Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

Half joking.

He’s visiting but wants to play with his brother.

Odd.

Assuming we actually offer a scholarship to a P5 school in the ACC should trump wanting to play with his brother at a school that is barely D1. I know we occasionally have a kid decide to go to a lower level D1 school (that Ossunyi guy to St. Bonaventure for bball comes to mind) but if we really want this kid I have to think we can get him.

Too bad the brother signed. He's a Center. Listed at 6-5 285

I said the same thing in the QBs thread. If he's not getting offers from the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th tier Texas schools like Texas State then there is a fatal flaw of some nature. We aren't just better talent evaluators, every school here has had to see him play and all came to the same conclusion. Obviously some guys fall through the cracks but if ALL of the Texas FBS schools passed and almost ALL of the FCS schools then there is something keeping them all away. I live in central Texas and this isn't like Dungey who was up in the corner of the country with minimal eyes on him. Even if he was a 1 year starter he would have been seen by everyone once the numbers started piling up.

True, but QB is a little different in that there are only a limited number of scholly's available for the position, and with the way recruits are evaluated, it's possible the Texas State's, North Texas's, SMU's, Lamar's, etc. already had committments before this kid was even evaluated. I tend to feel the same way you do though.

Edit: None of SMU, Texas State, North Texas, Houston, or UTEP have QB commits yet.

Last edited:
True, but QB is a little different in that there are only a limited number of scholly's available for the position, and with the way recruits are evaluated, it's possible the Texas State's, North Texas's, SMU's, Lamar's, etc. already had committments before this kid was even evaluated. I tend to feel the same way you do though.

QB is certainly the position most like that but 3-9 Texas State with 1 FBS win isn't passing on an ACC level QB to bring in their 25th guy. That level of kid or even close to it is a program changer for them. So if they are bringing in the twin brother and skipped out on him then that's really saying something. They have 19 commits and 0 QBs in their class from what I can tell. Spavital is a high end offensive coach from the Sumlin tree so maybe he has something specific he's looking for in that case but the FCS schools passing is what is really bizarre to me.

He’s a hard take at this point in recruitment cycle with his size even if it’s just for numbers on the bench

This HS has a big time TE recruit for this class - top 4 of bama, auburn, arkansas and texas tech. If you want a different perspective on Markiewicz's quarterbacking watch the TE tape.

Edit: None of SMU, Texas State, North Texas, Houston, or UTEP have QB commits yet.
Things that make you go hmm

Look at his recruitment like Ben Rothlisberger's. Ben didn't get much attention out of high school since he only started his senior year. Heck, by the time Dillon is lighting it up, in late October, most schools have already finished their QB recruiting. You gotta get players from where they are and recognize talent.

I was recruited by a CPA firm in the hotel where I tended bar. The recruiter interviewed me while I prepared him an excellent dry martini. Garnished with a lemon twist as I remember it. Worked for me and Coopers & Lybrand.

Jesus. Look at the stadiums these kids play in. I'm starting to have real difficulty getting past how perverse this is all getting has all become.
It's Texas. There's high schools all over the state with stadiums that look like that. Football in Texas is a culture, not a sport.

Look at his recruitment like Ben Rothlisberger's. Ben didn't get much attention out of high school since he only started his senior year. Heck, by the time Dillon is lighting it up, in late October, most schools have already finished their QB recruiting. You gotta get players from where they are and recognize talent.

I was recruited by a CPA firm in the hotel where I tended bar. The recruiter interviewed me while I prepared him an excellent dry martini. Garnished with a lemon twist as I remember it. Worked for me and Coopers & Lybrand.

So you're saying there's a pretty good chance he's going to turn into a NFL hall of famer? Sign me up!

This HS has a big time TE recruit for this class - top 4 of bama, auburn, arkansas and texas tech. If you want a different perspective on Markiewicz's quarterbacking watch the TE tape.

How is that a negative?

QB is certainly the position most like that but 3-9 Texas State with 1 FBS win isn't passing on an ACC level QB to bring in their 25th guy. That level of kid or even close to it is a program changer for them. So if they are bringing in the twin brother and skipped out on him then that's really saying something. They have 19 commits and 0 QBs in their class from what I can tell. Spavital is a high end offensive coach from the Sumlin tree so maybe he has something specific he's looking for in that case but the FCS schools passing is what is really bizarre to me.

I get it's an outlier but Gardner Minshew was the best HS QB in Mississippi and ended up getting an offer from Troy and started his playing career in Community College. He lit it up there and his best prospect was ECU. Heart of SEC country and they all passed twice on the best rookie QB in the NFL this year.

How is that a negative?
I think what he is saying is that it's a chance to watch him on someone else's tape (not clips hand picked by the QB but the TE), not that he is bad in those videos

Maybe he's the next Jimmy Garoppolo ? Patrick Mahomes is another Texas kid. Only had a couple of offers TT, Rice, Houston; better than Markiewicz, but Mahomes might be the best QB in the NFL right now. You just never know who's going to do what, it's a crap shoot. There's a million 4 and 5 star QBs who bust.

A few of us talked a long time ago about just go find one of those Texas QBs who plays in the system and throws for a million yards and then hope for the best.

Was reading the SFA board and saw this comment from a poster there

Have family who coaches in that district. He works in a super QB friendly offense. Air raid in the Mike Leach sense of the word. A lot of potential because of his size and arm strength but as is always the problem in air raid offenses, the QB doesn't read defenses. The QB in our offense needs to be able to make reads.

So probably a good get IF he commits. But gonna take work to teach him to read defenses in a much more complex offense.

I get it's an outlier but Gardner Minshew was the best HS QB in Mississippi and ended up getting an offer from Troy and started his playing career in Community College. He lit it up there and his best prospect was ECU. Heart of SEC country and they all passed twice on the best rookie QB in the NFL this year.
There are kids that fall through the cracks every year. It's just that there are hundreds of kids that fall and we never hear their names. Its just pretty tough for me to see a kid getting recognition in TX and not even getting offered by a 3-9 Sunbelt team that has recruited his twin brother and has no QB commit and think that we are just outsmarting them. Could he end up great? Sure, but those chances have to be extraordinarily slim.

Maybe he's the next Jimmy Garoppolo ? Patrick Mahomes is another Texas kid. Only had a couple of offers TT, Rice, Houston; better than Markiewicz, but Mahomes might be the best QB in the NFL right now. You just never know who's going to do what, it's a crap shoot. There's a million 4 and 5 star QBs who bust.

A few of us talked a long time ago about just go find one of those Texas QBs who plays in the system and throws for a million yards and then hope for the best.

Two words, Baker Mayfield. No scholie.

I don't think it is academics. He has an older twitter account where he was following a lot of Ivy football coaches...and Coach Martin.

That TE is a monster