Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

Was reading the SFA board and saw this comment from a poster there

Have family who coaches in that district. He works in a super QB friendly offense. Air raid in the Mike Leach sense of the word. A lot of potential because of his size and arm strength but as is always the problem in air raid offenses, the QB doesn't read defenses. The QB in our offense needs to be able to make reads.

So probably a good get IF he commits. But gonna take work to teach him to read defenses in a much more complex offense.

Then we will just have to have another Strickland-Dungey match up for him if he comes to SU.

I'm far from a talent scout, but I don't get it. This kid has it all it seems from the video. Great size, has a strong arm, puts the deep ball on the money, accurate on the short passes, can move in the pocket and buy time, can throw on the run, and has very good footwork. His footwork is much better than the NJ kid that many liked. The only thing I can figure from reading that one comment about the air raid and reading defenses is maybe teams don't think he has the mental makeup to be a D1 QB. Its not like we are loaded with QB's, so I would take this kid in a heartbeat and let it roll. Definitely worth a shot if we can convince him to head north.

Two words, Eric Dungy; not saying that Dillion is Eric's equivalent; however both had limited offers before we offered. Since our OC likes him; I hope this visit goes well!

Attachments

• GoOrangefootballTINNI0QQNhAM.gif
    GoOrangefootballTINNI0QQNhAM.gif
    346.4 KB · Views: 132
I'd take him in a heartbeat

1. If he's a system guy and doesn't make reads - we can work with that - our system can be pretty simple if need be
2. If Gilbert thinks he can play here, I'm in - he gets say until he proves otherwise
3. He's big and moves pretty well when pressured - good for our sometimes less than optimal OL play

1. If he's a system guy and doesn't make reads - we can work with that - our system can be pretty simple if need be
2. If Gilbert thinks he can play here, I'm in - he gets say until he proves otherwise
3. He's big and moves pretty well when pressured - good for our sometimes less than optimal OL play
Agree with your first point 100%. He’s not going to play his first couple of years anyways, he would have plenty of time to learn.

My main question is in regards to #2. Why didn't he have a McNeese St offer? This is a real odd situation from all angles.

Jesus. Look at the stadiums these kids play in. I'm starting to have real difficulty getting past how perverse this is all getting has all become.

Why is it perverse? It's not like they are building these stadiums without the demand. My HS gets 10K+ per game in attendance. Where you going to put all those people if you just throw up bleachers?

My main question is in regards to #2. Why didn't he have a McNeese St offer? This is a real odd situation from all angles.
They have 5 on the roster heading into 2020.

They have 5 on the roster heading into 2020.
Can understand that but it's irrelevant isn't it if he thinks this is an ACC level player? Without looking, I imagine 0 of them had a P5 offer unless they are a transfer.

Any QB on the roster is only one injury away from playing.
Even Devito wasn’t the second string QB his true freshman season. If this kid would be he’s either an unbelievable diamond in the rough or Summers and Gunther are extreme disappointments.

Can understand that but it's irrelevant isn't it if he thinks this is an ACC level player? Without looking, I imagine 0 of them had a P5 offer unless they are a transfer.
I'm here to offer possibilities.

Maybe Sterling inquired and was told he wasn’t interested? Maybe they thought they couldn’t get him?

Remember offers are well into a kids recruitment/relationship with a school.

Even Devito wasn’t the second string QB his true freshman season. If this kid would be he’s either an unbelievable diamond in the rough or Summers and Gunther are extreme disappointments.
There have been situations where schools, before the 4 game rule, had to play a QB they were redshirting because of injuries. And there is a new OC/QB coach. Who knows how he evaluates the talent already on the roster.

There have been situations where schools, before the 4 game rule, had to play a QB they were redshirting because of injuries. And there is a new OC/QB coach. Who knows how he evaluates the talent already on the roster.
Yupp so it would take multiple injuries, we landed a stud that flew under the radar, or the QBs on our roster aren’t a fit or ready to be the second option.

Strickland was a much bigger loss than expected going into last season.
He was a great redzone back and mastered recognizing presnap d coverages and relaying adjustments as is necessary in our O

Why is it perverse? It's not like they are building these stadiums without the demand. My HS gets 10K+ per game in attendance. Where you going to put all those people if you just throw up bleachers?

The demand is what's perverse. And I admit that I'm a hypocrite. But we digress.

Has the measurables, can sling the rock, can move and run. We have depth issues. It's a no brainer. At this point he could throw like Lamar from Revenge of the nerds and I would still say take him. I expect our new OC and Dino combined will land another two for 2021 to get the ship righted on QBs.

On Scout currently he is ranked a 3 star recruit at a 82 rating. He is ranked as the 74th best pro-style QB. He is 2 spots ahead of Macphail.

Also something to take into consideration is that these massive texas stadiums are normally shared between 5 or more schools. So they are playing games Thursday through Saturday.

The kid definitely sees the field well and has good placement / touch on intermediate and long throws. Seemed to also make nice throws on the move, although he seemed a little slow to me.

Would be interesting to see non-highlight footage, to see whether he always throws that consistently instead of just the successful passes.