PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN

Why do you keep saying this is a crap job. What the hell is wrong with you?

Syracuse has an indoor stadium. Syracuse draws the nation's biggest crowds for hoops, and is dying to support a winning football team again.

We play in the ACC, we don't play in a crap league. You win this league and you can play for a championship.

Would you rather be Rutgers or UConn?? Seriously, I'm so tired of people seeing this as a bad job. This school has been a national power for 2 stretches that each lasted more than a decade while I have been a fan.

Get over this loser crap. People like you hold the program back.
it's my fault we have been to 4 bowl games since 2005? It's my fault that we are located in a state with very little P5 talent? It's my fault we are a smaller private school that doesn't pay big money for coaches?

I love this goddamned school and program, but I am not some pie in the sky person who thinks Dan Mullen, who was highly successful at two SEC schools and is paid like $8 million a year is going to even THINK of coming here, nor is our university going to even think of paying him what he would want. We aren't U Conn, of course not. But we are one of the worst jobs in the P5 and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. Do I think we can/should go to bowls consistently and here and there have the kind of year like we had in 2018? Yeah. But guys like Dan Mullen don't come to Syracuse unless they are like an Art Briles kind of guy who gets run of town for being a scumbag and doesn't have options.

My apologies to everyone on this forum for holding this program back, I am ashamed of myself

103-61 as a head coach in the SEC. 34-15 as head coach at Florida and he gets canned. Meanwhile we sit here and debate whether our coach who is 29-42(19-39 without 2018), deserves another year. Two different planets.
AMEN.

it's my fault we have been to 4 bowl games since 2005? It's my fault that we are located in a state with very little P5 talent? It's my fault we are a smaller private school that doesn't pay big money for coaches?

I love this goddamned school and program, but I am not some pie in the sky person who thinks Dan Mullen, who was highly successful at two SEC schools and is paid like $8 million a year is going to even THINK of coming here, nor is our university going to even think of paying him what he would want. We aren't U Conn, of course not. But we are one of the worst jobs in the P5 and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. Do I think we can/should go to bowls consistently and here and there have the kind of year like we had in 2018? Yeah. But guys like Dan Mullen don't come to Syracuse unless they are like an Art Briles kind of guy who gets run of town for being a scumbag and doesn't have options.

My apologies to everyone on this forum for holding this program back, I am ashamed of myself

Syracuse has an indoor stadium. Syracuse draws the nation's biggest crowds for hoops, and is dying to support a winning football team again.

We play in the ACC, we don't play in a crap league. You win this league and you can play for a championship.

Would you rather be Rutgers or UConn?? Seriously, I'm so tired of people seeing this as a bad job. This school has been a national power for 2 stretches that each lasted more than a decade while I have been a fan.

I've been alive through the 2 good stretches and we are a long way from ever getting back there. The University has really never been interested in developing the fan base.
I love college football, and a season ticket holder. The University doesn't attempt to get the casual fan interested in going to games. They used to have buses coming from Some of the outlying areas, different grocery stores park and ride..

You just don't get it. If you think this is an awful job, then you're not old enough to remember when it was great.

We have played in 26 bowl games, including 2 or 3 Cotton Bowls, Sugar Bowls, Orange Bowls, and a handful of Liberty Bowls, Gator Bowls, Peach Bowls and Fiesta Bowls.

We were in the national conversation from 1987 to 2001, with a couple down years in there.

And we were a national program from 1954 to 1967. We won a national championship. We have more players in the College Hall of Fame than all but a small handful of schools.

Stop thinking this is a crap program, with no history.

I would guess that you weren't introduced to SU football by your father or grandfather. You probably only started following SU when you went to school there, long after our last glory days.

Otherwise you would be a hell of lot more respectful of the program you supposedly love so much.

You just don't get it. If you think this is an awful job, then you're not old enough to remember when it was great.

We have played in 26 bowl games, including 2 or 3 Cotton Bowls, Sugar Bowls, Orange Bowls, and a handful of Liberty Bowls, Gator Bowls, Peach Bowls and Fiesta Bowls.

We were in the national conversation from 1987 to 2001, with a couple down years in there.

And we were a national program from 1954 to 1967. We won a national championship. We have more players in the College Hall of Fame than all but a small handful of schools.

I would guess that you weren't introduced to SU football by your father or grandfather. You probably only started following SU when you went to school there, long after our last glory days.

Otherwise you would be a hell of lot more respectful of the program you supposedly love so much.
I was a student from 85-89, so you are beyond wrong. We have a great history and I love this program as much as you or anyone, but we haven’t been that program since McNabb left. I guarantee if you poll every head coach and assistant coach in the P5 they would say it’s one of the hardest and worst jobs around. I am very aware of our history and I am very proud of it, but I also know what coaches think of modern day Syracuse

AMEN.

Ithaca, I'm usually with you on issues but times have changed and SU is, and has been for years, a bottom feeder job for a number of reasons. It can get better, but it is very unlikely it will ever approach its previous high points; too many headwinds as they say.

Any ACC program that’s serious about football, with a potential HC change anytime soon, should be all over Mullen.

Thats not us. The HC issue, yes… Serious about football, no.

I would be speechless for about a week if we actually gauged his interest.

I don’t have current list. But as of 2009, SU is right about the middle of the pack for coach salary.

All this talk about Mullen, it's going to be soul crushing when no change is made in the off season.
For the record; my vote is for Dougie to tide us over, until Macky is ready to take the reins.

Last edited:
Lol. If Mullen received a call today from ADJW to gauge his interest in the Syracuse job, I wonder if he laughed or cried? I wonder if he hung up immediately or at least respectfully declined.
Why do so many fans have such low expectations.

Great post. The negative, lets keep Dino, loser mentality is beyond belief.

Agreed. We are Syracuse University. We have put more players in the hall of fame than almost every school we play. Top 10.
We have one of the best venues in college football. We are in a great conference. We just announced a 150 million dollar athletic initiative. We are known internationally.
Syracuse is a storied brand.
We need to act like winners and stop accepting mediocrity.
If Dino gets blown out on Saturday he should be gone Sunday.
Dont assume we cant hire a great coach. Dont act second rate because SU isnt. Dont settle.

Agreed. We are Syracuse University. We have put more players in the hall of fame than almost every school we play. Top 10.
We have one of the best venues in college football. We are in a great conference. We just announced a 150 million dollar athletic initiative. We are known internationally.
Syracuse is a storied brand.
We need to act like winners and stop accepting mediocrity.
If Dino gets blown out on Saturday he should be gone Sunday.
Dont assume we cant hire a great coach. Dont act second rate because SU isnt. Dont settle.

Honest to goodness question for you - how many other major college campuses have you ever been to?

We have one kid on the 2 deep from the 315. As many as we have from Berlin.

Last edited:
Honest to goodness question for you - how many other major college campuses have you ever been to?
More than most.
All the eastern schools multiple times. All 3 academies. Every Big school other than Purdue.
All SEC schools other than Mississippi State , Auburn.

UCLA , USC. Washington. CAL, Arizona, Utah, Oregon.

CU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and AM, Houston, Tulane, App state, NDSU. UND Hawaii,

My favorites: Michigan, Rose Bowl, Washington ( if by boat) LSU, CU, Stanford, and my all time favorite is
West point.

How about you?

Unfortunately to today's kids none of that means a thing. They may know Jim Brown from the movies, or because they hear his name, but these kids don't care what happened in the 50's and 60's.

It doesn't make you less than a fan stating the fact that we aren't built to compete in the modern era of college football. Things have changed so much since the last time we were consistently competitive in the late 80's through 90's. Once the arms race started we got left behind in the dust, and now it's been so long so we were last good none of these kids no otherwise. Right now this is one of the worst P5 jobs.