PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN

Ithaca, I'm usually with you on issues but times have changed and SU is, and has been for years, a bottom feeder job for a number of reasons. It can get better, but it is very unlikely it will ever approach its previous high points; too many headwinds as they say.

I feel like we have - at worst - "average-plus" facilities.

Yes, big state schools from the Big 10 and SEC have nicer playthings.

But ours are also pretty nice. I don't think anyone is going to think they are bottom feeding, playing at Syracuse in the Dome, on national TV every season.

I've been alive through the 2 good stretches and we are a long way from ever getting back there. The University has really never been interested in developing the fan base.

Did you feel this way after the 10-3 season, the previous upset of Clemson? With Tommy Gunn and about 20 returning starters the next year? Because this town was pretty excited, and he crapped the bed right at the beginning of the season, and seemed to lose every home game.

Other than that ...

I love college football, and a season ticket holder. The University doesn't attempt to get the casual fan interested in going to games. They used to have buses coming from Some of the outlying areas, different grocery stores park and ride..

I kind of agree with this. The University doesn't see for-profit sports as that central to their mission. I think they are missing out there. I recall CTO saying once that the school received a record number of applications the year after the 2003 hoops championship.

There is also a lot of money to be made, if they just paid better attention to the experience.

This would draw more applicants, it would raise selectivity of the school (and its ranking), and it would lead to more big donations if we were successful on a regular basis in football.

Honest to goodness question for you - how many other major college campuses have you ever been to?

We have one kid on the 2 deep from the 315. As many as we have from Berlin.

So what???

Did Boise State become a power because of those recruiting hotbeds in Idaho and Montana?

Boston College is at least competent on both sides of the ball, year after year. Massachusetts is no hotbed of talent, either.

This team was never built exclusive on players from the 315. We had players from all over the state, and mostly from downstate from Westchester or Long Island. Mix in a few Rochester or Utica kids, some Binghamton kids. Our program was never built on truly local talent.

But ours are also pretty nice. I don't think anyone is going to think they are bottom feeding, playing at Syracuse in the Dome, on national TV every season.
Not sure how many P5 school facilities you have seen, but we are certainly not average plus. Even with the new investment announced today would just be getting us caught up to what other P5 schools have already had.

We are getting Crushed. Games are over at the half. Im glad the kids seem to like Dino.I love that hes faith based. That he runs a clean program. Unfortunately hes the proverbial good Dog cant hunt.
SU needs good coaching. Its one area that we cant settle for mediocrity. We have to be good at X and Os. We have to have excellent special teams. We need to out game plan the other teams, to make great in game decisions, to manage the clock well, make in game adjustments and most importantly coach guys up. Develop them.

Dino isnt doing any of this well.
Hes like a teacher that everyone likes but doesn't teach you anything. Hes a good guy that says all the right things that you want to succeed that simply doesn't have what it takes to win at this level.
We need better coaching. Period.

You just don't get it. If you think this is an awful job, then you're not old enough to remember when it was great.

We have played in 26 bowl games, including 2 or 3 Cotton Bowls, Sugar Bowls, Orange Bowls, and a handful of Liberty Bowls, Gator Bowls, Peach Bowls and Fiesta Bowls.

We were in the national conversation from 1987 to 2001, with a couple down years in there.

And we were a national program from 1954 to 1967. We won a national championship. We have more players in the College Hall of Fame than all but a small handful of schools.

Stop thinking this is a crap program, with no history.

I would guess that you weren't introduced to SU football by your father or grandfather. You probably only started following SU when you went to school there, long after our last glory days.

Otherwise you would be a hell of lot more respectful of the program you supposedly love so much.
I remember when working at Carrier was a great job

We are getting Crushed. Games are over at the half. Im glad the kids seem to like Dino.I love that hes faith based. That he runs a clean program. Unfortunately hes the proverbial good Dog cant hunt.
SU needs good coaching. Its one area that we cant settle for mediocrity. We have to be good at X and Os. We have to have excellent special teams. We need to out game plan the other teams, to make great in game decisions, to manage the clock well, make in game adjustments and most importantly coach guys up. Develop them.

Dino isnt doing any of this well.
Hes like a teacher that everyone likes but doesn't teach you anything. Hes a good guy that says all the right things that you want to succeed that simply doesn't have what it takes to win at this level.
We need better coaching. Period.

The last 2 games got away from us, badly.

But for 6 games in a row before that, we were in games decided by one score.

We got crushed twice. We were competitive in most games Shrader has player. He has to get his passing back on track, no question.

But this team is in far better shape than last year, when we won only one freaking game.

There has been progress. You have to admit.

But Dino's teams seem to wear down at the end of every season. We have an awful record in November under him. It's always a mix of injuries and defections.

Mullen isn’t coming to Syracuse guys. His recruiting aside it won’t matter unless you tell me he’s a massive turning stone fan or his wife is from Dewitt
I could see Mullen land at Penn St if Franklin goes to USC or LSU

Where would we fit in this list? I would put us at #8.

Attachments

• 390058E9-A9DE-4ABC-A67C-9F2EB2BCFF76.jpeg
    390058E9-A9DE-4ABC-A67C-9F2EB2BCFF76.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 151
All this talk about Mullen, it's going to be soul crushing when no change is made in the off season.
For the record; my vote is for Dougie to tide us over, until Macky is ready to take the reins.

What if we win Saturday?

Where would we fit in this list? I would put us at #8.

Can't argue that the top 6 are more attractive jobs. You could put us after that.

Is Washington State that attractive of a job? Seems like the best thing about it is that you have your flag flying at gameday every week.

I don't know much about Lubbock either, but that would seem more attractive than Washington State. I just read that they lifted their dry county rule about 10 years ago. Otherwise, I'd have said no thank you.

The kids we recruit think our facilities are nice, but we’re not recruiting with the big boys and those recruits would giggle at what SU has. Our recruits aren’t seeing top programs facilities.

One thing that we do have is the Dome, that is a huge advantage in recruiting and should be emphasized. Being able to control weather conditions for half the schedule is nothing to sneeze at.

More than most.
All the eastern schools multiple times. All 3 academies. Every Big school other than Purdue.
All SEC schools other than Mississippi State , Auburn.

UCLA , USC. Washington. CAL, Arizona, Utah, Oregon.

CU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and AM, Houston, Tulane, App state, NDSU. UND Hawaii,

My favorites: Michigan, Rose Bowl, Washington ( if by boat) LSU, CU, Stanford, and my all time favorite is
West point.

How about you?

BC, RU, UVa, VT, Duke, UNC, NCSU, Wake, FSU, UF, Vandy, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Minny. Pretty impressive places with really good built in recruiting for the most part.

So what???

Did Boise State become a power because of those recruiting hotbeds in Idaho and Montana?

Boston College is at least competent on both sides of the ball, year after year. Massachusetts is no hotbed of talent, either.

This team was never built exclusive on players from the 315. We had players from all over the state, and mostly from downstate from Westchester or Long Island. Mix in a few Rochester or Utica kids, some Binghamton kids. Our program was never built on truly local talent.

Come on Matt, we've both been here forever. Even in the early stages of the board there was robust discussion of local kids and getting them to stay home. When I graduated in 93 there were NYS kids all over the roster in that era, stars like Gedney and Moore, and linemen everywhere. Lots and lots of "upstate" NY kids that were program guys. Those days are sadly gonzo.

Boise is next to CA and pulls kids from there. BC pulls the Catholic, people here have run the #s and almost 40% of their roster comes from Catholic high schools.

Play out that Dino gets lets go (I don't think so but what if) and we get the next MAC coach not named Tim Lester. And he asks Wildhack, etc who are the top 5 local hs programs to get in with. What do they tell him?

Come on Matt, we've both been here forever. Even in the early stages of the board there was robust discussion of local kids and getting them to stay home. When I graduated in 93 there were NYS kids all over the roster in that era, stars like Gedney and Moore, and linemen everywhere. Lots and lots of "upstate" NY kids that were program guys. Those days are sadly gonzo.

Boise is next to CA and pulls kids from there. BC pulls the Catholic, people here have run the #s and almost 40% of their roster comes from Catholic high schools.

Play out that Dino gets lets go (I don't think so but what if) and we get the next MAC coach not named Tim Lester. And he asks Wildhack, etc who are the top 5 local hs programs to get in with. What do they tell him?
Nobody recruits New York so why would any programs, coaches or players put in the effort to play D1 ball when they are never going to get a chance? There are untold amounts of guys who would be capable but they don't see the dream. Liepold built a very powerful team at UB with mostly NY guys, so there is some data for it.

Nobody recruits New York so why would any programs, coaches or players put in the effort to play D1 ball when they are never going to get a chance? There are untold amounts of guys who would be capable but they don't see the dream. Liepold built a very powerful team at UB with mostly NY guys, so there is some data for it.

Sure.

Can't argue that the top 6 are more attractive jobs. You could put us after that.

Is Washington State that attractive of a job? Seems like the best thing about it is that you have your flag flying at gameday every week.

I don't know much about Lubbock either, but that would seem more attractive than Washington State. I just read that they lifted their dry county rule about 10 years ago. Otherwise, I'd have said no thank you.
Lubbock has better in-state football prospects than UW.
On the downside, it constantly smells like cow manure.

EDIT: Then again...

2021-11-23_8-58-00.jpg

Last edited:
Why do so many fans have such low expectations.
Because we haven't been relevant since McNabb left, and the University has always lagged behind everyone of their peers in spending on the football program.

Sure.
Your going to tell me that there aren't 10 guys across all of upstate NY who are capable of playing D1 ball? Given a serious development program? Please, what are the people here, some genetically inferior breed of people. If you had Syracuse coaches going to high schools across the state, pretty soon other players at those schools start thinking, I'm better than him, I could play at Syracuse. This is a totally untapped resource.

Your going to tell me that there aren't 10 guys across all of upstate NY who are capable of playing D1 ball? Given a serious development program? Please, what are the people here, some genetically inferior breed of people. If you had Syracuse coaches going to high schools across the state, pretty soon other players at those schools start thinking, I'm better than him, I could play at Syracuse. This is a totally untapped resource.

So every single kid of those 10 needs to stay home. You're proving my point. We went through the #s with Wake and NCSU, they have around 30 or more in-state kids each for comparison.

So every single kid of those 10 needs to stay home. You're proving my point. We went through the #s with Wake and NCSU, they have around 30 or more in-state kids each for comparison.
There are guys out there. If Syracuse isn't going looking for them, nobody else is going to come to upstate looking, so then there is no recruiting happening that spurs programs and players.

There are guys out there. If Syracuse isn't going looking for them, nobody else is going to come to upstate looking, so then there is no recruiting happening that spurs programs and players.

dude you're wrong. besides, any kid playing sports with high major D1 football attributes is probably playing others sports and being recruited for them; lacrosse, hockey, baseball and basketball. Thats just the way it is in NY; they play like 9 game football seasons and have no spring ball. they don't work out year round for football.

dude you're wrong. besides, any kid playing sports with high major D1 football attributes is probably playing others sports and being recruited for them; lacrosse, hockey, baseball and basketball. Thats just the way it is in NY; they play like 9 game football seasons and have no spring ball. they don't work out year round for football.
That just means that they will require more development.