Class of 2020 - QB Eric Williams (FL) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Eric Williams (FL) Offered

Ya I know he only led his team to 12-0 and what was missing was he was to ill for the Championship game. If you snooze you may lose.

There's 7 FBS schools in Florida and 2 within like 45 mins of Lakeland. I would have to assume that every one of those staffs has seen him play live or at the very least saw the tape. This isn't a kid that is likely to fall through the cracks like some kid playing Class B in CNY.

I wouldn't take it so personally. He's got some decent offers where he'll be going to college for free. He might just not be good enough for SU in the staff's opinion.
I have to laugh at times when I hear that a kid may not be good enough for this staff. To be honest on here and I'm sure I am not the only one that feels this way, but the way this staff has recruited so many QBs and not landing any so far is pretty putrid.

I have to laugh at times when I hear that a kid may not be good enough for this staff. To be honest on here and I'm sure I am not the only one that feels this way, but the way this staff has recruited so many QBs and not landing any so far is pretty putrid.

I would disagree. If you look at the past four years, they’ve actually recruited QBs just fine. A four star TD, who will start for two more years. They recruited a high 3 star QB who many inside the program (and outside) thought could take the offense to another level of given the shot. It’s not the staffs fault he has no interest in performing in the classroom. Then, after losing him, they went and flipped a QB that was top 40 in the country, and had interest from UCLA before signing with the Cuse as well; oh, and he’s still a true freshman in his redshirt year. Summers gets way too much heat because he threw ducks in a practice when the coaching staff was trying to adjust his mechanics and release. Nobody really knows until the spring how his work has gone.

Have we whiffed this year on recruits. Yes. Does it suck? You betcha. But the program doesn’t have a history under Babers of striking out consistently. Is this Williams kid an intriguing QB? Yeah, absolutely. Hope he kills it at the school he goes to. Im not sounding the alarm on our programs ability to bring someone in.

I would disagree. If you look at the past four years, they’ve actually recruited QBs just fine. A four star TD, who will start for two more years. They recruited a high 3 star QB who many inside the program (and outside) thought could take the offense to another level of given the shot. It’s not the staffs fault he has no interest in performing in the classroom. Then, after losing him, they went and flipped a QB that was top 40 in the country, and had interest from UCLA before signing with the Cuse as well; oh, and he’s still a true freshman in his redshirt year. Summers gets way too much heat because he threw ducks in a practice when the coaching staff was trying to adjust his mechanics and release. Nobody really knows until the spring how his work has gone.

Have we whiffed this year on recruits. Yes. Does it suck? You betcha. But the program doesn’t have a history under Babers of striking out consistently. Is this Williams kid an intriguing QB? Yeah, absolutely. Hope he kills it at the school he goes to. Im not sounding the alarm on our programs ability to bring someone in.
Don't take it wrong its not the Williams kid, I hope he does well as you said wherever he goes also. But if it wasn't for Coach Monroe the last couple years we would be so far back in time that they would have to pump in sunlight. Just frustrated from hearing the number of QBs we have pursued and hardly get a look. I just hope our NEW OC and DC are good recruiters and closers. Just venting. Go Orange.

I don’t get this take. So they missed out on the kids they like and don’t offer kids they don’t. Isn’t this what every school does? Settling isn’t smart. Especially in this New transfer market environment - where you get extra shots at talented kids, some of who can play right away.

Just because the board is anxious doesn't mean they should take kids that can’t play here in their system

I want to go along with this.

But we've gone three straight classes now where we need a late pull at QB.

It concerns me.

With the offensive system we have in place and the success that QB’s have had in it, we shouldn’t be scrambling for QB recruits late in the recruiting cycle. This is 3 years running now where that has happened.

Without coaching changes we wouldn’t have landed Amie or Summers. And it’s January 12th and we still don’t have a QB recruit this cycle.

I understand you have a horse in this race, so it hits a little different but if you're listing Ithaca on your offer sheet... Well, its not like SU is passing on some high profile kid.

I think it's fair to criticize QB recruiting since they got Tommy. I also think we are all hopeful that with Gilbert coming in, a guy who has a lot of credibility, that things will change. hopefully his credibility can help land us a HS kid and a solid JUCO/transfer portal kid at this late point

I think the kids that go to the Clemsons, Alabama’s, Michigan’s, and Oklahoma’s of the college football world are not intimidated by having to compete with other top recruits. At the same time, if a kid is coming to the current rendition of SU or Pitt or BC or NC St etc, those kids are doing everything they can to pick a school where their odds of PT are greatly increased.

I think Dungey scared some kids off for a couple of years - he started as a freshman. No one wants to sit for three years. Ditto TD. Kids heard he was the heir, top recruit, difficult to unseat, and he had enough success in a backup role last year to suggest he was just going to be plugged in. On top of that, we had Aimee in the wings, looked like solid competition. I just think QB recruiting for SU the last 3 years has been a perfect storm of bad luck. We need to land that one kid who will break the cycle, and then Babers’ offense will be enough of a showcase to get more buy-in from recruits. Best scenario is we get our OL straightened out, and Tommy assumes that role. As a junior, he shouldn’t scare anyone off, and Summers is an unknown. So some pretty good QB recruits should view SU as green pastures.

But we can’t wait two years for that. So it has to be TD to get it done.

I understand you have a horse in this race, so it hits a little different but if you're listing Ithaca on your offer sheet... Well, its not like SU is passing on some high profile kid.
I'll state it differently -- this kid looks like a terrific athlete who isn't a polished QB. Lots of upside as a dual threat, but who knows if the passing ever comes around. He may have multi-position upside, but we only have 5 scholarships to fill, and maybe the staff has other players prioritized higher.

To rackman, that doesn't mean that he isn't a P5-caliber athlete, that he won't end up somewhere as a QB, etc. It just means that our coaching staff might not be prioritizing him. And by the way, things are always subject to change -- maybe we'll seek to bring in 2 QBs instead of 1, opening up a spot for a developmental prospect like this. Time will tell.

I think SU needs a dual-threat QB. They mask oline deficiencies. Its unrealistic to expect to have a dominating offensive line every year.
Take Lamar Jackson, look how he elevated Lville for a period. He got them into the top 5 at one point and they did not have a top 5 roster.
Dungey elevated Cuse with his mobility and running. If it meant no QB or Williams, Id take a dual threat project from the state of Florida. Clock continues to tick for Dino and his staff on this, hoping they don't come up empty handed.

Agree with the sentiments here that Dino is having issues drawing QB talent it seems like and its really going to be interesting how both the new OC/QB coach fix that. That includes the oline. Don't think for a second that either people close to the players or staffs negatively recruiting against us have not mentioned the number of sacks given up this year especially but also in recent seasons. Our oline has been flat out subpar and while the last couple games seemed to display an uptick in performance, the oline reputation has already been established. It's not surprising in some ways that Dino has been challenged on the QB front. No player wants to be sacked 50 times in a season. Looking forward to the new blood on the staff. The new staff will bring a fresh voice to recruiting and be able to perhaps more importantly message change.

I think SU needs a dual-threat QB. They mask oline deficiencies. Its unrealistic to expect to have a dominating offensive line every year.
Take Lamar Jackson, look how he elevated Lville for a period. He got them into the top 5 at one point and they did not have a top 5 roster.
Dungey elevated Cuse with his mobility and running. If it meant no QB or Williams, Id take a dual threat project from the state of Florida. Clock continues to tick for Dino and his staff on this, hoping they don't come up empty handed.
For every Lamar Jackson there's a Johnathan Lewis. For every Jameis Winston there's a Tathan Martell.

I'd rather have an accurate pocket QB that can scramble if need be than a kid who will take off at the first sign of trouble and is inaccurate.

Lamar Jackson wasn't Lamar Jackson in his first season starting. Look back at his first season with Louisville and then look at Tommy's numbers.

For every Lamar Jackson there's a Johnathan Lewis. For every Jameis Winston there's a Tathan Martell.

I'd rather have an accurate pocket QB that can scramble if need be than a kid who will take off at the first sign of trouble and is inaccurate.

Lamar Jackson wasn't Lamar Jackson in his first season starting. Look back at his first season with Louisville and then look at Tommy's numbers.

This is why SU needs someone like Gilbert to help with mechanics and recruiting at the QB position. I know it's hard to change the muscle memory of a lot of QB's throwing mechanics but if SU can find a HS kid that will listen and put in the hard work, an athletic QB could be beneficial to the depth and giving a change of pace to TD or a pocket passer for certain situations.

3 things we all know you can't teach, size, arm strength and speed. The the last 2 can be tweaked but what they have is what they already have in that regard.

Finding a HS QB that knows when to move his feet and stay behind scrimmage and keep his head up looking for receivers and also knowing when to take off is imo a huge asset and like you said, being accurate is definitely a huge part of this equation.

I would say for every Lamar Jackson there is 10 Johnathan Lewis' and same for Winston/ Martell. Those two don't come along very often. The busts are everywhere

Then look at his 2nd and 3rd year he was much better and unstoppable. Everyone or most everyone needs a year and some 2 to get up to par. Take TD, he is still trying to get there.

I would say for every Lamar Jackson there is 10 Johnathan Lewis' and same for Winston/ Martell. Those two don't come along very often. The busts are everywhere

Think you're safe going up to 100 or even 1000. Not a lot of Heisman winners and those are 2 of them.

Gave you a like for using Tathan.

Then look at his 2nd and 3rd year he was much better and unstoppable. Everyone or most everyone needs a year and some 2 to get up to par. Take TD, he is still trying to get there.
I'm aware. But last year was Tommy's first year as a starter. I expect his jump from year one to two will be enormous. Probably not Lamar level but I expect he'll be a lot better than this year which would be excellent news.

lamar was I believe a true freshman when he was a part time starter, soph year was Heisman

Tommy has higher Comp % but trails in yards and YPA

I like TD but I don't see how he can elevate the offense the way a dual threat could, just my opinion

I think it's ridiculous to talk about dual threat QBs and then bring Lamar and Winston into the conversation regarding SU. Those are not the quality (by a mile) of QB we would be getting. I freely admit to not being any kind of talent evaluator but Eric Williams doesn't do for me what he does for others here. I just don't see it.

lamar was I believe a true freshman when he was a part time starter, soph year was Heisman

Tommy has higher Comp % but trails in yards and YPA

I like TD but I don't see how he can elevate the offense the way a dual threat could, just my opinion
I'm not really comparing them in terms of ability, but Trevor Lawrence/Joe Burrow are just as much dual-threat as Tommy is. They're all pass first, with the ability to run a QB draw or read option to pick up a chunk of yards.

If Tommy didn't get sacked 45 times last year he'd probably have 300-400 rushing yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom