QB Eric Dungey in 1st interview since season ended 'It was frustrating' | Syracusefan.com

QB Eric Dungey in 1st interview since season ended 'It was frustrating'

The school made a liability and not wanting to deal with Poliquin decision.

What does that mean? I am totally clueless.
I think Go is saying the decision to not play Dungey was prompted by concerns SU would someday get sued by the Dungey family if they let him play and he suffered a serious injury, along with not wanting to deal with columns from Bud Poliquin admonishing the university for risking a player's life by playing him when at least one doctor thought it best to shut things down for the season. There is nothing a no talent hack columnist likes better than to play the 'I told you so' card even when he didn't tell anyone.

A player from about 10 years ago recently sued SU because of damages he feels he suffered from concussions he incurred while at SU. A side effect of doing that is that it has made SU, historically extremely cautious regarding football related brain injuries, even more so...

Ex-Syracuse football player Marcus Clayton sues school, NCAA over concussion damage

Last edited:
I think Go is saying the decision to not play Dungey was prompted by concerns SU would someday get sued by the Dungey family if they let him play and he suffered a serious injury, along with not wanting to deal with columns from Bud Poliquin admonishing the university for risking a player's life by playing him when at least one doctor thought it best to shut things down for the season. There is nothing a no talent hack columnist likes better than to play the 'I told you so' card even when he didn't tell anyone.

A player from about 10 years ago recently sued SU because of damages he feels he suffered from concussions he incurred while at SU. A side effect of doing that is that it has made SU, historically extremely cautious regarding football related brain injuries, even more so...

Ex-Syracuse football player Marcus Clayton sues school, NCAA over concussion damage
Thanks.

I'm amazed this thread isn't blowing up. People have been wanting and waiting for this interview since Nov. 5th, 2016... There's a ton of information spread throughout this interview.

So excited to see this thing go this Fall.

I'm amazed this thread isn't blowing up. People have been wanting and waiting for this interview since Nov. 5th, 2016... There's a ton of information spread throughout this interview.

Not much to complain about in there ;)

I liked the Custis comments. Sounds like he needs a game or two vs a cupcake to get his head to catch up to his body.

Do players have real claims against universities for injuries suffered on the football field? I would think the responsibility and liability lies with the athlete to determine what to do post medical information. Can a school physically stop a kid from playing if their personal doctor says he's ready to go and the school doctor says no way? I would think there is some sort of release for the school when you sign up to play. Wouldn't every player sue if that wasn't the case for injuries suffered?

I must be missing something here. Having said that, it sure sounds like Dungey could be a candidate to transfer if the school continues to monkey around with his injury situation. I'm just reading the tea leaves of that column.

nah they'd prefer to speculate and use their google MD degrees to diagnose injuries they see on replay.

Do players have real claims against universities for injuries suffered on the football field? I would think the responsibility and liability lies with the athlete to determine what to do post medical information. Can a school physically stop a kid from playing if their personal doctor says he's ready to go and the school doctor says no way? I would think there is some sort of release for the school when you sign up to play. Wouldn't every player sue if that wasn't the case for injuries suffered?

I must be missing something here. Having said that, it sure sounds like Dungey could be a candidate to transfer if the school continues to monkey around with his injury situation. I'm just reading the tea leaves of that column.

Yes, they can. And, yes, they have. A lot of those players ended up playing college ball somewhere else.

As far as Eric? There's a lot not being said. And it's more than just him. And that's all I'm gonna say.

As far as Eric? There's a lot not being said. And it's more than just him. And that's all I'm gonna say.

Can't leave us hangin

Yes, they can. And, yes, they have. A lot of those players ended up playing college ball somewhere else.

You already said too much;)

Let's put it this way, from everything I have heard about the treatment received by some of the players imo there is a level of incompetence that the AD and SU need to review and investigate.
Not saying there isn't. I'm saying that vaguely commenting invites people who don't know about the situation to make rash statements.

Not saying there isn't. I'm saying that vaguely commenting invites people who don't know about the situation to make rash statements.
I think that anyone who follows this board and has read the posts of other parents knows there is an issue with the quality of treatment that has nothing to do with Eric.

Is there any discussion between the players' families and the AD about these concerns? Or are the families basically not given any access to the decision-makers? It seems that Wildhack should be interested in getting quality treatment for the athletes to get them cleared and playing again as quickly as possible for as long as they are able.

I think it's a pretty intricate, complicated subject now for colleges, doctors and players. For decades the common belief was that colleges pushed injured athletes to play hurt - the pendulum has now swung because of player lawsuits and rulings and worries about the unknown on player's future health.

Next wave of concussion lawsuits hits conferences, and for Penn State, schools

Particularly interesting is the statement below from the article that says the courts have ruled that a waiver of liability/release signed by a player doesn't mean that the college wouldn't be liable. Posters have proposed that it would be a simple resolution, guess it isn't.

"For instance, Bowling Green recently settled for $712,500 in an individual suit brought by former offensive lineman Cody Silk, who said he had two concussions but was allowed to participate in full-contact practices until suffering a third.

The court initially rejected Silk's claims because he signed a release of liability to play football and assumed the risk of injury. Silk refiled the claim and a judge agreed that waivers of liability and releases don't relieve a proprietor from liability due to wanton or willful misconduct. Bowling Green said it settled only to avoid a trial and admitted no wrongdoing."

Someone left a piece of medical equipment in Shy Cullen which has caused him to have a second surgery. I would say that's incompetent. Not sure who the doctor was.

A statement like that doesn't benefit anyone. It invites needless speculation.

it's payside my source is better than your's chest thumping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom