QB coach Martin | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QB coach Martin

These threads make me think of this wonderful book.

770761._UY400_SS400_.jpg
I hope part of the fan experience improvements is to sell delicious Nanacrumbles

The only time you will see my cellophane exposed buttocks will be
during the time I enter and exit the axena and during behind the
back passes and 3 point buzzer shots.

In essence my backside is cut out with cellophane over it. I have
seen cowboys with this look in line dancing so it's not too bad.

Yeah, I think we tried. Came out in a weird formation and then switched to a more standard set to make the lane for the quick pass to Riley.

Which was probably intended to be an easy ball for DeVito, and Riley promptly let it go right through his hands.

Yep, pass wasn't ideal and a little high for a short player, but it would have been cool of Riley could have helped his QB out.
Hopefully, in game #3 we will have enhanced communication between the QB and his WR's. That is vital in this game and moving forward.

Hopefully, in game #3 we will have enhanced communication between the QB and his WR's. That is vital in this game and moving forward.
Dropsies and miscommunication can be corrected. What's disturbing is that WRs were allegedly quitting on their routes when Tommy had to scramble. What?

Dropsies and miscommunication can be corrected. What's disturbing is that WRs were allegedly quitting on their routes when Tommy had to scramble. What?

We have gone from a young rising QB coach who was also an excellent recruiter now head coach at Kent State to a former HS coach from Texas who is Dinos daughters Father in law.
During his time we have had Chance transfer and missed out on every one of our top QB targets. Tommy looks unprepared. Does Martin have the chops to coach the most important position on our team?
Our WRs don’t go into a huddle and hear run a 10 yard speed out ... they go to the line see the call and than have multiple options based on THERE reads . It’s up to them and the wr coach to work on that not the Qb coach .

Our WRs don’t go into a huddle and hear run a 10 yard speed out ... they go to the line see the call and than have multiple options based on THERE reads . It’s up to them and the wr coach to work on that not the Qb coach .
100%. Question. What is the role of a QB coach, how can they improve a players performance?

There was clearly a WR issue. After one specific series you can clearly see Dino mouth "I know" while shaking his head up and down to Tommy, then quickly scoop up 3 WR's with his arms around 2 of them and a long conversation was had.

There was clearly a WR issue. After one specific series you can clearly see Dino mouth "I know" while shaking his head up and down to Tommy, then quickly scoop up 3 WR's with his arms around 2 of them and a long conversation was had.
Sounds like the WR coach is on the hot seat based on weeks 1 and 2.

100%. Question. What is the role of a QB coach, how can they improve a players performance?
spot mechanical issues,

help if he is missing reads, spot mechanical issues , I can assure you tommy is as prepared as they come, its a lot to over come but its improving maybe not this week but should get better and better. Im not throwing his team under the bus this is just a hypothetical with Tommys skill set how you think he would do if he was playing at Bama? or how tua look if he played for cuse the past 2 games ? Tommy certainly has to get better with his run or throw decisions and he will.
coaches do there jobs they cant play for the player ! it will get better fast just need a little more time in the pocket

Changing up the route of the receiver, during a QB scramble, is both a coaching responsibility and a player responsibility. I hope this is an element that has been worked on this week, during practice and other planning meetings. Until our OL provides consistent protection for our QB, this will be an ongoing issue.

Changing up the route of the receiver, during a QB scramble, is both a coaching responsibility and a player responsibility. I hope this is an element that has been worked on this week, during practice and other planning meetings. Until our OL provides consistent protection for our QB, this will be an ongoing issue.
What I meant is the receivers were giving up on the play. You don't need a coach or practice to tell you not to quit. What's worse is these are mostly the same receivers from a year ago.

spot mechanical issues,

help if he is missing reads, spot mechanical issues , I can assure you tommy is as prepared as they come, its a lot to over come but its improving maybe not this week but should get better and better. Im not throwing his team under the bus this is just a hypothetical with Tommys skill set how you think he would do if he was playing at Bama? or how tua look if he played for cuse the past 2 games ? Tommy certainly has to get better with his run or throw decisions and he will.

coaches do there jobs they cant play for the player ! it will get better fast just need a little more time in the pocket
He made a couple mistakes .. ball security being the one I remember. But as the Bailey article explained, more often it was PP problems, or our WR's failing to make reads, stepping out of bounds or quitting on scrambles. I don't even like this thread - we should be talking about why our DL and two senior LB's were totally unprepared for this game.

Last edited:
What I meant is the receivers were giving up on the play. You don't need a coach or practice to tell you not to quit. What's worse is these are mostly the same receivers from a year ago.
I agree with your point here; we also witnessed the D giving up, in later stages of the game, as well. Players giving up is never a good sign. Those players need to change or be replaced by ones who will not give up on plays, IMO!

Nepotism is when you give an incompetent relation a job or they would be on skid row. Not when you hire an in-law that is one of the hottest coaching prospects in the state of Texas who led his team to an undefeated championship season in one of the most competitive large school leagues in all of high school football. I would also think Dino is a sharp enough guy to have thought thru all the conflicts and issues that might arise and thought he has to get a guy like Martin and let the chips fall where they may.

we have pre and post snap reads by the QB and the WR. Its not always easy when the QB has no time to be on the same page.. What helped us with ED was the post snap stuff he often saved us with is legs.. The pre-snap stuff and his throwing hurt us sometimes too.

We mixed it up and moved the ball , but we need a better running game so that the last 30 yds we can move the ball. had we completed drives we score 35+ last week, still get thumped but feel better about it. two games in and the RBs have had maybe 3-5 decent holes between them. In a closer game we probably kick 3 FGs last week and score 30 even with the issues.

I think the passing game gets better every week even if the Clemson D makes that hard to see this week.

if the D is gonna make mistakes they might as well make the being aggressive and give us achance to cause some TOs and mistakes.

This thread is even more ridiculous now that Martin’s number two QB in high school starts for Florida.

Qb play is not the issue,. Lots of moving parts in this equation.. next 2 games really point to where we are headed

We have gone from a young rising QB coach who was also an excellent recruiter now head coach at Kent State to a former HS coach from Texas who is Dinos daughters Father in law.
During his time we have had Chance transfer and missed out on every one of our top QB targets. Tommy looks unprepared. Does Martin have the chops to coach the most important position on our team?

Obviously you have no faith in Dino's ability to pick his staff.

For those still crying about Chance Aime's departure, Syracuse University sort of dodged one with him. He played in one game for Blinn, was 2-8 for 20 yards with an interception. He did have 7 carries for 95 yards with a long of 39 yards in that game which was a loss. He is no longer listed on the Blinn College Football roster. Must be Blinn College's quarterback coach wasn't developing him either? Oh and in no way shape or form do I blame Coach Martin for his departure. Coach Babers knows what he is doing. This is not directed at GoSU96 :)

P. You know what they say about assuming. Actually i think overall Dinos assistants are not at his level as a head coach.
I think Dino is as good a head coach as we will ever hire.
With the exception of Monroe who is our best recruiter and has built a great secondary and our special teams coach both of which i would give a B+A i think that the other coaches are C grades.

P. You know what they say about assuming. Actually i think overall Dinos assistants are not at his level as a head coach.
With the exception of Monroe who is our best recruiter and has built a great secondary and our special teams coach both of which i would give a B+A i think that the other coaches are C grades.

So you agree with me.

I think Stanard is a pretty damn good De coach. Also love Monroe.

This thread is even more ridiculous now that Martin’s number two QB in high school starts for Florida.

Well you're making an assumption Martin was solely, or largely responsible for this kids skills and development. Which I'm positive you don't know if he even worked with the kid that much or if the kids skills were a result of training outside of school.