Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

Sorry, but we are a viable option. The school plays football in the ACC. It plays against the best teams in the country. Colgate is not a viable option. Syracuse is.

Whether it is a top option for him or the best option for him remains to be seen. It probably isn't the option that he has that has had the most success recently. But it certainly is a viable option.
We're not in his top group of schools. So no, right now we are not a viable option.

Getting him on campus will happen. But we might never break into his top schools.

It's going to be hard to get into most of the top NY kids top group of schools, Wilson just released his top 5 and we are not in it. The coaches just don't have the established relationship with them.

I think the selling pitch to these top QBs will be, come into a storied program with history which is being turned around to its former glory and rewrite the record books with me. It might take a year or two before the kids start really listening but that's fine we have a solid two deep at QB right now and they're both young.

The predictions of Coan to Michigan have taken a punch in the gut recently. They just signed the #3 rated QB out of Colorado as their top of the board 2017 QB. Seemingly won't hurt his other suitors chances moving forward.

But viable option has to start somewhere and that's where we have to convince him it will start with him. Once he says I do, then others such as top wrs , rbs, and other top recruit will buy into the program. We arn't going to beat the big boys in recruiting until we start winning and showing them we are someone to reckon with. We can do this even with Dungey (if he can stay healthy) and this years recruits. But we have to get players like JC to buy into it. Lets call it a investment. :)

Exactly! My point as well. What we do in the next two - three years will have a huge impact on recruiting. What they do with the Dome as well. IMO we can't wait through much more study. We have to act and begin the process of construction to have the Dome be a factor in recruiting. But it is our play and the positive results, (wins), we have that will make the difference.

Like I said, he'll visit. Now we need to make an impression.
Hey Ben, obviously being a NY kid he is 1A on the pecking order, should we be able to get him... Perhaps tied with Kasim Hill in a first come basis, and/or a we will gladly take both but would never get both situation. Will a good visit, connection with Dino, etc, as well as a moderately successful first season be enough, or do we need to show bowl game to get someone like him away from the big boys?

Hey Ben, obviously being a NY kid he is 1A on the pecking order, should we be able to get him... Perhaps tied with Kasim Hill in a first come basis, and/or a we will gladly take both but would never get both situation. Will a good visit, connection with Dino, etc, as well as a moderately successful first season be enough, or do we need to show bowl game to get someone like him away from the big boys?
It remains to be seen but we're definitely not being considered right now as a top option for him. So hopefully this lays some ground work, and then a successful season does enough to at least get our hypothetical hat on the hypothetical table.

I think we're in a much better position with Kasim Hill. Like, close to favorites for him.

I know I will get bashed by some but I really like Hill's all around game better than Coans. But it is a preference and its mine. lol

I hope he will say the same thing about our visit and more. You can only hope.

A quick reminder now that the big 27th week end is history. One week from today will be an important day for Dino Babers and his entire staff. The Quarterback position is critical to any team but especially for the future of Syracuse Football. Since Donovan McNabb we have not had an elite level QB running our offense. One week from today could spell our future success or not. Monday March 7th, Jack Coan will be here. His mindset is either considering us as a true option for him or a second tier fallback. We must get Coan, OR Kasim Hill to commit. They are both dual - threat QB’s, IMO, even in talent, mechanics, arm strength, accuracy, both operate out of a shotgun spread, will stand in the pocket or if being pressured get out of the way and run well. After seeing some of Hill’s videos it is apparent that he has slightly better vision and speed than Coan. His escapes are Houdini like. We are in a better position with him due to his history, having camped at SU and having been offered first by SU. No crystal balls here. Hoping we get one or the other. If we do not get either, this is not a running offense. Eric Dungey better be healthy and learn from this new staff when to slide if he is asked to or has to run. If he takes another bad hit he could be gone due to concussions which would be a shame for him and the team. It will be very interesting to see what develops in this situation.

A quick reminder now that the big 27th week end is history. One week from today will be an important day for Dino Babers and his entire staff. The Quarterback position is critical to any team but especially for the future of Syracuse Football. Since Donovan McNabb we have not had an elite level QB running our offense. One week from today could spell our future success or not. Monday March 7th, Jack Coan will be here. His mindset is either considering us as a true option for him or a second tier fallback. We must get Coan, OR Kasim Hill to commit. They are both dual - threat QB’s, IMO, even in talent, mechanics, arm strength, accuracy, both operate out of a shotgun spread, will stand in the pocket or if being pressured get out of the way and run well. After seeing some of Hill’s videos it is apparent that he has slightly better vision and speed than Coan. His escapes are Houdini like. We are in a better position with him due to his history, having camped at SU and having been offered first by SU. No crystal balls here. Hoping we get one or the other. If we do not get either, this is not a running offense. Eric Dungey better be healthy and learn from this new staff when to slide if he is asked to or has to run. If he takes another bad hit he could be gone due to concussions which would be a shame for him and the team. It will be very interesting to see what develops in this situation.

I love your passion Bill but it is a long time between now and signing day 2017. If the staff doesn't get Coan or Hill there is always another QB out there...I think they just offered one this weekend in DeVito.

I Also think we have a better chance with Hill than Coan but even Hill will be tough to keep away from Maryland, Miss st. Michigan just got a big commit so we are safe with them. Dont know how much Mich st or Penn st wants him. We have to make a good impression on Coan during his visit. After that it will be a battle to keep him home.

I get what you're saying... But I think Dungey will prove to be elite this season. And the offense won't even be really rolling yet.

I also don't think the uphill climb to get offensive players will last much longer. If Dino can get to a bowl and point us in the right direction perception wise - QB/WR will be a much, mush easier sell IMO.

Venting > Perhaps I am too much about now and also impatient. I've had enough years of SUFB mediocrity and worse and am tired of them. I also realize there are other QB's and a lot of time between now and signing day. I personally don't want to wait to eek out another bowl win to prove ourselves worthy but will. Everyone is talking about Coan and his ability and that it would be great to have him at SU. We offered along with Hill, (these two are the best in the east and close to the top nationally), and wanted people to be aware of things that may eventually be coming to fruition. So my reminder - passionate, yes but as I mentioned there is no crystal ball. Coan could go to the Big House and Hill to MD. We'll all see what happens. There is always hope. I think this new HC and staff has given us a lot to be optimistic about.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Venting > Perhaps I am to much about now and impatient. I've had enough years of SUFB mediocrity and worse and am tired of them. I also realize there are other QB's and a lot of time between now and signing day. Everyone is talking about Coan and his ability and that it would be great to have him at SU. I personally don't want to wait to eek out another bowl win to prove ourselves worthy but will. I saw Coan offered along with Hill, (these two are the best in the east and close to the top nationally), and wanted people to be aware of things that may eventually be coming to fruition. So my reminder - passionate, yes but as I mentioned there is no crystal ball. Coan could go to the Big House and Hill to MD. We'll all see what happens. There is always hope. I think this new HC and staff has given us a lot to be optimistic about.:)[/QUOTE= Also with Hill, I believe he just transferred to another HS that have a few coaches that were SU alumnus. ( I believe this was Hill)

Plus Culpepper's story hasn't even been written yet. Let's see how he does before being completely overlooked. That being said, I certainly wouldn't turn down the QBs Dino is pursuing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom