QB Breakdown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB Breakdown

The cheapshot that started it all from the Central Michigan kid could’ve happened to anybody though. It’s not like he was being reckless or it was caused by all the pounding.

I think there were times were he would have been better served with a few slides here and there instead of karate kicking defenders. Going for a first down is thing. Going for an extra 3 yards after a gain of 20 is another

The cheapshot that started it all from the Central Michigan kid could’ve happened to anybody though. It’s not like he was being reckless or it was caused by all the pounding.
One of the most impressive things Eric ever did was take and give out the beating he did over the FSU, UM, NC State road trip his junior year.

idc who you are, any other qb is out for the year and some

Crazy how quickly people forget what Tommy can do with a good OL
I'm sure the coaches are in his ear not to run or make sure you are super super careful as we don't have much at back up at this point
Better OL and these conversations don't happen

Crazy how quickly people forget what Tommy can do with a good OL
I'm sure the coaches are in his ear not to run or make sure you are super super careful as we don't have much at back up at this point
Better OL and these conversations don't happen
Forget? We haven't seen it yet.

I think you are right in the main, but it is a hypothetical.

This certainly puts things on perspective a bit. TD is a talent and lacks the awareness and gamesmanship the ED had. What’s frustrating about him is he really has the ability to run. He has good mobility and speed. Take a page from shaken Hurts, kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield. It’s okay to run.

There's a part of your analysis missing. 2016 Dungey would run through a brick wall head first for first down. TD actually backs away from open space to throw it away. You can have your stats. Dungey was a gamer. Book is still out on TD. I'm not throwing this kid away but he lacks the intangibles that Dungey had in his sophomore year. I have yet to see anything that makes me think TD will put this team on his back and carry it to victory the way Dungey could.
Almost everyone lacks the intangibles that Eric had (has).

Did you miss the FSU and UNC game, he played well in those games. So yes forget.
I mean the main purpose of a board is talk hypothetical I thought?

Agreed. Nassib showed he had talent right from his first year. He had some great games and great moments as a soph/junior, but the offense often sputtered too. He was on a whole different level as a senior.

I personally thought DeVito would be further along than he has shown to be so far, but he still has a very high ceiling IMO.
Yeah it’s amazing that Nassib’s improvement was in perfect parallel with his OL improvement (demonstrated by a more effective running game also)

I mean even his senior year he played better after Pugh came back

Exactly, one of my big things that everyone takes as negativity. We know he has a strong arm and can throw the ball, that doesn’t make him a good QB. The other intangibles required we haven’t seen enough to know if he has those. It actually doesn’t matter if it’s because of the OL, the fact still remains, it’s still hypothetical at this point that he’s going to be a great QB. I’ve referenced numerous times, he might just be Jay cutler. We don’t know.

I didn't say he can't win a football game. I said he doesn't have the ability, currently, to put the team on his shoulders and will them to a victory the way Eric could. Eric Dungey 2016 wins last Thursday.

And if you are referring to the victories last year. It's much easier to come into a game when the opposing team has spent the entire week scouting Dungey and then bam it's Devito. Not the same game for him this year when defenses are preparing for him.
Scouting Devito all week and then bam it’s Welch!

Scouting Devito all week and then bam it’s Welch!
Well I think it would be more like a scout Devito and then Amie but alas we will never know. I’ll also add that TD is a better passer than Eric so that’s why he was able to catch a defense off guard. They were completely different. I’m not sure Welch is batter than TD at anything so you’re not switching things up, just losing skill.

Aaaaaaaaaaand there it is.
Be very clear. Shafer recruited leaders, not all of them could play P5 level ball, I understand that. This isn’t a Dino v Shafer statement. Leadership is lacking right now though. That falls on Dino and player development.

Be very clear. Shafer recruited leaders, not all of them could play P5 level ball, I understand that. This isn’t a Dino v Shafer statement. Leadership is lacking right now though. That falls on Dino and player development.
I will be very clear.

Shafer was a bad head coach.

I don't believe you that you're not making a Dino v Shafer statement.

I think TD eventually will be very good.

But stats be damned, a RS Tommy DeVito is a huge step down from a SR Eric Dungey.

There can’t really be any doubt about that at this point, can there?

I think TD eventually will be very good.

But stats be damned, a RS Tommy DeVito is a huge step down from a SR Eric Dungey.

There can’t really be any doubt about that at this point, can there?

Conway, Roberts, and Martin wave from across the way with their diplomas.