PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN

Your going to tell me that there aren't 10 guys across all of upstate NY who are capable of playing D1 ball? Given a serious development program? Please, what are the people here, some genetically inferior breed of people. If you had Syracuse coaches going to high schools across the state, pretty soon other players at those schools start thinking, I'm better than him, I could play at Syracuse. This is a totally untapped resource.

We recruit NYS.

We recruit NYS.
Yes, but they need to go after development guys not just the 3-4-5 star guys. UB had more than 50 NY guys on their team and that was a very strong team under LL. And I don't think they got any of the top rated prospects either.

I don't understand the thinking that we are one of the worst P5 programs for a Coach. I do understand the thinking that we are currently one of the worst P5 programs for football.

I think its a great job where there is literally no expectation to win consistently and the fan base is happy when you simply get to .500 and go to a bowl game. Maybe sprinkle in an upset over a ranked team every couple of years. Not to mention you get $3-$5 million per year no matter your results.

Its actually unbelievable to me that coaches wouldn't be lining up if they could get a 5 or 6 year deal with guaranteed money of $25 million plus and have nothing tied to results.

Knew the Binghamton High Coach (He played for Curry at Bama) They had a good run from 2006 ish to a couple of years ago. He pushed his kids to get in our small badly outdated weight room and had a run of good teams. He produced several FCS players not one FBS that I can remember. He had a running back several years ago , I thought was a FBS star, went to UMass and didn’t do much. Point is the level of play in NY just doesn’t match up to the strong HS regions , it’s just not priority here and it never will be, schools spend there money on other things , as they should.

Knew the Binghamton High Coach (He played for Curry at Bama) They had a good run from 2006 ish to a couple of years ago. He pushed his kids to get in our small badly outdated weight room and had a run of good teams. He produced several FCS players not one FBS that I can remember. He had a running back several years ago , I thought was a FBS star, went to UMass and didn’t do much. Point is the level of play in NY just doesn’t match up to the strong HS regions , it’s just not priority here and it never will be, schools spend there money on other things , as they should.
But how many High Schools are there across NYS? Many, there has to be some players at these schools going under the radar.

I don't understand the thinking that we are one of the worst P5 programs for a Coach. I do understand the thinking that we are currently one of the worst P5 programs for football.

I think its a great job where there is literally no expectation to win consistently and the fan base is happy when you simply get to .500 and go to a bowl game. Maybe sprinkle in an upset over a ranked team every couple of years. Not to mention you get $3-$5 million per year no matter your results.

Its actually unbelievable to me that coaches wouldn't be lining up if they could get a 5 or 6 year deal with guaranteed money of $25 million plus and have nothing tied to results.

I think we have to look at this a bit more holistically.

Syracuse hasn't been considered part of ANY discussion since about 2001. Discussion being a program that should be reasonably feared on a consistent basis.

Since 01 we have had Paul Pasqualoni, Greg Robinson, Doug Marrone, Scott Shafer and Dino Babers as HC. John Wildhack has to look at those head coaching hires and figure out common threads why they haven't worked, positives, negatives and then implement.

BC since 01 had Tom O'Brien, Jeff Jags, Frank Spaziani, Addazio and Hafley.

BC clearly has been the better program since McNabb left town. What can we gleam from their performances and can we potentially rip off so we can remove 3-4 years of bottoming out vs BC who bottoms out for 1 year usually.

I think Syracuse is a program that can be successful but success for me has been downgraded into a "let's make bowl games with 6-7 wins". I'm not optimistic we will ever see an 88-01 like run again. Hopefully i'm thoroughly surprised

This entire thread is filled with delusional thoughts like this.
but what is so unreasonable about hiring a unicorn to coach this team ? bring back the magic !

58061a31dd089588488b47fc

Your going to tell me that there aren't 10 guys across all of upstate NY who are capable of playing D1 ball? Given a serious development program? Please, what are the people here, some genetically inferior breed of people. If you had Syracuse coaches going to high schools across the state, pretty soon other players at those schools start thinking, I'm better than him, I could play at Syracuse. This is a totally untapped resource.

You’ve missed the hundreds of posts over the years identifying the issues with NYS. So either you’re gaslighting because you’re bored or none of the posts sunk in.

But let’s look at the basics. If there are 10 kids in NYS each year and we get 2-3 of them, we already get that many kids from NYS. So what’s the difference. Why take resources away from areas that we’ve had better success with contributing. Like Florida.

Makes no sense. But again, it’s been discussed every month for at least 10 years.

But how many High Schools are there across NYS? Many, there has to be some players at these schools going under the radar.

This isn’t rocket science. How many resources do you provide to find under the radar kids that % wise have a lower chance of contributing and where do you take that resource from. So recruit Florida, Virginia, PA less to maybe find a diamond in the rough in NYS.

Syracuse hasn't been considered part of ANY discussion since about 2001. Discussion being a program that should be reasonably feared on a consistent basis.

Since 01 we have had Paul Pasqualoni, Greg Robinson, Doug Marrone, Scott Shafer and Dino Babers as HC. John Wildhack has to look at those head coaching hires and figure out common threads why they haven't worked, positives, negatives and then implement.

BC clearly has been the better program since McNabb left town. What can we gleam from their performances and can we potentially rip off so we can remove 3-4 years of bottoming out vs BC who bottoms out for 1 year usually.

I think Syracuse is a program that can be successful but success for me has been downgraded into a "let's make bowl games with 6-7 wins". I'm not optimistic we will ever see an 88-01 like run again. Hopefully i'm thoroughly surprised
Somewhat disagree, I would put it at 7-10 wins like WF has been doing , we were 10-3 in 18 and were three plays from being 8-3 this year ( yea we coulds also be 3-8 , but thats the nature of the ACC ). All our conference games were intensely competitive until the last three , one win and two losses.

All this talk about Mullen, it's going to be soul crushing when no change is made in the off season.
For the record; my vote is for Dougie to tide us over, until Macky is ready to take the reins.
Why do you set yourself up for this? I remember every search since Frank Maloney and as far as I know, there have never been high level coaches interested in the job. To think Mullen could come is setting yourself up for a soul crushing. Think about the search after DM, and then after SS. Why would you think it would be different? What I hope for is a creative OC and a few game changing recruits, whether highly rated or like Tucker was. I think THAT is realistic.

Yes, but they need to go after development guys not just the 3-4-5 star guys. UB had more than 50 NY guys on their team and that was a very strong team under LL. And I don't think they got any of the top rated prospects either.

We do that too. I know for a fact.

UB had more than 50 guys from NYS because they probably don’t have the budget to recruit the whole country. We do.

But this team is in far better shape than last year, when we won only one freaking game.

There has been progress. You have to admit.
The problem with this take is the 1 win season came in year 5 under Dino. Not year 1, year 5. So he can’t be given credit for only doing crappy a year after an epically bad season because the epically bad season is his fault. I don’t care about covid, injuries and op outs because every team had to deal with those.

We are a bad team assembled by a bad coach. Great dude but bad coach.

We kind of got stuck with GRob and Shafer because of when their predecessors left. Those two were both way over their heads. No one else would have thought of hiring them, not even MAC schools. They were bad hires before their 1st game. I think Dino has had two issues. I don't think he is a good fit for the Northeast. Secondly, he never showed that he could build a team. We never saw what type of recruits he could get. I think it is a bit telling how bad Bowling Green was after Dino left.

I think Marrone's plan was the formula. Even if it is not him, we need a HC with a similar plan.

Marrone being an NFL guy would game plan circles around some of these college coaches.

He knew the importance of relationships with the Northeast HS HCs. Additionally they respected him for his resume and not being an outsider. It makes a difference. Having a Northeast guy is going to help find those guys who make the NFL but play G5 or FCS.

We can't have a hit and run HC. Having a HC move on from sustained success is fine. Having a HC looking to have a good season in his 1st two years and bounce is not. So that would take out hotshot G5 HCs and coordinators.

Marrone looked to recruit players who were leaders. He put an emphasis on that.

He understood the importance of developing kids. A big factor in that is your staff. Look at the experience and knowledge Marrone's staff had in comparison to GRob's ragtag bunch, Shafer's WMU band, and Dino's guys from EIU.

It wasn't part of Marrone's plan per se but him being an OL guy was huge. Not only could he teach, develop, coach up the OL he could identify guys in HS based on potential. OL is such a big part of the game. Having mean SOBs who know what they are doing helps a lot.

Putting an emphasis on STs is important here.

Having a HC who is a O guy I think helps as well. The game today is about scoring. It is better to have a HC who knows how to score than a HC who wants to watch his D all day.

One thing I think Marrone missed on though is measurables. Overall yes we want kids who fit the mold. But then you miss out on guys like Suter, Shamarko, Estime. We need kids like that who are more likely to slip through the cracks.

Every dollar spent on a big-name head coach is a dollar not spent on his staff, who do most of the work. I'd rather have an unknown head coach with a great staff than a famous coach with a mediocre staff.

We kind of got stuck with GRob and Shafer because of when their predecessors left. Those two were both way over their heads. No one else would have thought of hiring them, not even MAC schools. They were bad hires before their 1st game. I think Dino has had two issues. I don't think he is a good fit for the Northeast. Secondly, he never showed that he could build a team. We never saw what type of recruits he could get. I think it is a bit telling how bad Bowling Green was after Dino left.

I think Marrone's plan was the formula. Even if it is not him, we need a HC with a similar plan.

Marrone being an NFL guy would game plan circles around some of these college coaches.

He knew the importance of relationships with the Northeast HS HCs. Additionally they respected him for his resume and not being an outsider. It makes a difference. Having a Northeast guy is going to help find those guys who make the NFL but play G5 or FCS.

We can't have a hit and run HC. Having a HC move on from sustained success is fine. Having a HC looking to have a good season in his 1st two years and bounce is not. So that would take out hotshot G5 HCs and coordinators.

Marrone looked to recruit players who were leaders. He put an emphasis on that.

He understood the importance of developing kids. A big factor in that is your staff. Look at the experience and knowledge Marrone's staff had in comparison to GRob's ragtag bunch, Shafer's WMU band, and Dino's guys from EIU.

It wasn't part of Marrone's plan per se but him being an OL guy was huge. Not only could he teach, develop, coach up the OL he could identify guys in HS based on potential. OL is such a big part of the game. Having mean SOBs who know what they are doing helps a lot.

Putting an emphasis on STs is important here.

Having a HC who is a O guy I think helps as well. The game today is about scoring. It is better to have a HC who knows how to score than a HC who wants to watch his D all day.

One thing I think Marrone missed on though is measurables. Overall yes we want kids who fit the mold. But then you miss out on guys like Suter, Shamarko, Estime. We need kids like that who are more likely to slip through the cracks.

You realize Marrone was .500 overall at SU and .393 in the Big East? And .388 in the NFL? But you want to model everything after Marrones plan?

I just want 6 or 7 wins every year again. Not much to ask for. The question is who actually gets us there. Cuse just isn't as admirable of a school as it was way back when. We see it through orange glasses, but we're a bottom-tier ACC team in the northeast with not a lot of cash to back it up.

I just want 6 or 7 wins every year again. Not much to ask for. The question is who actually gets us there. Cuse just isn't as admirable of a school as it was way back when. We see it through orange glasses, but we're a bottom-tier ACC team in the northeast with not a lot of cash to back it up.
?????? thought we were learning there is cash coming.

dude you're wrong. besides, any kid playing sports with high major D1 football attributes is probably playing others sports and being recruited for them; lacrosse, hockey, baseball and basketball. Thats just the way it is in NY; they play like 9 game football seasons and have no spring ball. they don't work out year round for football.
I'm very skeptical that anyone who would help us be good is a NY high school lax player instead

People like to say stuff even though they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Makes this board tiresome.

If we do have cash to blow, that's news to me.

I'm very skeptical that anyone who would help us be good is a NY high school lax player instead

My point is that high major D1 athletes (lacrosse players especially) are elite athletes and they have football physical attributes. If they devoted 10 years of their life playing football year-round (like they’ve done with lacrosse - fall spring summer on elite travel teams) there’d probably be a lot more D1 football players in the state. Without looking I’d bet the majority of high major D1 lacrosse defensive players go 6 foot + 200+. This extends into CT and Mass to.

Last edited:
I believe Babers will be back as will Sean Tucker. Don’t blame Jones for testing market at all. He has been solid team guy , hope it goes great for him either way. Don’t believe there are too many others that will be leaving for NIL money. Garrett is 90% gone.