Put the darlings, Mich St., and their resume up against ours | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Put the darlings, Mich St., and their resume up against ours

Syracuse has probably made the tourney once or twice over teams that deserved it more because of the Syracuse (& JB) brand.

When there is a close call between what bubble team to put in, I don't mind selecting the team that will bring more viewers and ratings to the tourney because it would help Syracuse in those situations.
Really? Left out more than taken based on brand. That’s for sure.

We can complain about the NET's flaws, but I do think there is merit to including margin of victory or defeat. I think the problem is not capping that margin at a reasonable value like 10 points.

Efficiency based variables have margin of victory impacts baked into them. So removing scoring margin as a specific formula does little to nothing to dilute it from use of the efficiency factors. One could argue removing it (with the 10 pt cap it had at inception) actually had the opposite effect of how much scoring margin impacted the rankings.

Syracuse has probably made the tourney once or twice over teams that deserved it more because of the Syracuse (& JB) brand.

When there is a close call between what bubble team to put in, I don't mind selecting the team that will bring more viewers and ratings to the tourney because it would help Syracuse in those situations.
We got ridiculously shafted in 2006-07.
22-10 (10-6)
Won 5 of last 6 in regular season
Beat #9 Hoyas in penultimate regular-season game (by 14 points)
Won game, then lost in BE Tournament.

Oregon neutral, LSU, Colgate (prob league winner), road game at GTOWN. And we played every1. Don’t you realize their “Q1” games are just because some idiot decided to make the MWC teams quad 1 teams?
Oregon and LSU two teams not in the field. Oregon also was without their best player. Georgetown is 9-18 and literally the second worst p6 school behind DePaul. And yes we beat Colgate (didn’t think you would celebrate a win like that). Colgate is 136 in the net 147 according to KP. Colgate also got beat by Yale(by 18) lost to Harvard and Iona (by 20). The Patriot league is absolutely terrible this year. New Mexico’s wins over Louisiana tech and Santa Clara are both better wins. LT is 82 in the net SC is 107. Santa Clara also beat Oregon. Nothing is impressive about our non conference and we also got blown out by every good team we played. The last sentence of your post is how I know you definitely don’t watch the MW.

To fix the net, any win over a team not in the top 200 doesn't count.
....not sure when they must be in the top 200? When you play them or at the end of the year? Obviously the top 200 stabilizes as the teams hit mid season heading towards completion of their schedule

To fix the net, any win over a team not in the top 200 doesn't count.
every win has to count becuase what makes 201 so much worse than 200? or even 180 for that matter

Really? Left out more than taken based on brand. That’s for sure.
Syracuse was on the bubble in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2021 and made the tourney each year but 2017.

every win has to count becuase what makes 201 so much worse than 200? or even 180 for that matter
I think it should 250. That’s not that hard for a P5 team to schedule. It’s not meant to be perfect it’s meant for a deterrent to the B12 and the mountain west gaming their noncon for the net.

There is absolutely no reason for tournament level teams to be playing 250 net teams let alone 5-6 of them. We played 1 with canisius. Some teams played multiple 300+ net teams. Thats like playing Lemoyne over and over again, they’re 7-9 in Q4.

I think it should 250. That’s not that hard for a P5 team to schedule. It’s not meant to be perfect it’s meant for a deterrent to the B12 and the mountain west gaming their noncon for the net.

There is absolutely no reason for tournament level teams to be playing 250 net teams let alone 5-6 of them. We played 1 with canisius. Some teams played multiple 300+ net teams. Thats like playing Lemoyne over and over again, they’re 7-9 in Q4.

Teams should probably be punished for playing a lot of games outside the Top 150, especially for Ls. Maybe you can go out to the Top 200. There is no reason to play teams OOC over 200 for the P6.

I don't pay close enough attention to all the resume stuff. How much of this stuff is because the ACC stunk against other conferences early in the year? Our team doesn't strike me as a tournament quality team, but that's because I automatically compare it our other tournament/bubble teams in the past. Are the teams on the bubble this year really bad?
The ACC did well in the non conference and had a better record against the Big 12 in head to head matchups.

22-10 (10-6)

Maybe the biggest snub in the 64 team era. We werent even considered a bubble team, everyone had us solidly in. Except the committee.

22-10 (10-6)

I actually remember exactly where I was during this selection show...

(Playing beer pong in a bar on the UES of Manhattan)

Simply put the ACC has a huge marketing problem for all sports and for its programs.

The media loves bashing on the ACC and the ACC and its programs basically sit back and take it.

Then it becomes gospel of how bad the conference is despite actual head to head metrics and results and it feeds on itself.

(Playing beer pong in a bar on the UES of Manhattan)
I'll be honest if you asked me "what area in the United States has seen the fewest beer pong games in it's history" I would have guessed the Upper East Side. Were the cups filled with Dom Perignon?

I'll be honest if you asked me "what area in the United States has seen the fewest beer pong games in it's history" I would have guessed the Upper East Side. Were the cups filled with Dom Perignon?

Oh man, not the Gossip Girl area of the UES, think more the avenues that are more east. Lot of bars that cater to twenty-somethings and rowdiness once you hit the numbered avenues up there. Or at least that was the case back then.

I can assure you at that age and at that bar the only thing I was drinking was some sort of cheap lager.

Simply put the ACC has a huge marketing problem for all sports and for its programs.

The media loves bashing on the ACC and the ACC and its programs basically sit back and take it.

Then it becomes gospel of how bad the conference is despite actual head to head metrics and results and it feeds on itself.
Well, a little success from people other than Clemson in FSU in football and Duke UNC and Virginia in basketball would help

"Syracuse fan thinks Syracuse should always be in the tournament without a doubt and isn't joking."

That feels like an Onion headline. ;)
It make senses that since there are only two schools (Kentucky is the other one) pack 25,000 in their arena. People who support schools expect to see schools make it to NCAA tournament.

22-10 (10-6)
I was at NIT game at Clemson. The team was deflated and defeated.

If they were going to do it, it would be recalculated every day.

Whoever made the top 200 today would count.

I think excluding performance metrics like offensive and defensive efficiency and margin of victory against sub 200 teams would probably greatly improve the NET.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom