Q & A Chop Shop | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Q & A Chop Shop

Do you think Ron and/or Bj can earn minutes this season?
If Cooney continues to struggle with his shot, then yes imho I think Buss and BJ could get a chance to steal some minutes at the 2. Consistency will be key with all three.

Let me flip the script on you guys and ask a question. If you had to choose one between Joseph and Whitehead, who do you choose? The guard who will most likely be a 4yr program player that could be a star during his Jr/Sr season, or the projected pro who might not be around long but gives JB the chance to win his 2nd chip sooner?

Let me flip the script on you guys and ask a question. If you had to choose one between Joseph and Whitehead, who do you choose? The guard who will most likely be a 4yr program player that could be a star during his Jr/Sr season, or the projected pro who might not be around long but gives JB the chance to win his 2nd chip sooner?
Contingent on who we have coming back next year. But as is, I prefer another pure point guard. We have enough 2 guards and I think scoring.

Can I get back to you next April? If the Squid wins, then my answer will be, go for the one and dones.

Can I get back to you next April? If the Squid wins, then my answer will be, go for the one and dones.
you need to compile like 5-6 of them. Those kids are no Camarshmello Anthony.

you need to compile like 5-6 of them. Those kids are no Camarshmello Anthony.
You think Andrew Wiggy has that ability in him for Kansas this season?

You think Andrew Wiggy has that ability in him for Kansas this season?
no sir. He can't dominate the ball like melo, durant or lebron. He doesn't have good enough handle to seriously dominate. I look at him like a more athletic michael kidd gilchrist.

no sir. He can't dominate the ball like melo, durant or lebron. He doesn't have good enough handle to seriously dominate. I look at him like a more athletic michael kidd gilchrist.
with that said 16 and 8 wouldn't surprise me with him. But I cant see him taking over like those guys can... not yet.

with that said 16 and 8 wouldn't surprise me with him. But I cant see him taking over like those guys can... not yet.
I like Kansas young core but I think their lack of a good true PG will hurt them and also outside of Wiggy, Selden, Ellis, Embid, I'm not sure if they have enough quality depth behind those guys if a few players have an off night in the tourney. Would've been crazy if Randle committed to Kansas instead of UK.

I like Kansas young core but I think their lack of a good true PG will hurt them and also outside of Wiggy, Selden, Ellis, Embid, I'm not sure if they have enough quality depth behind those guys if a few players have an off night in the tourney. Would've been crazy if Randle committed to Kansas instead of UK.
Oh they definitely have some solid pieces. But i do think they are too young to be a serious contender. Buss > Selden... I've SEEN IT! I think Embiid will have some serious growing pains (esp against teams outside the big 12), he's skinny and raw, good defensively though.

I would take Whitehead without question, I not only think he could compliment Ennis, but also be used as a PG if needed, he still has a year to grow which he has shown he can do after having a real nice summer. Also I think he gets a lot of unfair hate on this board because he's a city kid from Lincoln and therefore is like past recruits who cuse has been spurned by.

Really tough question, but contingent on too many variables in our system now. As much as I like KJs game, slight nod to Whitehead as his scoring potential is just too good to pass up. That said, I'm happy with either and obviously both.

PG first for this particular class its he biggest need other situations I may pick differently but its not like teh cupbord is bare at the 2G next season. BJ, Buss, Cooney and MikeG could all still be around.

PG first for this particular class its he biggest need other situations I may pick differently but its not like teh cupbord is bare at the 2G next season. BJ, Buss, Cooney and MikeG could all still be around.
While I agree that PG is important for 2014, I have a feeling Ennis will be around for two. With that, either of the three prospects (KJ, Whitehead, Newton) can back up the 1. That gives Whitehead the opportunity to play either position. Again, I like what all three of these guys bring to the table, so this is just strengthening us for another big run.

Whitehead, no hesitation.

Im going with KJ. Mainly because I love the program type who in turn love SU. Also because we do need the extra ball handling help whether Ennis is here for 2 or more. I believe Whitehead would be great for the yr or 2 here, but also feel in could effect any progress we could have with our already deep 2 guard spot right now. We should just get both and see what happens!

While I agree that PG is important for 2014, I have a feeling Ennis will be around for two. With that, either of the three prospects (KJ, Whitehead, Newton) can back up the 1. That gives Whitehead the opportunity to play either position. Again, I like what all three of these guys bring to the table, so this is just strengthening us for another big run.
Why does everyone assume Ennis is gone after 1 or 2 years. Most people who leave early for the NBA draft do so because they either have academic/financial problems, or are athletically superior to the competition. Ennis is very skilled, but he doesn't have, and never will have, the athleticism needed to be a lottery pick. Who is the last player you know that left early for the NBA that didn't have elite athleticism, but still was a top 15-20 pick.

Don't get me wrong, Ennis is going to be a stud in college and probably a very good pro, but that will be because he is a great game manager, team leader, and true point guard, not because he can get to the rack and finish like Dion. And from my experience these last few years, the NBA doesn't draft many 20 year old game managers with sub-par NBA athleticism. Think of Khaliff Wyatt from Temple. Dude could score against anyone, extremely smart and talented, but limited athletically. He killed everyone he went up against in college, but still couldnt get drafted. The NBA reaches based off of potential and athleticism, and that hurts Ennis' draft prospects, thus giving him a reason to stay 3-4 years at Syracuse

I didn't mean just two, I meant 2+ which was fairly implicit from the context. What I should have said is that I don't think he's leaving after his freshman year.

I didn't mean just two, I meant 2+ which was fairly implicit from the context. What I should have said is that I don't think he's leaving after his freshman year.
Post wasn't directed explicitly at you, as I have seen many people say he's done after 1 or 2

Great answers guys. I enjoy reading the difference of opinions. We all know that no matter who we get, it's going to be a very good player that will help us win a lot of games.:)

No question, Whitehead

Why does everyone assume Ennis is gone after 1 or 2 years. Most people who leave early for the NBA draft do so because they either have academic/financial problems, or are athletically superior to the competition. Ennis is very skilled, but he doesn't have, and never will have, the athleticism needed to be a lottery pick. Who is the last player you know that left early for the NBA that didn't have elite athleticism, but still was a top 15-20 pick.

Don't get me wrong, Ennis is going to be a stud in college and probably a very good pro, but that will be because he is a great game manager, team leader, and true point guard, not because he can get to the rack and finish like Dion. And from my experience these last few years, the NBA doesn't draft many 20 year old game managers with sub-par NBA athleticism. Think of Khaliff Wyatt from Temple. Dude could score against anyone, extremely smart and talented, but limited athletically. He killed everyone he went up against in college, but still couldnt get drafted. The NBA reaches based off of potential and athleticism, and that hurts Ennis' draft prospects, thus giving him a reason to stay 3-4 years at Syracuse
Trey Burke