Purdue refs | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue refs

Del rio was definitely past the line of scrimmage
I havent watched a good replay. but it was a matter of inches . remember its the fartheset part of his body that counts not the ball.. his back foot is what matters.

the line of scrimmage is just over the 47.. you see his foot is just behind the 47.. it should have been reviewed. But we held anyway.. We would at least had another play.

1663814916975.png

1663814974986.png

Last edited:
Just went back to pull the play up (thank you YoutubeTV recordings) and I believe the rule in college isn’t the same as the NFL. Pretty sure if any part of you is over the line it’s a penalty.

If not, and it’s the same as the NFL, it should have been reviewed. However it was close enough to where they likely stick with call on the field anyway

AND there was a second penalty on the offense anyway so all of this was for naught
college rule

It is thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral
zone when the ball is released.

The differences are just a bit on how the play is enforced.

I do think that the refs leaned our way slightly….

Especially on the plays that we had turned the ball over

I think we had 2? Maybe 3? Turnovers voided because of penalties

I don’t think it ultimately changed the outcome of the game tho but I can see why some of the narrative is what it is in the general public

So I've rewatched a couple times now. On the first pick, that was definitely interference given Shraders arm was nicked making it short. If not for that Alford was adding separation and possibly scores and no pick or PI.

On the fumble. The final couple angles make it clear that his arm goes forward on its own so that one is pretty clear honestly.

The two lucky ones I thought were the Tucker pitch and then the end zone pick. Tucker was definitely grabbed ahold of but it was unnecessary as they had support in that zone and rewatching it the defender could have missed the grab and it's a clear pick from an awful decision. I also am not sure GS saw that play.

It was clear something was off so when the illness comments came out made a lot of sense.

I havent watched a good replay. but it was a matter of inches . remember its the fartheset part of his body that counts not the ball.. his back foot is what matters.

the line of scrimmage is just over the 42.. you see his foot is just behind the 42.. it should have been reviewed. But we held anyway.. We would at least had another play.

View attachment 220254

View attachment 220255

That one, the Charlie Jones catch where it wasn't actually a toe drag ( likely our sidelines fault but mind you the officials seemed more in a hurry to spot the ball than Purdue)? and the favorable spot on the third down run.

Also the hit on Shraders slide. While it would have ended as a clean play given the contact was very slight. They reviewed the obvious clean tackle on Purdues TE but not Shraders or the others noted above.

Rewatching the opening Purdue series. Purdue didn't get the first when the refs spotted and auto signaled a first and Jones was OOB and given credit for the catch. Purdue coach went on 4th assuming favorable call, understandably, but his team didn't get close enough

Rewatching Syracuse first series. Shrader slide with targeting should have got 21/43 ejected for targeting. Tough to tell number on video reply as they flew in hard on sliding QB.

I zoomed again just now and rewatched and agree vs what I had said before. Tough cookies but it's the right call.

Last edited:
Rewatching Syracuse first series. Shrader slide with targeting should have got 21/43 ejected for targeting. Tough to tell number on video reply as they flew in hard on sliding QB.
They should have at least reviewed it. IMO if this had happened later in the game, they would have called it.

Del rio was definitely past the line of scrimmage
I'm not gonna die on any hill here, but the rule states that if ANY portion of the passers body is at the LOS, it's a legal pass. The LOS was the 47, and maybe the angle was off from the video, but it clearly looked like he was "at the line".

As others have pointed out, it didn't matter because of the holding, but then again the ref tossing the flag might not have known that at the time!

Just went back to pull the play up (thank you YoutubeTV recordings) and I believe the rule in college isn’t the same as the NFL. Pretty sure if any part of you is over the line it’s a penalty.

If not, and it’s the same as the NFL, it should have been reviewed. However it was close enough to where they likely stick with call on the field anyway

AND there was a second penalty on the offense anyway so all of this was for naught

NCAA Rule : "It is thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral zone when the ball is released."

I'm not gonna die on any hill here, but the rule states that if ANY portion of the passers body is at the LOS, it's a legal pass. The LOS was the 47, and maybe the angle was off from the video, but it clearly looked like he was "at the line".

As others have pointed out, it didn't matter because of the holding, but then again the ref tossing the flag might not have known that at the time!

The resulting loss of down meant we had to punt though. If nothing else we would have gotten a do over 3rd down.

The scramble and lazer throw on the run though were sweet. We have a #2 who's a good one. Love it.

Before we convince ourselves that Purdue got the better of officiating, I have to say that I saw some pretty egregious holding on Syracuse a few times during the last drive.

Yeah we see it every game. If it's away from the play(offensive line) often it goes uncalled which to be fair if consistent so be it. It's when it makes the play work and is uncalled is the stuff you can't ignore. Purdue got friendly non calls of that variety a handful of times.

We still had to score the touchdown to win the game
Purdue and their fans can enjoy the kick and anyone else that thinks the refs just handed us the game
Yeah, we led by 10 with 8 minutes left and people are acting as if we pulled the miracle. Purdue is the one who needed to pull some plays (and calls) out of their ….. to get the late lead. And then we responded with an all time clutch 44 seconds. Purdue was lucky to get the lead back in the first place and then order was restored

You could go back thru the first 3 quarters and how they were played and you can easily see the 10-9 Su lead and see like a 27-17 SU lead with just some simple plays finished off.. Then add the pts in the 4th and it would have been like a 41-17 type game with 8 min left.. We Left so much meat on the bone with all the open passes we missed and the simple toss sweep we dropped.

Anyone else like FAU moneyline this week?

I think Purdue might not show up and they have a lot of speed. Nkosi Perry wasn't great at Miami but they can score on the Boilers.

It was an absolutley crazy 4th quarter and both teams and the refs played a part no doubt. What I really enjoyed was that SU made the plays to win, tough plays and that hopefully will be the springboard to a very nice season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom