QB Breakdown | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

QB Breakdown

He may not have lost his job but he clearly got pulled in some games for being ineffective. And TD had to come in and win those games for us or that magically 10 win season never would have happened.

Some games. Hmmn.

From what I recall, Eric got pulled vs FSU because he was down to one eye. One that he could see out of, anyway.

He clearly got pulled vs UNC for ineffectiveness.

Tommy did a good job in both cases.

I strongly doubt Dino ever wondered who his starting QB was. His choices bear that out.

Sure. I’m really glad both guys were available last year. And the 3 OL that graduated too.

The O misses those 3 guys way more than they miss ED (and he was pretty good last year, I’m no hater)

To be consistent, you've been very pro- TD for awhile. And there is nothing wrong with that. We should all be. Many times last year you would say "wait until next year" based on having a more pure pocket passer being better "fit" for our offense. It hasn't consistently happened (yet), and we can explain some of those reasons (OL being the huge one).

To be consistent, you've been very pro- TD for awhile. And there is nothing wrong with that. We should all be. Many times last year you would say "wait until next year" based on having a more pure pocket passer being better "fit" for our offense. It hasn't consistently happened (yet), and we can explain some of those reasons (OL being the huge one).

Agreed. I'd hoped it would have taken off and predicted it would. I thought TD's passing would open up the run. Not so much. TD's panicking in the face of pressure *this much* wasn't on my radar either.

I'm prepared for Friday to get messy - Pitt brings tons of pressure. Depressing.

And in spite of all that, kid has thrown some really amazing passes.

Agreed. I'd hoped it would have taken off and predicted it would. I thought TD's passing would open up the run. Not so much. TD's panicking in the face of pressure *this much* wasn't on my radar either.

I'm prepared for Friday to get messy - Pitt brings tons of pressure. Depressing.

And in spite of all that, kid has thrown some really amazing passes.
You've given me hope by posting those rankings earlier. Pitt's offense at 112 in our house is a recipe for a win. We just need to protect the ball. Spit on Pitt!

So coaches can't tell a player to be careful? Interesting...
So if Tommy has a rib injury like most players the coaches can't tell him to be careful and need to get a different job? That is one delicious hot take, thanks!
So black and white. No room for nuance?

Thanks for labeling my thoughts a hot take. But I'm not making jokes.

Do you really have to tell a player at this level to be careful? Does GGG's trainer tell him to protect himself at all times? Why does the ref always say it at the beginning of a fight?

Point being, there is tension between playing to win and playing in a way that minimizes the chance of injury. You have to walk a line somewhere in between. Each player has a different line, a different level of risk they are willing to accept. I see a coach as having a role as an observer that should be biased toward winning, pushing the risk level toward the line of recklessness but not past it.

So black and white. No room for nuance?

Thanks for labeling my thoughts a hot take. But I'm not making jokes.

Do you really have to tell a player at this level to be careful? Does GGG's trainer tell him to protect himself at all times? Why does the ref always say it at the beginning of a fight?

Point being, there is tension between playing to win and playing in a way that minimizes the chance of injury. You have to walk a line somewhere in between. Each player has a different line, a different level of risk they are willing to accept. I see a coach as having a role as an observer that should be biased toward winning, pushing the risk level toward the line of recklessness but not past it.

You said the words and made it pretty black and white.
You are welcome for the hot take comment, I do enjoy the amazing H0T Takes we get.
Yes you really do have to tell some players to be careful or hell maybe the coach is just looking out for the well being of a kid.
I don’t know what a GGG is or who it’s trainer is so can’t answer that.
Are you comparing football to fighting???
I get that the coaches job is to win games but if they keep recklessly sending kids out and ruining their future lives it will have a negative impact on the program as well.
Nothing wrong with a coach having concern for the player(s) especially one that really doesn’t have a good backup.

You said the words and made it pretty black and white.
You are welcome for the hot take comment, I do enjoy the amazing H0T Takes we get.
Yes you really do have to tell some players to be careful or hell maybe the coach is just looking out for the well being of a kid.
I don’t know what a GGG is or who it’s trainer is so can’t answer that.
Are you comparing football to fighting???
I get that the coaches job is to win games but if they keep recklessly sending kids out and ruining their future lives it will have a negative impact on the program as well.
Nothing wrong with a coach having concern for the player(s) especially one that really doesn’t have a good backup.
I think I made a nuanced argument that you rehashed in an absolute way.
I'm glad you're amused. I'm just here to have a good time too.
GGG is a reference to Gennady Golovkin, middleweight champion.
Yes, I'm comparing football to fighting. Specifically the mindset needed to win at a high level in either sport is very similar, if not identical.
Coach comes from the Hungarian 'kocsi szeter' adapted to French as 'coche' and later bastardized in English to 'coach' as a slang term for a tutor. So, a coaches job is literally to carry another on a path. Reckless endangerment of the subject is quite evidently self-defeating. My earlier point was not that the coaches should seek to endanger their players, but rather the players are sufficiently endangered by the nature of the game.

I don't care what you believe. You can believe I started the Great Chicago Fire but that doesn't necessarily make it so. I was definitely implying that Dino might take a lesson in recruiting from Shafer. No Shafer was not a good coach, but your assertion that everything the man touched was manure is silly. He did bring in some very talented players and leaders as well. Dino has brought talent as well, but we are lacking leadership that we weren't before. Why is that?

If I gain nothing else from this crazy a$$ thread, I at least now know who started that Chicago fire.

Just rewatched highlights of last year's NC St thriller. Seems like forever.

Tommy will get incrementally better as the line matures, but so much of what made last year's offense click was that Eric knew how to make something out of nothing. Right now if nothing is there, we're definitely getting nothing or worse. And even when we have something, we're often finding a way to turn it into nothing.

Yes I expect the 2020 line to be somewhat better. But we need a QB who doesn't rely on everyone else doing their part to get positive yardage. We'll never have that kind of talent unless we start recruiting above our paygrade.

If I gain nothing else from this crazy a$$ thread, I at least now know who started that Chicago fire.
#freemrsolearyscow
#fakenews

Just rewatched highlights of last year's NC St thriller. Seems like forever.

Tommy will get incrementally better as the line matures, but so much of what made last year's offense click was that Eric knew how to make something out of nothing. Right now if nothing is there, we're definitely getting nothing or worse. And even when we have something, we're often finding a way to turn it into nothing.

Yes I expect the 2020 line to be somewhat better. But we need a QB who doesn't rely on everyone else doing their part to get positive yardage. We'll never have that kind of talent unless we start recruiting above our paygrade.

it’s going to take a more experienced OL, better blitz pickup, and a more experienced QB