Class of 2024 - QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma

Wrong that more kids get a free college education?

How so? You’re not getting the cream of the crop to do this. These are fringe P5 guys who might see the field in 3 years
Wrong because it’s outside of the “rules” inasmuch as there are any rules these days.

Wrong because it’s outside of the “rules” inasmuch as there are any rules these days.
It’s not outside the rules though. Walk ons were allowed to get academic scholarships before NIL (our Ray Guy award winning kicker did that his freshman year). NIL just pushes the burden onto boosters

Is Venables going to run a 2 QB system or is the other guy going to continue his verbal commitment tour.
Lol I like the verbal commitment tour reference, though Bass was recruited to OU as a RB/Athlete. Best part is OU has a 4 star QB already committed, so our "commitment tour friend" may end up continuing on at some point before signing.

Walk-ons are not scholarship players.
Exactly, they’re walk ons, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get academic scholarships. College is expensive, if the kid wants to play football for their dream school they shouldn’t be bared from doing so because some kaurmudgened thinks it’s unfair that academic aid can be given to STUDENT athletes.

Exactly, they’re walk ons, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get academic scholarships. College is expensive, if the kid wants to play football for their dream school they shouldn’t be bared from doing so because some kaurmudgened thinks it’s unfair that academic aid can be given to STUDENT athletes.
Surely you don’t believe a university should have unlimited ability to give scholarships to student athletes and disguise them as “academic” scholarships. How about jobs for student athletes’ parents? You know a nice cushy 6-figure job if Johnny plays for Ole State U? How about “academic” scholarships for girlfriends? Cars? I mean a student athlete has to have a way to get around, right?

This is a strange hill to die on.

Surely you don’t believe a university should have unlimited ability to give scholarships to student athletes and disguise them as “academic” scholarships. How about jobs for student athletes’ parents? You know a nice cushy 6-figure job if Johnny plays for Ole State U? How about “academic” scholarships for girlfriends? Cars? I mean a student athlete has to have a way to get around, right?

This is a strange hill to die on.
I agree it is a strange hill to die on, for you. If you can qualify for them then they deserve them. You’re not getting Marvin Harrison jr. to come in and get only academic money, but if a fringe P5 kid wants to take that route to ride the pine at Oklahoma, so be it. Idk why anyone cares, every school has done this for years (and every school CAN do it if they’d like) what do you think preferred walk ons are? Like Jfc people get all twisted into knots over everything now a days. This kid wont see playing time at OK nor would here at Syracuse so good for him that he gets to live out his dream of being in an Oklahoma uniform.

Your strawman argument doesn’t make the point you think it does by the way, your academic scholarship cannot pay for anything outside of school, parents HAVE been hired as coaches (it happened here with Coach Martin) and I’m sure gfs have been given preferred scholarships. That’s not a “where does it end” argument. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the argument at hand. what it sounds like to me is you are calling for walk on spots to be eliminated, call it like it is.

Last edited:
I agree it is a strange hill to die on, for you. If you can qualify for them then they deserve them. You’re not getting Marvin Harrison jr. to come in and get only academic money, but if a fringe P5 kid wants to take that route to ride the pine at Oklahoma, so be it. Idk why anyone cares, every school has done this for years (and every school CAN do it if they’d like) what do you think preferred walk ons are? Like Jfc people get all twisted into knots over everything now a days. This kid wont see playing time at OK nor would here at Syracuse so good for him that he gets to live out his dream of being in an Oklahoma uniform.

Your strawman argument doesn’t make the point you think it does by the way, your academic scholarship cannot pay for anything outside of school, parents HAVE been hired as coaches (it happened here with Coach Martin) and I’m sure gfs have been given preferred scholarships. That’s not a “where does it end” argument. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the argument at hand. what it sounds like to me is you are calling for walk on spots to be eliminated, call it like it is.
D8A5F0AC-158D-4AA0-B0F8-2F0C4EA5E827.gif

So walks ons have always been cheating?
No just those who have their tuition and board paid for them by anyone but themselves or parents. Such as NIL which is by definition an illegal entitlement by NCAA rules. We shall see if the NCAA actually enforces their own rules.

No just those who have their tuition and board paid for them by anyone but themselves or parents. Such as NIL which is by definition an illegal entitlement by NCAA rules. We shall see if the NCAA actually enforces their own rules.
Good thing we’re talking about academic scholarships

Are we really?
Yes, and even if we weren’t, NIL pays an individual for their name image and likeness, the use of those funds is their prerogative.

Technically it’s not supposed to be used as a recruiting inducement and there’s really no way you can deny that’s what happened here.
Yeah, and NIL for walk on is a little weird. Most of the time most of the names of walk ons aren't even known by most fans unless they earn a scholarship. How much could their NIL really be worth? However, given the schools that were offering him, an academic scholarship seems completely appropriate here.

Technically it’s not supposed to be used as a recruiting inducement and there’s really no way you can deny that’s what happened here.
In the real world though, where these negotiations occur in real-time, there is nothing blatantly wrong occurring. This focus on tearing down people's chance at living out their dreams is a really bad look, all in the name of making ourselves feel better that the school lost a future bench warmer

In the real world though, where these negotiations occur in real-time, there is nothing blatantly wrong occurring. This focus on tearing down people's chance at living out their dreams is a really bad look, all in the name of making ourselves feel better that the school lost a future bench warmer
I’m not tearing down his dream or whatever, I’m happy he was able to go to OU if that’s what he wants to do. But that doesn’t change the fact that NiL was used by OU in a way it’s not supposed to be used. You’re not supposed to use it as part of recruiting pitch.

I’m not tearing down his dream or whatever, I’m happy he was able to go to OU if that’s what he wants to do. But that doesn’t change the fact that NiL was used by OU in a way it’s not supposed to be used. You’re not supposed to use it as part of recruiting pitch.
Unless i am missing something the NIL for walk ons was at BYU...

Unless i am missing something the NIL for walk ons was at BYU...
Andy Bass was supposedly getting NIL as a walk-on at OU and even if it didn’t work out that way he was talking about it as a possibility a month ago. So it was clearly discussed with him as a recruit.

From OU Rivals re: Oklahoma’s offer - “As far scholarship and school being paid for, my whole school will get paid for through NIL. So I wouldn’t have to worry about that. It’s basically a scholarship without the label…” the OU offer is a PWO, same as Kansas St.

Who in their right mind is paying a walk-on promotional money based on merit?

Last edited:
You have no clue what their academic history was/is.
Lol, you think all the walk ons have better academic credentials than the other students.

Lol, you think all the walk ons have better academic credentials than the other students.
You know they dont? You're judging these guys based on nothing else than the fact that they play football. All football players have to be dumb? None of them could possibly qualify for scholarships? Plenty of which can be gotten by anyone with half a brain? These kids aren't exactly contending to get into Duke or Stanford here.

Idk if things have changed since I graduated 8 years ago but my average GPA and average extracurriculars got me some serious scholarship money, some were essentially full tuition (not including room and board). We wont even talk about the subjectivity that comes into consideration when handing out academic scholarships (a 3.7 from a student who does nothing outside of classes does not earn a scholarship over a 3 time varsity letter winner with a 3.5). I am not sure how this is even an argument, I think we have all met enough guys who walk on to sports teams to recognize they aren't meat head idiots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom