Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

Do we feel good here? I have to believe he's going to the place where he sees the field the quickest but when you drill down these 3 choices it's a toss up across the board I think.

Kansas has 8 QBs on the roster but their starter and backup both graduate. #3 returns but only played in 2 games.

Vandy has 4 on the roster and the starter is gone.

Syracuse has 3 on the roster but returns the starter.

Kansas and Vandy have less competition for the job. Vandy is terrible and will remain terrible as the SEC doormat. They do play in a southern conference so he's closer to home.

He can start at Kansas for a great coach in Les Miles but they're also terrible with not a lot of upward mobility. They mostly got blasted this season.

Syracuse, he might be the backup for 2 years. Plays in a Dome, plays in a southern conference so he can play back down south a few times a year. Future success is more positive imo because the teams are all about even. You can finish 2nd or last. He will throw a 50x more passes in this offense though.

Last edited:
Do we feel good here? I have to believe he's going to the place where he sees the field the quickest but when you drill down these 3 choices it's a toss up across the board I think.

Kansas has 8 QBs on the roster but their starter and backup both graduate. #3 returns but only played in 2 games.

Kansas and Vandy have less competition for the job. Vandy is terrible and will remain terrible as the SEC doormat. They do play in a southern conference so he's closer to home.
He can start at Kansas for a great coach in Les Miles but they're also terrible with not a lot of upward mobility. They mostly got blasted this season.

Syracuse, he might be the backup for 2 years. Plays in a Dome, plays in a southern conference so he can play back down south a few times a year. Future success is more positive imo because the teams are all about even. You can finish 2nd or last. He will throw a 50x more passes in this offense though.

I don't feel good about this, based upon DeVito -- presumably, this kid is going somewhere with a clear path to start.

That is not based upon any inside info, just gut feel. I think this kid is a very important recruit for us to add.

I don't feel good about this, based upon DeVito -- presumably, this kid is going somewhere with a clear path to start.

That is not based upon any inside info, just gut feel. I think this kid is a very important recruit for us to add.

That's my gut feel as well.

Agreed, I am not sure why he would want to transfer here either. Other than DeVito had a tough time staying healthy this year but that was because he took a beating. Love to add the kid but really doesn't make a ton of sense if you are looking for immediate PT

Hey look it, if "he comes" and given a (fair) opportunity to compete with DeVito and can beat him out, I'm all for it. My main point is to put the best players out there that will give us the best chance to win. I would express this to him that he will have that opportunity. If TD can't handle it oh well.

And much do we know how healthy TD is with his shoulder and his ankle.

Miles’ track record with quarterbacks (and his willingness to adjust his system) is a disaster. No way he should be considering Kansas. He might have a legit chance to drive change/success at Vandy without sitting.

The fact that TD got meaningful time as a RSF in a way that almost unseated EFD from his starting spot, has to help.. no?

Dino has showed he will play the guy he thinks can win him the game

This is a wild card. I see why he would not want to come here. He may have received promises from Kansas or Vandy that he will start. Who knows.

I hope we get this, but felt like Vandy to me since I read that original article in October. 4.0 student in HS who wanted to go there for academics. Now he can go there and most likely walk into a starting QB role.

Does he have 3 years or 2 years of eligibility? DeVito has 2 left.

I'm probably going to be wrong but I think it's between Vandy and Syracuse.
Just from what I have read I don't get the impression that he is a kid who is afraid of competition. He was able to win the starting spot at UNC before he was injured. Also I think leaving UNC had more to do with the coaching change than competition.

Is there a timeline for when he is going to decide? ( sorry if its already been stated and I just missed it)

Make good choice(s) Cade!

Is there a timeline for when he is going to decide? ( sorry if its already been stated and I just missed it)

Make good choice(s) Cade!
Early signing is next week. He is a December grad and plans on enrolling early.

I agree that's it's going to come down to Vandy or SU.
I think he really likes the idea of playing in the dome and will pick Cuse.
Who they heck wants to get eaten alive by the SEC big dogs for 3 years.

I'm probably going to be wrong but I think it's between Vandy and Syracuse.
Just from what I have read I don't get the impression that he is a kid who is afraid of competition. He was able to win the starting spot at UNC before he was injured. Also I think leaving UNC had more to do with the coaching change than competition.

I hope you're right -- that would give us our best shot [in my opinion].

Really want someone to push DeVito for a starting role.

Im sure Dino told him he has a great chance to start as well.

I agree, and while Dino has defended Tommy in general, I am sure he sees the things we see that are a problem and might not be able to be fixed (ie the intangibles that go into making a great QB)

All depends on the message the coaches gave him and his parents when he was here and whether they walked away believing that message. If Dino looked the player and parents in the eye and said the young man will be given every chance to earn the starting nod and they believe him then I think we have a good shot. Especially if he is an early enrollee. Here is hoping for active competition at the QB position next year. If Fortin shows we win either way. He either pushes TD to greater performance or he earns the nod. I like it either outcomes.