Puzzling JB comment | Syracusefan.com

Puzzling JB comment

Cuse4

Scout Team
All year it's been we are going to ride the hot hand... Now in yesterday's post game it's, "Those veteran guys, that's who you have to go with in these situations."... We're going to need Dion end of games, I hope it's not just decided in JB's head that Scoop and BT need to be out there at the end now just because we got this good win

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here, and guess that JB knows how good Waiters is, and how much he helps this team when he's playing well and within the team concept. JB just doesn't want him to keep trying to be The Dude!

You read too much into post game "in the heat of the moment" comments. When JB doesn't go with the veterans its easy for him to explain it as riding the hot hand. When he does go with the veterans its easy to describe it as going with experience. Last night he went with experience because Dion showed his youth by not really playing within the flow of the game and trying too hard to make plays that weren't there happen. He'll learn from that and be back out there when needed in crunch time, or he won't and he won't be back out there in crunch time.

Don't buy into it. Last night Triche was aggressive, Scoop was playing well and as pfister said Dion was not "within the flow of the game." Perhaps only Albany is a bigger Dion supporter than me but last night Scoop and Triche deserved to be on the floor. Have no fear Dion will be on the floor in crunch time more often than not.

I take JB's riding the hot hand comment as in any particular game a player can become hot and they will keep getting that guy the ball. Waiters has had the hot hand most of the season, except last night.

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here, and guess that JB knows how good Waiters is, and how much he helps this team when he's playing well and within the team concept. JB just doesn't want him to keep trying to be The Dude!
exactly . . . Dion may end up taking the last shot in certain games, but you don't want him initiating the play. He has a scorer's mentality and a hero's ego - put the ball in his hands and that is where it is likely to stay. Much better to let Scoop initiate the offense and trust him to find the guy with the best look.

Definitely consistent with what JB has said all year as on several occasions he has said we are going to go as far as Kjo and Scoop take us. They are the senior leaders.
He said it preseason, he said early in the year and has said it on Syracuse Sidelines.

My take on this comment is that while Dion is a more prolific scorer, KJo and Scoop have greater maturity and know how to "let the game come to them a bit more." Clearly in last night's game Dion tried to force some action whereas the seniors were patinet to understand what the defense was giving us.

Definitely consistent with what JB has said all year as on several occasions he has said we are going to go as far as Kjo and Scoop take us. They are the senior leaders.
He said it preseason, he said early in the year and has said it on Syracuse Sidelines.
Sure, but doesn't mean it is always true.
Could just as easily say we could go as far as Fab & Dion take us.
This team is very balanced, but it sure helps to have Fab and at least one of the shooting guards on his game. We have had several games when neither Scoop nor KJ got it going and it was fine, because others stepped up.

All year it's been we are going to ride the hot hand... Now in yesterday's post game it's, "Those veteran guys, that's who you have to go with in these situations."... We're going to need Dion end of games, I hope it's not just decided in JB's head that Scoop and BT need to be out there at the end now just because we got this good win

Many of the comments that JB makes at PCs are relatively meaningless, spur of the moment thoughts that you shouldn't pay much attention to. Last season, he said at different times: 1) BT was our best PG, 2) our PG is the one who has the ball, and 3) Scoop is the only PG on the team. Many other coaches are the same.

Sure, but doesn't mean it is always true.
Could just as easily say we could go as far as Fab & Dion take us.
This team is very balanced, but it sure helps to have Fab and at least one of the shooting guards on his game. We have had several games when neither Scoop nor KJ got it going and it was fine, because others stepped up.
I never said it was true. I just said that he has said it throughout the year.

If there's a year where it's practically impossible to find fault with Boeheim's rotations, this is it.

We have three great college guards Dion, Triche and Scoop can all be great college guards this year.

Yes Scoop Triches KJO's experience and ability to play a step ahead of opponenets because of it is huge.
They know the cuts, and when and where to attack. that is huge. Not having Fab a few games was a blessing to our seniors.

They overcame one of the three toughest big east away games of the year. They all start there game from the perimeter and did it withoug post up threats. Not having Melo a game or two was a blessing and they showed what they got and should have extended built confidence right now!!! Concrats to them!!

I take JB's riding the hot hand comment as in any particular game a player can become hot and they will keep getting that guy the ball. Waiters has had the hot hand most of the season, except last night.

Yet still, with less than 10 seconds in the half, SU ball after the timeout, it was Dion into the lane. The bucket at the buzzer for a 3 point lead. I think he might go back to that at another point in the season.

Dion is able to shoot a jumper off a sidestep, change of direction our other guys don't have the touch to do so but that doesn't mean they won't get a better look.

Thats what was missing most from his game yesterday.

As far as consistancy goes tough to say any of the guys should shoot more then the others.

Dion, Scoop, Triche, KJO and Southerland are all about equal from outside getting hot at different times.

...and lets not forget Triche had a terrific all around game including defense...4 steals. 50% shooting and 3 boards...Triche played 35 minutes and his net points based on SWC75 analysis was way on top for the team in this game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom