Q & A Chop Shop | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Q & A Chop Shop

Francis - Thanks for this thread. The whole recruiting process amazes me. I can't image being only 17 or 18 and having coaches, fans, and whole institutions laying out the red carpet for me.

So my question is this: Just how important is winning to these recruits? I get the impression that most recruits now a days would choose immediate playing time on a mid-level team rather than sitting for a year on a team that consistently wins.

Is there any truth to this, or am I way off base here?

Tobias Harris is a perfect example of what you're asking about.

Francis - Thanks for this thread. The whole recruiting process amazes me. I can't image being only 17 or 18 and having coaches, fans, and whole institutions laying out the red carpet for me.

So my question is this: Just how important is winning to these recruits? I get the impression that most recruits now a days would choose immediate playing time on a mid-level team rather than sitting for a year on a team that consistently wins.

Is there any truth to this, or am I way off base here?

IMHO the hierarchy of priority is something like this:

1. Does this school provide the best route to the NBA
2. Will I get immediate playing time and lots of it
3. Am I comfortable with the coach/ coaching staff/ future teammates
4. Prestige and visibility of the program. (Perennial high ranking & tourney success)
5. Will the team be a winner and potential to get a Chip while I'm there?
6. Will Coach Cal offer me mad stacks that I simply can't refuse. (this could easily toggle for position with #1.

IMHO the hierarchy of priority is something like this:

1. Does this school provide the best route to the NBA
2. Will I get immediate playing time and lots of it
3. Am I comfortable with the coach/ coaching staff/ future teammates
4. Prestige and visibility of the program. (Perennial high ranking & tourney success)
5. Will the team be a winner and potential to get a Chip while I'm there?
6. Will Coach Cal offer me mad stacks that I simply can't refuse. (this could easily toggle for position with #1.
Everybody has a price right?
Name your price.jpg

If his past radio appearances are any indication, he's just not that enthusiastic when he talks about the Orange. A little monotone, deadpan, lots of coach-speak. He seems to lack the enthusiasm and people skills that comes naturally to Mike. He's got a great pedigree, and I hope he is building his story telling skills, because he sure has some great ones to tell.
That's my concern with a big level recruitment like Jones. We know with UK in the mix that slick talking Cal and his assistants are the ultimate salesman, and we can only hope that GMac is up to the challenge. He beat out Xavier for Patterson, but now we're talking big boy league with Kentucky and Kansas for Jones.

So far 2015 studs Malachi Richardson and Derrick Jones said they're coming. I would expect McCullough to come through and show love most likely, along with possibly Whitehead, Newton, Joseph, Adams, Bryant, Crawford, Diagne, Yakwe, Diallo, Battle, Lydon, Turner, and just for a tease I wouldn't be shocked if Briscoe decides to come as well.

BRING ME CHUKWU

Francis, do you know what the structure is like at the Elite camp? Are they all the same throughout the country? Is ours unique in any manner?

Francis, do you know what the structure is like at the Elite camp? Are they all the same throughout the country? Is ours unique in any manner?
Nothing different than a usual b-ball camp. The staff works with the kids on different drills and then they scrimmage. For the most part it gives the staff an up close personal view of the players that they're recruiting and gives them an opportunity to showoff the Melo Center. The Melo Center alone should leave a great impression on the kids.

Now for my question.

Where do we stand in the recruitment for Malachi? Who is the top competition?

Now for my question.

Where do we stand in the recruitment for Malachi? Who is the top competition?
Frank Ocean I mean Tom Crean is the biggest comp for him. He loves SU and plans to visit this month. So hopefully we can create some distance from the other teams after the visit. He also talks up Ohio St and Yukon, but from everything that I know SU/IU are his main two.

Hey Francis, I was wondering why people think that it's either Whitehead and Newton or just Kaleb. Don't you think that there's still the likely possibility that Boeheim and his staff will try to sell Whithead and Kaleb to both come to Cuse and play together since they have been recruiting them the hardest?

Also, if we do move the court for the Duke game, where would the student section's location be in the dome? Better or worse than the current seating arrangements?

Hey Francis, I was wondering why people think that it's either Whitehead and Newton or just Kaleb. Don't you think that there's still the likely possibility that Boeheim and his staff will try to sell Whithead and Kaleb to both come to Cuse and play together since they have been recruiting them the hardest?

Also, if we do move the court for the Duke game, where would the student section's location be in the dome? Better or worse than the current seating arrangements?
1)Whitehead and Joseph both handle the rock a lot, and you add in Ennis who will be the main ball handler over the next several years. Newton is more of a combo who can play off the ball and matches up better with Whitehead, which is why both have expressed interest in playing together. Can the staff work on getting Whitehead and Joseph together? Sure, but it'll be a harder sell on Whitehead from what I know than it would be on Joseph.

2)Can't really say since I have no idea what the Dome officials are doing, but imho I have always wanted to see the student section near the vising team bench to wreck havoc on them. Similar to what we see go on at Duke, NC St, and Pitt with their student section.

Have you heard anything about how Cooney has looked this offseason in terms of improvement? I heard Dajuan has really made improvement, and I've heard good things about Tyler Ennis this offseason as well, and of course Cj improves every year. Are there any other players that you've heard or seen that have improved this summer?

Have you heard anything about how Cooney has looked this offseason in terms of improvement? I heard Dajuan has really made improvement, and I've heard good things about Tyler Ennis this offseason as well, and of course Cj improves every year. Are there any other players that you've heard or seen that have improved this summer?
I read that Cooney was suppose to play in a Philly tourney last month, but I never heard anything else after that about him actually playing in it. BJ Johnson and Buss Patterson are two players who seem to have been making a good impression since arriving on campus in tourneys and team workouts.

What is the story with Joseph: in a minor slump, not up to the competition, or too small a sample to be of concern?

I read that Cooney was suppose to play in a Philly tourney last month, but I never heard anything else after that about him actually playing in it. BJ Johnson and Buss Patterson are two players who seem to have been making a good impression since arriving on campus in tourneys and team workouts.
Do you think Ron and/or Bj can earn minutes this season?

Do you think Ron and/or Bj can earn minutes this season?
Total guess. TC is laying low and working hard. Core and leg strength and shooting 500+ shots a day with a shooting coach he trusts. He might also be working with a sports psychologist. He needs to be the BET Gtown Cooney. He has it in him.
I predict a HUGE on the court improvement.

What is the story with Joseph: in a minor slump, not up to the competition, or too small a sample to be of concern?
Can't confirm anything but like I mentioned with Tee in the Adidas Nation thread, I have to assume that he suffered an injury in his game Saturday night. He has only played 3-4 minutes in his last few games, which were blowouts. So you have to assume something happened to him for him not have play more in those games. He plays on loaded team and was basically a backup playing about 15 minutes per. He did get the start on Saturday night before having it cut short in 4 minutes, which I assume is when the injury occurred. He won plenty of games last month for his AAU team which had Goodluck on it against top competition. So I wouldn't be concern about him "not being up to the competition."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom