which in a P5 league (minus the Pac-12) often translates to a Top 4 seed.

Here's a novel concept for the staff...how about recruiting players that actually possess offensive abilities rather than plug-in puzzle pieces for your zone defense. Hopefully JGIII and Goodine are examples of a change in strategy.

Hughes, Carey and Battle are not skilled offensively? I’m sure we didn’t bring in Buddy for his defense.

The same big that Diakite forced to throw it off of the side of the backboard?
Diakite won several possessions as well but the Purdue bigs made plays at all.
Where has that type of big been at Syracuse?
Purdue bigs are great complementary players on there team.

We went 30-10 in 2013 and lost in the FF and finals of the big east tournament. That was a great year. The Big East was ridiculous near the end of that run and we played an incredibly difficult schedule. If we do that going forward I would be happy.

They aren’t top 100 players so the board would complain.

Hughes, Carey and Battle are not skilled offensively? I’m sure we didn’t bring in Buddy for his defense.
Hughes is a one trick pony.
If he isn’t hot from 3 he doesn’t brings anything to the offense. He can’t drive the ball and doesn’t hit the offensive glass.

Battle was a good piece but never had a great PG who could help. Battle is a fit in our offense because our offense is so ISO based it allowed him to do his thing.

We have no idea how good Carey’s offensive skills are because after the UConn game he didn’t get much PT.

We went 30-10 in 2013 and lost in the FF and finals of the big east tournament. That was a great year. The Big East was ridiculous near the end of that run and we played an incredibly difficult schedule. If we do that going forward I would be happy.
10 losses doesn’t bother me nowadays you play larger conference schedules and there so many good teams in each league.

Hughes is a one trick pony.
If he isn’t hot from 3 he doesn’t brings anything to the offense. He can’t drive the ball and doesn’t hit the offensive glass.

Battle was a good piece but never had a great PG who could help. Battle is a fit in our offense because our offense is so ISO based it allowed him to do his thing.

We have no idea how good Carey’s offensive skills are because after the UConn game he didn’t get much PT.

Hughes is a one trick pony? LOL! Is that one trick offense? He’s the guy you said couldn’t shoot, right? Based on his freshman year stats?

Obviously, Battle is pretty gifted offensively. Carey was a great offensive player in high school, and will be in college. Not everyone “develops” in year 1.

Edwards makes that team go. Where were the bigs last night when they were ball watching?

Hughes is a one trick pony? LOL! Is that one trick offense? He’s the guy you said couldn’t shoot, right? Based on his freshman year stats?

Obviously, Battle is pretty gifted offensively. Carey was a great offensive player in high school, and will be in college. Not everyone “develops” in year 1.
Lol you are so bad at this I am not going to waste my time.
Just think whatever you want. Get better at this. You want to argue the person and not the debate at hand.

Hughes is a solid player but he isn’t s complete offensive player. Teams adjusted to him. He isn’t consistent he is hot or cold from 3.
Those players are good and thank goodness he was better than his freshman numbers as our offense was garbage this year and to think what it would have been without him being better.

Lol you are so bad at this I am not going to waste my time.
Just think whatever you want. Get better at this. You want to argue the person and not the debate at hand.

Made my point Statboy. Buddy, Battle, Hughes and Carey are all offensively skilled players, that were not recruited simply “to plug into the zone”.

Cary on with your anti-Boeheim agenda. ;-)

Made my point Statboy. Buddy, Battle, Hughes and Carey are all offensively skilled players, that were not recruited simply “to plug into the zone”.

Cary on with your anti-Boeheim agenda. ;-)
People like you are why we deserve continued mediocrity.
Any objectivity on the program/coach becomes anti-JB group.

There are plenty of people who hate JB I don’t. I can just be objective and call it how I see it. Because you are a fanboy and stomp when you don’t like something said it becomes people critical are all lumped together.
The worst part is you can’t figure out what is hatred of the coach and what is fair constructive criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom