Class of 2019 - QB David Summers (CT) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB David Summers (CT) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

This is such a huge pickup this late in the cycle. Can't be overstated. This is the kind of kid who could stick for a few years in a backup role. Provide quality depth and potentially blossom. Huge get.
Any offer given to a quarterback this late in the process should officially be named the Matt Hale Scholarship Award.

Congrats to Summers for being the recipient of this prestigious honor.

This staff is past the "filler" phase of their roster rehabilitation. They're constantly trying to improve the talent at each position from here on out. Sure, they missed out on a few higher QB's on their board, but they're not offering schollies to kids who they don't think have potential. Just my 2 cents.

They weren't going to go into the season with 2 QBs and Culpepper. This prospect was available and a 'best of the rest' imo. It''s a great pickup this late for plan D. Lets not be crazy though and think we'll just pocket scholarships, we needed a QB. He'll be recruited over in 2020. I hope he exceeds expectations and nails down the starting spot in 4 years but they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at an elite 2020 QB.

Don't get me wrong, I like this kid for what it is.

Not really sure what to make of the RB, I don't know how much value he adds.

They weren't going to go into the season with 2 QBs and Culpepper. This prospect was available and a 'best of the rest' imo. It''s a great pickup this late for plan D. Lets not be crazy though and think we'll just pocket scholarships, we needed a QB. He'll be recruited over in 2020. I hope he exceeds expectations and nails down the starting spot in 4 years but they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at an elite 2020 QB.

Don't get me wrong, I like this kid for what it is.

Not really sure what to make of the RB, I don't know how much value he adds.

Every kid on the roster will be recruited over every year from now on. That's how you keep getting better. We all want to see that, too.

Yup, lots of completion from much much better programs for Lance. This is why Locksley was such.a disaster his first time around as.a HC. Maybe he will learn on the job that recruiting for Bama isn’t the same as recruiting for the Terps.
To be fair, Locks won his fair share of battles against the "elites" and that was with having to sell Edsall.

Recruiting is not going to be a concern.

Every kid on the roster will be recruited over every year from now on. That's how you keep getting better. We all want to see that, too.
The goal is to recruit talented players better than the ones on the roster. That's not to say that every kid will. But it becomes easier the more 10-3 seasons we can string together.

I agree with that, but this kid isn’t going to challenge DeVito over the next 3 years. If he does then he’ll be an All American. The 2020 QB will be odds on favorite to be the heir.

To be fair, Locks won his fair share of battles against the "elites" and that was with having to sell Edsall.

No question that he can recruit. It is everything else, and I mean everything else, including who he should be targeting, that is a huge issue. He was never regarded as an Xs and Os guy through his career. It showed in his career record as a HC and it showed in the national championship game.

If his hires for his coordinators turn out to be home runs, he has a chance.

To his credit, he has added a bunch of former head coaches to his staff. That will help.

But to return to the subject of the thread, I am excited about David Summers wearing orange. You need to add a quality QB to the roster every year to build depth and continuity. This was a big step towards that.

watched lagendre film , that's 5 minutes of my life ill never get back ! to be kind I wont comment

What are your thoughts on signing Summers? Having trained with Tommy I am guessing you might have a bit more insight into his skill set and potential future here in the program

What are your thoughts on signing Summers? Having trained with Tommy I am guessing you might have a bit more insight into his skill set and potential future here in the program
That may not be a question he feels comfortable commenting upon on a public internet forum.

I like him first and foremost he is a good smart kid ( won’t get in trouble ) tall , throws on time , will look up to Tommy and learn . We needed this bad . He has time to learn and grow and could be the guy
Are he and Tommy already friends?

Not trying to be controversial...but why trust Tommy’s QB coach? Not sure he’s really done anything (yet) to be anointed as a no-brainer judge. He’s getting paid to promote; hasn’t cashed a check from an NFL protege correct?

I've seen Tommy throw

I've seen Tommy throw
Let me say this , what separates Leon Clarke from other Qb coaches is Leon can show them how to do it at a high level . I’ve seen dozens of “ top tier Qb coaches “ and all it is is drills and verbal no visual . My money is green and I could have spent it anywhere and I tried others just to see , well I saw enough . We got lucky to get Leon early, because once the hit high school it’s to late muscle memory is engrained . If it wasn’t everyone would have drew Breese mechanics or ken Griffey jr swing
Leon competes with these kids throws , drops
Etc that’s how you get better not saying know up blah blah blah

Well ain't that just something? Does this staff know how to work the waiver wire or what? Very excited to have Summers added to the core. Fantastic pick up.

Welcome to the Hill David.

There is no question that Locksley is a bulldog recruiter with a proven track record and terrific contacts around the DC metro area. I don't think anybody questions that.

But his coaching acumen is highly questionable. His first stint as a HC was disastrous. Now, was his stint at Alabama a success because of the talent / program around him, or has he improved as a head coach? Time will tell.

But some guys just aren't cut out to be head coaches -- they don't have the chops to handle running an entire program. Doesn't make them any less solid as position coaches, coordinators, recruiters, etc.

Nice. Pick up. Dino. (And Tommy).

I am not a recruiting or football talent person whatsoever, but live in the general area he plays in CT.

Regarded as the #2 pro style QB in the state (his school shut out the #1 in first game; Drew Pyne, a jr headed to a Notre Lame.)

Summers struggled against some of the top teams in the area (New Canaan and Darien). Don’t think his school had any other FBS players at skill positions.

Confirmed Syracuse did offer the Greenwich QB as a preferred walk on. He committed to Dartmouth.