Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

The other thing is like any QB is that he is only one hit "or step on" from being side lined. He or TD would be able to take over with confidence from all, or at least most all. Also look what happened when ED wasn't getting anything done in that UNC game and we put TD in to lets just say he energized the team and game.

He's not going to transfer to a school where he as to dethrone the entrenched starter. Thats my hot take.
I'm sure staffs are telling these kids all jobs are open and YOU will have a shot to start regardless of how entrenched the starter seems to be. These kids are choosing to bet on themselves when they enter into a situation like that. They have to trust the staff AND they have to trust in their own ability.

I'm not sure I would want a kid who 1) Didn't believe he could beat out whoever he needed to beat out; 2)Needed a guarantee that he would be the starter.

I'm sure staffs are telling these kids all jobs are open and YOU will have a shot to start regardless of how entrenched the starter seems to be. These kids are choosing to bet on themselves when they enter into a situation like that. They have to trust the staff AND they have to trust in their own ability.

I'm not sure I would want a kid who 1) Didn't believe he could beat out whoever he needed to beat out; 2)Needed a guarantee that he would be the starter.

I know it didn't happen from Day 1, but it happened at Clemson and Alabama just last year. I'm not saying Cade is Trevor or Tua, but they weren't afraid of the competition even as true freshmen with very much established QBs at their respective programs. So I would hope someone like Cade wouldn't let TD (no disrespect) "scare" him either.

I agree, and while Dino has defended Tommy in general, I am sure he sees the things we see that are a problem and might not be able to be fixed (ie the intangibles that go into making a great QB)
Exactly

1576623189264.png

Well... everyone who had concerns about us not going harder after more QB’s for awhile now, this is why people were worried.

yeah, the eggs in one or two baskets thing is, shall we say, crap. doubt a good grad transfer will want to come here, any good JUCO kids out there?? sighhhh

one of these years we will actually have a good plan at QB, having Rex or Summers as the backup to TD is a nightmare

I’m not sure what Dino has as a backup plan. But Culpepper and Summers won’t cut it as backups. I’ll hold off until this plays out, but the one position where you figured Dino might excel at as a recruiter may ultimately be his downfall. I’m also wondering how we continue to recruit quality receivers with a thin QB group and a bad offensive line.

Just announced he is transferring.. to USF! what??
They weren’t even supposed to be under consideration. Weird.

I guess proximity and playing time become increasingly important to kids who have had to wait to play and don’t want to wait any longer. Good luck to him there. The world needs ditch diggers too.

yeah, the eggs in one or two baskets thing is, shall we say, crap. doubt a good grad transfer will want to come here, any good JUCO kids out there?? sighhhh

It’s weird because we throw out a ton of offers but the offers seem to be very lopsided. Why aren’t we going hard for multiple QB’s every year. Hopefully we end up ok when all is said and done but it could go either way and that’s just not good.

I’m not sure what Dino has as a backup plan. But Culpepper and Summers won’t cut it as backups. I’ll hold off until this plays out, but the one position where you figured Dino might excel as a recruiter may ultimately be his downfall. I’m also wondering how we continue to recruit quality receivers with a thin QB group and a bad offensive line.

“bad” OL was so 5 games ago, we’re “improving” now

and in all seriousness, this is probably a “play now in a lesser conf” decision than “maybe beat out a starter in the ACC” decision

This recruiting offseason has reminded me of the last 1-2 years of the Pasqualoni era. Recruiting was not good enough and other NE schools were resetting with new coaching staffs that could recruit. Ugh.

Also, what was that about the impact of relationships with regards to Ndukwe? It took 10 minutes from a new group of 5 coaching staff to convince Fortin.

and in all seriousness, this is probably a “play now in a lesser conf” decision than “maybe beat out a starter in the ACC” decision

That’s one way to spin this but you’re spinning and missing the actual issue by trying to cover for the staff. The issue is that he was the guy we needed and ultimately lost, nobody cares where he went to per say. The problem is we have failed to recruit hard, a position of need for at least this year.

The OL was much improved but also against sub par defenses. We don’t know yet if it’s actually fixed. We’re talking about it being fixed the way people talked about us winning 8-9 games minimum. It’s still a big unknown at this point.

Oh, no question. He wants to play right away. That’s why I was surprised when many said he would choose SU. But it doesn’t remedy our situation at QB. We need someone of quality who can be ready to back up TD next year. I’ll just pray that he doesn’t get injured.

We have no clue how good Summers is. Maybe he will be better in year 2 and get some action.

This kid wasn’t coming here to be a backup. If he came here DeVito could have been broken.
We need a freshman recruit who can develop and see PT in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom