Push back against the BTN | Syracusefan.com

Push back against the BTN

and this quote is giving details I believe of the deal in parts of jersey...

So I did an online Chat yesterday with my Cablevision rep in Oakland, NJ (I'm in Cedar Grove), about this very subject as I still am not getting BTN even though I have the second most expensive package (Silver) on 5 TVs. The rep said they just got a notice on this subject yesterday, and went and looked at it again and said that BTN will come on my Cablevision on Aug 30, BUT only Preferred plans and above will receive it included, the 3 plans below (Basic, Economy, & Value plan) will need to pay extra. I said to her I had read a press release that BTN would be on all plans including BASIC, she said that is different from what she was told. Now I doubt there are many with true Basic , cablevision plans, but I would guess there are many with the Economy and 'Value' plans that still will have to upgrade. We shall see.

All due respect, but isn't this standard operating procedure with these channels? Every time they come online it takes a while before they catch on- and usually after some back-n-forth posturing to try & secure a deal.
Bottomline is, the BTN will more than likely be available in "most" areas...including NY/NJ, PA, and MD. Delany is an arrogant jerk, but he's no dummy. He knew getting Rutgers & MD would pay off under the current cable model and it appears to be working.
At this point, as ACC members, I'm more focused on whether an ACCNetwork is a viable and worthwhile idea moving forward. If the SECN and PACN, which have also gotten "push-back" from various providers,come online and begin to show a profit as expected, then the ACCN becomes more viable.
Point being the horse is outta the barn w/ the BTN- they were first and are/will continue to be hugely profitable regardless of any temporary glitches. JMHO

BTN is a farce. The price point for it is a joke, and it's just a matter of time before cable companies begin to a la carte.

If this is to happen, I'm not sure their move into NY/NJ will provide the boost that the BIG Ten was expecting.

All due respect, but isn't this standard operating procedure with these channels? Every time they come online it takes a while before they catch on- and usually after some back-n-forth posturing to try & secure a deal.
Bottomline is, the BTN will more than likely be available in "most" areas...including NY/NJ, PA, and MD. Delany is an arrogant jerk, but he's no dummy. He knew getting Rutgers & MD would pay off under the current cable model and it appears to be working.
At this point, as ACC members, I'm more focused on whether an ACCNetwork is a viable and worthwhile idea moving forward. If the SECN and PACN, which have also gotten "push-back" from various providers,come online and begin to show a profit as expected, then the ACCN becomes more viable.
Point being the horse is outta the barn w/ the BTN- they were first and are/will continue to be hugely profitable regardless of any temporary glitches. JMHO

this has been a 4 year battle to get the BTN on that cable provider according to some of the posts and comments of people who live in that providers footprint.....

this has been a 4 year battle to get the BTN on that cable provider according to some of the posts and comments of people who live in that providers footprint...

I just bought a new Sony DVD player, and it comes pre-loaded with about 150 Apps (you hardwire a connection to the box from your router for best performance, although wireless is possible, too). One of the Apps is the ACC Network. Cool!

There are also apps for Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, MLB, NBA, Vevo, YouTube, etc., so you can play them all on your TV.

IthacaMatt said:
I just bought a new Sony DVD player, and it comes pre-loaded with about 150 Apps (you hardwire a connection to the box from your router for best performance, although wireless is possible, too). One of the Apps is the ACC Network. Cool!

There are also apps for Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, MLB, NBA, Vevo, YouTube, etc., so you can play them all on your TV.

I need to look into that.

http://www.brctv.com/news/bigtennetwork-16-may-14

Just take a guess from what fanbase owns this comment

PSU better get their act together, they're dragging the entire conference down.
7/4 11:54 PM | IP: Logged

That's the local cable provider in my area. Glad to see they're standing their ground vs charging my grandma, dad, etc for a channel they don't want and would never watch.

the bluray player i bought a year ago had the ACC Net app preloaded. It's actually pretty decent.

I have the ACC Digital Network app on my Roku and it's pretty worthless. Maybe they have more content on other devices?

Nope, it's totally worthless. On AppleTV as well.
They added it at the end of the basketball season so I'm hoping they'll have some exclusive interviews and other content put together for football and basketball. Would've been nice to watch some lacrosse games through the network though.

I've watched the BTN twice on DirecTV. Once when SU played Illinois, and another time when we played Minnesota. If it's not a game day, it's just a load of crap on that channel (actually, they have 2 if I recall). Most of the time, aren't their bigger games on a major network anyway? Nebraska vs. Iowa women's badminton anyone?!

NashvilleOrange said:
They added it at the end of the basketball season so I'm hoping they'll have some exclusive interviews and other content put together for football and basketball. Would've been nice to watch some lacrosse games through the network though.

From my experience on Roku the ACCDN app doesn't show any live events. Seems like those are telecast only on the ACC's website.

But if you like 2 minute clips of some dude talking about NC State's secondary, it's amazing. ;)

http://www.brctv.com/news/bigtennetwork-16-may-14

Just take a guess from what fanbase owns this comment

PSU better get their act together, they're dragging the entire conference down.
7/4 11:54 PM | IP: Logged

These are the money quotes:

Q: Blue Ridge is too greedy and wants more profits that is why they don’t put the BTN on.
A: Just the opposite. If we do launch the channel, we will pass that cost on to all our customers and we don’t believe it’s fair to everyone.

Gotta love the honesty. Nothing is free, someone pays for it and they are letting people know that they will pay for the BTN regardless of whether they want it.

Q: Why is The Big Ten Network charging so much for the channel?
A: That’s a question for the Big Ten Network. But we can report that each school in the Big Ten received $25.7 million from the conference and $7.6 of that came from the Network. Also note that the school received $279 million in tax payer money last year, and for the taxpayers, they should make those games available to us at no cost and the BTN should be an advertiser supported network. As a side note, PSU has a $2.956 billion dollar endowment, up 66% from last year.

Love this quote, shows the B1G and PSU are greedy and don't care about the little people, only there money! What's worse is that the cable provider rightfully suggests that with nearly $300MM in PA taxpayer support, PSU/BTN should provide access for free and the BTN should be advertiser supported! Wonder how little they would generate if they were advertiser supported.

HtownOrange said:
These are the money quotes: Q: Blue Ridge is too greedy and wants more profits that is why they don’t put the BTN on. A: Just the opposite. If we do launch the channel, we will pass that cost on to all our customers and we don’t believe it’s fair to everyone. Gotta love the honesty. Nothing is free, someone pays for it and they are letting people know that they will pay for the BTN regardless of whether they want it. Q: Why is The Big Ten Network charging so much for the channel? A: That’s a question for the Big Ten Network. But we can report that each school in the Big Ten received $25.7 million from the conference and $7.6 of that came from the Network. Also note that the school received $279 million in tax payer money last year, and for the taxpayers, they should make those games available to us at no cost and the BTN should be an advertiser supported network. As a side note, PSU has a $2.956 billion dollar endowment, up 66% from last year. Love this quote, shows the B1G and PSU are greedy and don't care about the little people, only there money! What's worse is that the cable provider rightfully suggests that with nearly $300MM in PA taxpayer support, PSU/BTN should provide access for free and the BTN should be advertiser supported! Wonder how little they would generate if they were advertiser supported.

Not that I don't like a good Big Ten pile on, but don't think for a nanosecond that any cable operator does anything out of a shred of decency or honesty.

This is 100% about their margins, nothing more.

Scooch said:
Not that I don't like a good Big Ten pile on, but don't think for a nanosecond that any cable operator does anything out of a shred of decency or honesty. This is 100% about their margins, nothing more.

I don't think they were claiming that. I think they were pointing out the hypocrisy. They may come out better just because they are looking out for their bottom line - just good old capitalism. While the Penn State has one hand in the cookie jar.

Not that I don't like a good Big Ten pile on, but don't think for a nanosecond that any cable operator does anything out of a shred of decency or honesty.

so are you saying the cable operator thinks the BTN is overvalued for their market.....will the dominoes fall?

I have the ACC Digital Network app on my Roku and it's pretty worthless. Maybe they have more content on other devices?
NOPE! Basically a highlight clips and interviews

I agree, the cable operator does this for the money, at least they are honest about making money. I have no issue with someone wanting to make money.

PSU gets nearly $300MM in taxpayer money and receives more than $25MM from the BTN, as well as hundreds of millions in other funds (research, grants, donations, tuition) and while demanding that people who do not want their product purchase their product so PSU/BTN can make more money. If Delaney and PSU would simply come out and admit they are greedy bastards, too, but on a much grander scale, I would have more respect for them.

Am I the only one on here that has a Big Ten family connection and actually enjoys watching the Big 10? My dad went to Iowa so I grew up watching both Big 10 and Syracuse. Obviously, I know this is a Syracuse board and Syracuse will always be my top priority. And I would go to the Iowa board if I wanted to hear the praises of the Big 10. I also cheered for Syracuse all the way when we played Iowa during the GRob era and I check the Iowa message board only if a big story breaks whereas I'm here every day. I also have the same feelings as most of you about adding Rutgers and Maryland. Reigniting the Maryland rivalry in football was one reason I was excited about the ACC so disappointed to see them go.

But I'm just surprised as the hatred of the Big 10 that I notice. I know I probably won't rack up the likes for this post - just wanted to add a different perspective.