Q & A Chop Shop | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Q & A Chop Shop

Why does everyone assume Ennis is gone after 1 or 2 years. Most people who leave early for the NBA draft do so because they either have academic/financial problems, or are athletically superior to the competition. Ennis is very skilled, but he doesn't have, and never will have, the athleticism needed to be a lottery pick. Who is the last player you know that left early for the NBA that didn't have elite athleticism, but still was a top 15-20 pick.

Don't get me wrong, Ennis is going to be a stud in college and probably a very good pro, but that will be because he is a great game manager, team leader, and true point guard, not because he can get to the rack and finish like Dion. And from my experience these last few years, the NBA doesn't draft many 20 year old game managers with sub-par NBA athleticism. Think of Khaliff Wyatt from Temple. Dude could score against anyone, extremely smart and talented, but limited athletically. He killed everyone he went up against in college, but still couldnt get drafted. The NBA reaches based off of potential and athleticism, and that hurts Ennis' draft prospects, thus giving him a reason to stay 3-4 years at Syracuse

Kendall Marshall... and he can't even shoot, it's really amazing.

I hate to say it, but, Whitehead. Ennis might be here 3 or 4 years. In any event, the college game is changing. It is swinging to one and dones. Cal jumped on it with both feet and even Duke is now in on it. Once you get on that train it attracts other one and dones. One and dones want to be coddled: special dorms, the whole celeb package, and that is what Cal provides. I sure hope that the NBA makes a change. I prefer team development over recruiting competition, which is really competition to see who can do the best job spoiling the recruit.

Trey Burke
Kendall Marshall... and he can't even shoot, it's really amazing.
More just proving a point as obviously some guys have been drafted, but Marshall is an elite passer, and Burke is an elite scorer. But thank you for giving me names, some slip through my head from time to time

More just proving a point as obviously some guys have been drafted, but Marshall is an elite passer, and Burke is an elite scorer. But thank you for giving me names, some slip through my head from time to time
Tyler can pass and score with the best of them. He has put up good numbers in the HS/AAU/International field over the past few years against great competition. As we know he's not winning any slam dunk contest when it comes to athleticism but I think his quickness is highly deceptive. I remember in the ESPN HS Championship Tourney this past spring against Findlay Prep and Montverde(both schools that are loaded with high-major talent at the guard position), there wasn't one player who could stay in front of him and keep him out of the lane. He was always good at picking his spots whether to speed up the tempo or slow things down. At first like most I thought he was a definite 4yr player, but now I would be surprise if that's the case whether he leaves after his 2nd or 3rd year.

Let me flip the script on you guys and ask a question. If you had to choose one between Joseph and Whitehead, who do you choose? The guard who will most likely be a 4yr program player that could be a star during his Jr/Sr season, or the projected pro who might not be around long but gives JB the chance to win his 2nd chip sooner?

What's your answer to this question? I feel like the bolded says it all.. I def. have to lean Whitehead.

Tyler can pass and score with the best of them. He has put up good numbers in the HS/AAU/International field over the past few years against great competition. As we know he's not winning any slam dunk contest when it comes to athleticism but I think his quickness is highly deceptive. I remember in the ESPN HS Championship Tourney this past spring against Findlay Prep and Montverde(both schools that are loaded with high-major talent at the guard position), there wasn't one player who could stay in front of him and keep him out of the lane. He was always good at picking his spots whether to speed up the tempo or slow things down. At first like most I thought he was a definite 4yr player, but now I would be surprise if that's the case whether he leaves after his 2nd or 3rd year.
He's unbelievable at the high school level and can score/pass, no doubt. And although I think it's a pretty safe bet he can replicate that in college, I wouldn't just go out and say that because he did it well in high school, that it's a no brainer he'll have an elite skill set against better competition. Also, in comparing him to Burke and Marshall, Burke was POY and Marshall was the Cousy award winner with 9.8 assists per game, so I wouldn't say it's an apt comparison just yet.

What's your answer to this question? I feel like the bolded says it all.. I def. have to lean Whitehead.
I have been going back n forth on this one as of late. I've always been "all in" with Joseph since the spring. Whitehead's improved play and the fact that he's probably the best offensive player that we're currently recruiting in 14/15 and can takeover a game like Dion did, has me leaning a little more in his direction now.

I have been going back n forth on this one as of late. I've always been "all in" with Joseph since the spring. Whitehead's improved play and the fact that he's probably the best offensive player that we're currently recruiting in 14/15 and can takeover a game like Dion did, has me leaning a little more in his direction now.

See, I think we'll have plenty of offense that season, so I lean more to the distributor. I think we get a big time talent either way, but I'd go for Kaleb Joseph.

Francis, when do you think either one is going to pull the trigger and make it official. Whitehead said before the season. You think we get at least one during the camp?

He's unbelievable at the high school level and can score/pass, no doubt. And although I think it's a pretty safe bet he can replicate that in college, I wouldn't just go out and say that because he did it well in high school, that it's a no brainer he'll have an elite skill set against better competition. Also, in comparing him to Burke and Marshall, Burke was POY and Marshall was the Cousy award winner with 9.8 assists per game, so I wouldn't say it's an apt comparison just yet.
Never compared him specifically to Burke and Marshall. You mentioned scoring and passing in which I discussed The Creator's ability to do well in both departments. Nothing is definitely a no brainer but if he has been successful against highly ranked players that he'll be facing on the next level in college, wouldn't that give you the confidence that he'll be able to duplicate the same at SU? Outside of Duke, Pitt, and Louisville next year, it's not like he'll be facing defensive juggernauts on a nightly basis in conference play.

Provided he is not a team killer, always take the great player or potentially great player versus the program guy. Teams recruit program guys every year but you can't always get the great player, and great players attract even better program guys.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Francis, when do you think either one is going to pull the trigger and make it official. Whitehead said before the season. You think we get at least one during the camp?
Both plan to announce before the season start. When it comes to Whitehead, I gotta believe that the Newton commitment to Miami takes some of the luster off Minnesota. UCLA and St. John's are really the only other schools to show any significant interest outside of SU over the past month in him. He talks about visiting Zona but they hardly showed him any love last month and have put out about a dozen offers to other guards. Have to think that eventually he'll get tired of the lack of attention and just commit to us but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. If either Joseph and Whitehead show up for the Elite Camp then I'll really like our chances for a commitment after.

Both plan to announce before the season start. When it comes to Whitehead, I gotta believe that the Newton commitment to Miami takes some of the luster off Minnesota. UCLA and St. John's are really the only other schools to show any significant interest outside of SU over the past month in him. He talks about visiting Zona but they hardly showed him any love last month and have put out about a dozen offers to other guards. Have to think that eventually he'll get tired of the lack of attention and just commit to us but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. If either Joseph and Whitehead show up for the Elite Camp then I'll really like our chances for a commitment after.
I wonder when we 'll know who's coming to our elite camp.

I wonder when we 'll know who's coming to our elite camp.
We should hear more names as the day gets close but everything is always tentative till we see who is actually there. I remember Malachi had planned to attend last year but couldn't make it in the last minute because of school obligations that he had to take care of.

Findlay Prep (who Tyler's team beat in the end of season tournament) would probably finish in the top 5 or 6 of the ACC. Ennis has played against the best competition and done very well against all of them. The only unknown is how he reacts to the type of pressure JB puts on some players. But honestly, since JB has few, if any, options behind Tyler, he will have the freedom to feel his way and I think will excel. He'll have a Jonny Flynn-like freshman year. is my prediction.

I'd go with Whitehead. If you could get 1-2 years with Ennis, Roberson, McCullough & Whitehead while DC2 is still around? Watch Out!!! That would be something special to see!

You have to go for the NC. And with that in the fold, I doubt Hop has a hard time convincing kids to come to Syracuse in the future!

With Whitehead, I always worried about his shot selection and passing interest in actually playing defense. It made me very hesitant to have him on the team. But, this summer, he showed that he really wants to elevate his game to the next level. His shot selection, handle and defense improved drastically.

He has turned himself into a player, that if he continues in this direction, will be a game changer.

With Whitehead, I always worried about his shot selection and passing interest in actually playing defense. It made me very hesitant to have him on the team. But, this summer, he showed that he really wants to elevate his game to the next level. His shot selection, handle and defense improved drastically.

He has turned himself into a player, that if he continues in this direction, will be a game changer.
Eh, it's a zone.

Whitey,

I understand what you mean, but a majority of players do not derive enjoyment from playing defense, yet it is a significant part of what it takes to become a great player. If you don't commit to playing defense, it doesn't matter what kind of defense you play, you aren't going to be good at it. And unless you are such a superior offensive weapon that a coach is willing to accept the defensive liability, you will find yourself sitting on the bench.

In my view, JB has placed more emphasis on defense in the past few years, and that, in large part, is why Syracuse has been consistently on an even higher level the past few years, than they were before.

We know that JB has been willing to over look defensive lapses in the past, but the offensive talent has to be transcendent. Whitehead might or might not be at that level, but it didn't stop him from sitting Waiters at times that irritated fans.

I'd rather a Whitehead with a commitment to playing defense at the top of the zone, than the alternative.