Push back against the BTN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Push back against the BTN

Am I the only one on here that has a Big Ten family connection and actually enjoys watching the Big 10? My dad went to Iowa so I grew up watching both Big 10 and Syracuse. Obviously, I know this is a Syracuse board and Syracuse will always be my top priority. And I would go to the Iowa board if I wanted to hear the praises of the Big 10. I also cheered for Syracuse all the way when we played Iowa during the GRob era and I check the Iowa message board only if a big story breaks whereas I'm here every day. I also have the same feelings as most of you about adding Rutgers and Maryland. Reigniting the Maryland rivalry in football was one reason I was excited about the ACC so disappointed to see them go.

But I'm just surprised as the hatred of the Big 10 that I notice. I know I probably won't rack up the likes for this post - just wanted to add a different perspective.

The resentment stems in large part by the poaching threat they posed to the ACC. Personally, I think B1G football is a shadow of its former self and has been overrated for years.

The resentment stems in large part by the poaching threat they posed to the ACC. Personally, I think B1G football is a shadow of its former self and has been overrated for years.

Yeah I should have mentioned that in my original post. I realize the threat to the ACC is the reason. And the security of the ACC is my top concern by far so I understand that part totally. I was just curious if there any reason before that for many people. Personally, since I am a fan of both conferences, I wish they would just leave each other the hell alone at this point and both do well, but that probably won't happen in the current landscape.

And I can't argue about your comment about football the past several year. The Big 10's performance in the bowls has been flat our bad the last several years and they deserve criticism for that.

Last edited:
Am I the only one on here that has a Big Ten family connection and actually enjoys watching the Big 10? My dad went to Iowa so I grew up watching both Big 10 and Syracuse. Obviously, I know this is a Syracuse board and Syracuse will always be my top priority. And I would go to the Iowa board if I wanted to hear the praises of the Big 10. I also cheered for Syracuse all the way when we played Iowa during the GRob era and I check the Iowa message board only if a big story breaks whereas I'm here every day. I also have the same feelings as most of you about adding Rutgers and Maryland. Reigniting the Maryland rivalry in football was one reason I was excited about the ACC so disappointed to see them go.

But I'm just surprised as the hatred of the Big 10 that I notice. I know I probably won't rack up the likes for this post - just wanted to add a different perspective.

Not as much as you do, but I do have a soft spot for Wisconsin because all my family is from there, huge packer fan, and almost went to school there. So I do root for them when it has no direct effect on Syracuse, which it usually doesn't. But I despise the Big 10. As Crusty mentioned, they were perceived as a threat and now are an even bigger threat after taking Maryland and trying to have more influence in the east, which is bad for the ACC. I also dislike them because their football conference is extremely weak but gets by based on their perceived history, whereas the ACC is unfairly and wrongly judged. The BIG 10 basketball conference is also competing against the ACC, and its product has become better over the last several years. Its funny how BIG 10 football gets away with being terrible, but everyone is there to jump on ACC basketball after a very weak year. Now there is talk of the Big 10 hosting their tournament in MSG or NYC, right in our back yard. Plus, you add on the fact that these are some of the biggest state universities in the country, receiving millions of dollars from the state and also have one of the largest television revenues in the country. Its hard to compete against universities like that for a small private university with no state funding and a smaller television contract. These are some of the many reasons why I personally do not like the BIG 10.

My Dad was also a Hawkeye. My sister is a Wisconsin PhD. and my sister-in-law got her MBA at "the Ohio State University." I can't stand the B1G (although I did like the Big Ten at one time. Poaching is part of the reason. The State College Cult and the SEC-like cheating culture in Columbus are other reasons. (Yes, I know UNC is ethically-challenged as well. Maybe that's a plus in Delany's book.)

It's the same for me. There are now two programs in neighboring states to SU that both think that their programs and their conference are above us. I've always hated Penn state, rutgers and their obnoxious fans are aggravating and urban Meyer has made Ohio state one of the easiest programs to hate in college football.

As a kid I lived in central Illinois for a couple of years. I have two nephews who graduated from the University of Illinois (one after transferring from Indiana and eventually getting his masters from Northwestern). Their sister will be a frosh at the U of I in the fall. So yes, I do have Big X connections. The only schools I really hate from there are Indiana (because of basketball) and Penn State because as boy I was taught to hate all things Nittany Lion. Of course, living in NJ, I also hate the school my tax dollars support. I don't like the poaching aspect at all, but that's the nature of the beast these days. Glad SU is in the ACC, but honestly had the Big whatever called first, I would've been ok with that as well. Better to be mismatched in a big conference than in a position like UCONN.

And I should have had this disclaimer - my comments about the Big 10 do not include Penn State. I will never have respect for that school.

If Maryland fans and alumni , who were misled and run over the top of in the decision to move and are still against it , start asking their cable providers to cancel BTN , then it will turn out to be a real pig in a poke.

I spent four years stationed in tOSU territory. I loved to hear the Buckeye fans talk football and how they hate Michigan. Growing up, the tOSU/Michigan was on every year and I usually watched it with my dad, not caring who won, just wanting a good game. Then living in the territory and hearing the vitriol was entertaining, especially because I had no dog in the fight. Throw in the one PSU fan (shortly after they joined the B1G) who got "beat up" by everyone and work was fun during the fall.

Most of the B1G means nothing to me, it's hard to get into the meaningless games. When Syracuse plays the B1G schools I do the usual read up on them and follow them so I can get into our game but that ends once we play. The only reasons I would want Syracuse in the B1G is for the money and stability. The ACC has more to offer Syracuse in my opinion.

Yeah I should have mentioned that in my original post. I realize the threat to the ACC is the reason. And the security of the ACC is my top concern by far so I understand that part totally. I was just curious if there any reason before that for many people. Personally, since I am a fan of both conferences, I wish they would just leave each other the hell alone at this point and both do well, but that probably won't happen in the current landscape.

And I can't argue about your comment about football the past several year. The Big 10's performance in the bowls has been flat our bad the last several years and they deserve criticism for that.

I am an 57 year old, lifelong, third generation ND fan and I have had animosity towards the Big Ten since about 1966 or so.

I grew up on tales of Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler and other anti-Catholic bigots and their anti-ND animus keeping ND out of the then Western Conference in the 1920's.

Ironically, Michigan's animosity and ND boycott efforts are what kept ND a football independent and led Jesse Harper and Knute Rockne to "barnstorm" all over the country to play anyone. They helped ND to become ND.

So, if anyone dislikes ND being a football independent, you have Michigan and the Big Ten to blame. :)

That still doesn't excuse their total bastardhood. (Is that a word?)

I grew up disliking guys like Woody Hayes and later guys like Bo Schembechler, Gary Moeller, etc...

I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania and always despised Penn State and Joe Paterno. When PSU joined the Big Ten, that just gave me another reason to dislike the conference.

Then, you have the whole threat to ND and the ACC arising out of Jim Delany's megalomania. That is the icing on the cake.

NOPE! Basically a highlight clips and interviews

True. I basically only use the ACC Digital Network for on-demand highlight clips and press releases. There are also lots of gameday-type pieces, but the only live football content I've ever seen on ACCDN was a couple of Spring Games. Here's a link describing what they aired last season.

All ACC alumni and fans who reside in the capital region , which I imagine there are a lot of, should call their cable provider and tell them they don't want and won't pay for BTN. That could shred their projections.

I like the way you think!;)

I on the other hand grew up hating Notre Dame. Their stealing of a game that cost SU an Orange Bowl bid - and that two of their Heismans belonged to SU players.

I am an 57 year old, lifelong, third generation ND fan and I have had animosity towards the Big Ten since about 1966 or so.

I grew up on tales of Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler and other anti-Catholic bigots and their anti-ND animus keeping ND out of the then Western Conference in the 1920's.

Ironically, Michigan's animosity and ND boycott efforts are what kept ND a football independent and led Jesse Harper and Knute Rockne to "barnstorm" all over the country to play anyone. They helped ND to become ND.

So, if anyone dislikes ND being a football independent, you have Michigan and the Big Ten to blame. :)

That still doesn't excuse their total bastardhood. (Is that a word?)

I grew up disliking guys like Woody Hayes and later guys like Bo Schembechler, Gary Moeller, etc...

I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania and always despised Penn State and Joe Paterno. When PSU joined the Big Ten, that just gave me another reason to dislike the conference.

Then, you have the whole threat to ND and the ACC arising out of Jim Delany's megalomania. That is the icing on the cake.