Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

I get what you're saying... But I think Dungey will prove to be elite this season. And the offense won't even be really rolling yet.

I also don't think the uphill climb to get offensive players will last much longer. If Dino can get to a bowl and point us in the right direction perception wise - QB/WR will be a much, mush easier sell IMO.
I'm as high on Dungey's ability as anyone else. But I just don't trust him to finish his career at Syracuse considering his brain injuries and SU's strict policies. Which makes landing a great quarterback in this class more important than ever.

orangenirvana said:
I'm as high on Dungey's ability as anyone else. But I just don't trust him to finish his career at Syracuse considering his brain injuries and SU's strict policies. Which makes landing a great quarterback in this class more important than ever.

1. Policy seems to have been modified.
2. No one here has any idea how many concussions he's had.

He needs to be careful and do his best to protect himself and this system may prolong his career simply by taking less hits.

I agree 100% that landing a stud QB is important. But that's true every year.

I am dreaming, but I want both Coan and Hill in this class and then one top level QB in each class after this. It is a very QB friendly offense, QB's should be eager to join this offense.

Hope this kid pledges Orange. Need to keep that in state talent, thought that is one of the most overrated topics related to Cuse football. But hopefully Johnny Desko can help Dino out, maybe let him play lax here too.

CuseLegacy said:
They are working on replacing it. I am sure they are selling that to prospects.

I'm not sure that does much good until they are actually standing in it. We still get kids who are surprised at our facilities

I'm not sure that does much good until they are actually standing in it. still get kids who are surprised at our facilities

Donovan McNabb on the phone heard the words from Brenda Vick, “I really want him to stay in Virginia.” McNabb went into sales mode saying he’ll get a great education and we’ll win. A starry eyed Vick on an unofficial visit to SU ready to commit asked what is she saying, what she saying? That was back in 1999 when Donovan had led the orange to a 35-14 record over four years. IF is the big word here. IF Vick had taken over the reins at QB from McNabb what would have the future have held for SU? We never found out because of Vick’s mother who had told McNabb before they hung up that she really wanted her son to stay in VA. For Tech Vick went 22-2 as a two year starter. IF. SU went from elite status to zip status.

We are on the verge of another situation like the one just described. Quarterbacks are the nucleus of a team. Get a great one and your record is going to improve. We have two four star QB’s interested in us - the first being Kasim Hill who has camped here and received his first offer at a D-1 school from us. The other, visiting Monday, is Jack Coan who is on the road looking at schools, the latest BC then on to us on Monday. I’d like to be a fly on the wall in DB’s office to hear the conversations since I understand from posts that Coan is considering us a second tier choice. Both Hill and Coan are dual threat pro style, stand in the pocket or run aces. The future of SU could depend on their commitment. But, unlike Vick, this time a mother may not be the reason for the decision. The new staff and their philosophy may be the decision maker here. Get both all the better - get one great, get none and we are left looking for another promising QB who will lead us into a better future than we are currently enjoying. However, Eric Dungey has another chance to lead SU to a great record - albeit one more hit to his head and he may be done. A shame but a reality. Interesting future for us.This Monday may be the future or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to say, but recruits like him, especially at QB, don't move the needle for me anymore. I've gotten excited in the past only to see them choose another school time after time after time. At this point, I just don't expect us to land a game changer at QB. I know some will probably point to Babers and his exciting offense. As of today he hasn't won a game at Syracuse. If and when we finally do land a stud at QB, I'll temper my excitement until he actually gets to campus. That's just the depressing reality at this point. That being said, I'll still buy my season tickets and I'll still check this board every day, and I'll still root like Hell for the team.

BillSU said:
Donovan McNabb on the phone heard the words from Brenda Vick, “I really want him to stay in Virginia.” McNabb went into sales mode saying he’ll get a great education and we’ll win. A starry eyed Vick on an unofficial visit to SU ready to commit asked what is she saying, what she saying? That was back in 1999 when Donovan had led the orange to a 35-14 record over four years. IF is the big word here. IF Vick had taken over the reins at QB from McNabb what would have the future have held for SU? We never found out because of Vick’s mother who had told McNabb before they hung up that she really wanted her son to stay in VA. For Tech Vick went 22-2 as a two year starter. IF. SU went from elite status to zip status. We are on the verge of another situation like the one just described. Quarterbacks are the nucleus of a team. Get a great one and your record is going to improve. We have two four star QB’s interested in us - the first being Kasim Hill who has camped here and received his first offer at a D-1 school from us. The other, visiting Monday, is Jack Coan who is on the road looking at schools, the latest BC then on to us on Monday. I’d like to be a fly on the wall in DB’s office to hear the conversations since I understand from posts that Coan is considering us a second tier choice. Both Hill and Coan are dual threat pro style, stand in the pocket or run aces. The future of SU could depend on their commitment. But, unlike Vick, this time a mother may not be the reason for the decision. The new staff and their philosophy may be the decision maker here. Get both all the better - get one great, get none and we are left looking for another promising QB who will lead us into a better future than we are currently enjoying. However, Eric Dungey has another chance to lead SU to a great record - albeit one more hit to his head and he may be done. A shame but a reality. Interesting future for us.This Monday may be the future or not.

I respect your take 100%. But the future has many branches - if Coan goes somewhere else, it's not losing Vick. Vick is a once in a generation talent - much like McNabb. Most programs miss on elite QB's. Babers system can make a guy much better than his talent would dictate.

If we miss on our top targets - it's like every year - we move to the next line.

I'd rather get the kid than not. But if we don't we'll be in the running with the top east QB's again next year with a season of tape on Babers O.

SUFaninNJ said:
Sad to say, but recruits like him, especially at QB, don't move the needle for me anymore. I've gotten excited in the past only to see them choose another school time after time after time. At this point, I just don't expect us to land a game changer at QB. I know some will probably point to Babers and his exciting offense. As of today he hasn't won a game at Syracuse. If and when we finally do land a stud at QB, I'll temper my excitement until he actually gets to campus. That's just the depressing reality at this point. That being said, I'll still buy my season tickets and I'll still check this board every day, and I'll still root like Hell for the team.

Reasonable at this point...

I'd be shocked if this hire doesn't get us to the top of the league in 2-3 years. Just wait till Dungey puts up video game numbers this year with the O playing at 3/4th the speed and efficiency.

I'd be shocked if this hire doesn't get us to the top of the league in 2-3 years. Just wait till Dungey puts up video game numbers this year with the O playing at 3/4th the speed and efficiency.

Like HCDB says at this point it takes faith - believe without evidence for a high profile QB to make the leap. By Dungey's senior year the evidence will be there. We'll be fine.

We have a stud game-changer quarterback on the roster right now. I'd love another one but your post is needlessly depressing.

Top of what? The ACC? In 2-3 years? I wish I could have that kind of optimism in life.

We have a stud game-changer quarterback on the roster right now. I'd love another one but your post is needlessly depressing.
Well, it sucks to be you then for having read it.

Sad to say, but recruits like him, especially at QB, don't move the needle for me anymore. I've gotten excited in the past only to see them choose another school time after time after time. At this point, I just don't expect us to land a game changer at QB. I know some will probably point to Babers and his exciting offense. As of today he hasn't won a game at Syracuse. If and when we finally do land a stud at QB, I'll temper my excitement until he actually gets to campus. That's just the depressing reality at this point. That being said, I'll still buy my season tickets and I'll still check this board every day, and I'll still root like Hell for the team.[/QUOTE
All this talk about get a top notch QB, but it seems as tho everyone or almost everyone has very little Faith in Rex Culpepper. We haven't seen him much to really evaluate what he may do, but we did take him based on a lot of his ptential and what we did see. He may be the stud that everyone is waiting for. I think we have a really good start at the moment with Dungey, Culpepper, and pull in one of these upper tier guys and then the rest will follow. Just my opinion

All this talk about get a top notch QB, but it seems as tho everyone or almost everyone has very little Faith in Rex Culpepper. We haven't seen him much to really evaluate what he may do, but we did take him based on a lot of his ptential and what we did see. He may be the stud that everyone is waiting for. I think we have a really good start at the moment with Dungey, Culpepper, and pull in one of these upper tier guys and then the rest will follow. Just my opinion
If the recruiting sites can be trusted, Rex had offers across the board. Ohio State, Clemson, Miami, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, WVU, Virginia Tech, etc. Even if only half of those schools offered, I don't see how we can poo-poo that level of recruit.

If the recruiting sites can be trusted, Rex had offers across the board. Ohio State, Clemson, Miami, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, WVU, Virginia Tech, etc. Even if only half of those schools offered, I don't see how we can poo-poo that level of recruit.
Dino & co. went right out and secured the guys they really wanted from the existing class. Rex and Moe were two of the first three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom