Put the darlings, Mich St., and their resume up against ours | Syracusefan.com

Put the darlings, Mich St., and their resume up against ours

all the Pitino talk is gonna come back around too. Now St John’s has beat Villanova and Creighton. I’m sure lunardi already had them back in. 2 games over 500. 7th of 11 in the big East.
Yup!

If it’s not for this crock of garbage fake net stuff, we have the better resume. God forbid we leave Izzo out.
It’s amazing what “people” think of Big 10 anything. It’s a joke. Football, basketball it doesn’t matter. For some reason “their brand” is tough and hard nosed. No they are just terrible. Iowa football went like 65 quarters with no points. Michigan state basketball is not that good yet they are like 23 on the net ? Yeah yeah I know Michigan won the CFP but the perception is so wrong about Big Tennnnnnnn

all the Pitino talk is gonna come back around too. Now St John’s has beat Villanova and Creighton. I’m sure lunardi already had them back in. 2 games over 500. 7th of 11 in the big East.
I said it in another thread but I cannot believe all these mediocre Big East teams are so firmly around the cut line. Butler, St. John’s, Nova, Providence, Xavier.

I don’t get how the perception of the Big East is so much stronger than the ACC at the moment. I don’t know how they might get 7 teams in and it looks like a stretch for us to get to 5 let alone 6.

New Mexico’s resume is also mind boggling

Last edited:
I don't pay close enough attention to all the resume stuff. How much of this stuff is because the ACC stunk against other conferences early in the year? Our team doesn't strike me as a tournament quality team, but that's because I automatically compare it our other tournament/bubble teams in the past. Are the teams on the bubble this year really bad?

It’s amazing what “people” think of Big 10 anything. It’s a joke. Football, basketball it doesn’t matter. For some reason “their brand” is tough and hard nosed. No they are just terrible. Iowa football went like 65 quarters with no points. Michigan state basketball is not that good yet they are like 23 on the net ? Yeah yeah I know Michigan won the CFP but the perception is so wrong about Big Tennnnnnnn

The last time a BIG team won a basketball national championship was a mere 24 years ago.

Before that, it goes back to 1989.

New Mexico’s resume is also bing boggling
They have wins against 3 ranked teams and a win at Nevada. The disrespect to the mountain west is really dumb. People don't watch them and just assume they aren't legit. The top 7 teams in the MW are very talented. Colorado St, San Diego St, Utah St, New Mexico, Boise St, possibly Nevada will all be tournament teams unless they fall off a cliff and deservingly so. Go watch New Mexico and tell me you dont think they belong in the field. They would smoke us.

They have wins against 3 ranked teams and a win at Nevada. The disrespect to the mountain west is really dumb. People don't watch them and just assume they aren't legit. The top 7 teams in the MW are very talented. Colorado St, San Diego St, Utah St, New Mexico, Boise St, possibly Nevada will all be tournament teams unless they fall off a cliff and deservingly so. Go watch New Mexico and tell me you dont think they belong in the field. They would smoke us.
I have and no they would not. Maybe at home they’d beat us, but Air Force didn’t seem to have trouble this wk. MWC has continuously been a laughing stock in the tourney aside from last yr’s fluke SDSU run. To think you want 6 from there over the ACC is laughable. As is the NET who favors these conferences. Who did NM beat out of conf? I’ll wait

I have and no they would not. Maybe at home they’d beat us, but Air Force didn’t seem to have trouble this wk. MWC has continuously been a laughing stock in the tourney aside from last yr’s fluke SDSU run. To think you want 6 from there over the ACC is laughable. As is the NET who favors these conferences. Who did NM beat out of conf? I’ll wait
Doesn't matter what the history has been for the MW this is the best its ever been. What makes what SDSU did a fluke? They are a projected 4 seed this year led by one of the best players in the country. New Mexico had an easy non con but took care of business and won every game they were supposed to and most of them weren't close. They're also 4-3 in Q1. Im an ACC fan just as much as you are but people are correct when they say the league isn't the same as its been. Who did we beat out of Conf? who did Pitt beat out of conf? The acc should have 5 bids. UNC, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Wake

The MWC has gamed the system for years. Look at New Mexico's OOC schedule. Who did they play? Who did they beat? That OOC schedule back in the day would have been used as an excuse to leave a P6 team out. The MWC builds up their teams with weak OOC games to get teams ranked and then play each other to show ranked wins.

San Diego State and Colorado State at least had legit OOC schedules. The rest were mainly a joke and lost to any team with a NCAAT pulse.

Doesn't matter what the history has been for the MW this is the best its ever been. What makes what SDSU did a fluke? They are a projected 4 seed this year led by one of the best players in the country. New Mexico had an easy non con but took care of business and won every game they were supposed to and most of them weren't close. They're also 4-3 in Q1. Im an ACC fan just as much as you are but people are correct when they say the league isn't the same as its been. Who did we beat out of Conf? who did Pitt beat out of conf? The acc should have 5 bids. UNC, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Wake
Oregon neutral, LSU, Colgate (prob league winner), road game at GTOWN. And we played every1. Don’t you realize their “Q1” games are just because some idiot decided to make the MWC teams quad 1 teams?

RPI of Michigan St dropped from 49th to 67th after losing to Ohio State. The biggest drop I ever seen in the very late stage of regular season for a P6 team.
But what is the RPI at this point?

But what is the RPI at this point?

The RPI 2.0 stunk but it was better than the NET.

Michigan State would have been 81st
New Mexico 53rd
SU 29th

If we were using the old system we would be in right now. It is all about perception.

Top 50 by conference:

8 teams- SEC
6 teams- ACC
5 teams- B1G, B12
4 teams- A10, Big East, MWC
3 teams- AAC
2 teams- Ivy, MVC, P12, WCC
1 team- Southern, Sunbelt, WAC

The narrative completely changes. No one is talking about the ACC only getting 3 teams if we use the old metrics.

If it’s not for this crock of garbage fake net stuff, we have the better resume. God forbid we leave Izzo out.
0 quad 3 losses is more than enough to give them the edge over Syracuse, I dont think they’re a good comparison at all

Last edited:
Oregon neutral, LSU, Colgate (prob league winner), road game at GTOWN. And we played every1. Don’t you realize their “Q1” games are just because some idiot decided to make the MWC teams quad 1 teams?
Exactly, adding on. Go to bball.net and look at the Q4 games. Cuse played 1 Q4 team above 250 in the Net, that was Canisius. The Mountain West and Big12 all have 5, 6, some as many as 8 250+ Net teams they played at HOME. That's how you game the Net.

There is a huge difference between a Georgetown team that is 8-1 in Q4 in the big east and the cellar non-P5 team that are 3-14 in Q4 , yet the Net counts them the same.

I'd rather have my self respect and beat real teams than have teams show up to the dome for weeks in December so we can look like the Harlem globetrotters.

Lastly all I can say for people that think the Mountain West or the B12 / B1G are the best they've ever been and dominant leagues. We will know for sure in March after the opening weekend of tourney won't we. Should be easy money betting on Purdue or Colorado St. please post your betting slips.

Last edited:
Exactly, adding on. Go to bball.net and look at the Q4 games. Cuse played 1 Q4 team above 250 in the Net, that was Canisius. The Mountain West and Big12 all have 5, 6, some as many as 8 250+ Net teams they played at HOME. That's how you game the Net.

There is a huge difference between a Georgetown team that is 8-1 in Q4 in the big east and the cellar non-P5 team that are 3-14 in Q4 , yet the Net counts them the same.

I'd rather have my self respect and beat real teams than have teams show up to the dome for weeks in December so we can look like the Harlem globetrotters.

Lastly all I can say for people that think the Mountain West or the B12 / B1G are the best they've ever been and dominant leagues. We will know for sure in March after the opening weekend of tourney won't we. Should be easy money betting on Purdue or Colorado St. please post your betting slips.
To fix the net, any win over a team not in the top 200 doesn't count.

I don’t think anyone believes this is the best B10/12 season ever. Last year’s B12 did indeed have that moniker.
Could this be the best/deepest MWC? Quite possibly. Doesn’t mean they have many (any) teams capable of winning more than 1-2 games in March.

The MWC has gamed the system for years. Look at New Mexico's OOC schedule. Who did they play? Who did they beat? That OOC schedule back in the day would have been used as an excuse to leave a P6 team out. The MWC builds up their teams with weak OOC games to get teams ranked and then play each other to show ranked wins.

San Diego State and Colorado State at least had legit OOC schedules. The rest were mainly a joke and lost to any team with a NCAAT pulse.

BSU played a competive schedule and has an OOC win over a sure-fire NCAAT team.

We can complain about the NET's flaws, but I do think there is merit to including margin of victory or defeat. I think the problem is not capping that margin at a reasonable value like 10 points.

Syracuse has probably made the tourney once or twice over teams that deserved it more because of the Syracuse (& JB) brand.

When there is a close call between what bubble team to put in, I don't mind selecting the team that will bring more viewers and ratings to the tourney because it would help Syracuse in those situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom