Class of 2016 - QB Jake Zembiec (NY) Verbal to PSU/Retiring from Football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Jake Zembiec (NY) Verbal to PSU/Retiring from Football

Rumors he may have sustained a broken bone near his hand/wrist today
looks more like a collar bone injury or a separation of the shoulder with the photo

i hope they've cut bait.

Why because he is blowing up? Everyone knew he would. He may get stung by an orange and commit to us at any point.

Why because he is blowing up? Everyone knew he would. He may get stung by an orange and commit to us at any point.

no...because he has no interest and its a waste of time.

Top of their board - after thought for us. Maybe above post is correct that SU feels they have no chance so they aren't pursuing. Hard for me to agree with the whole system thing when looking at our recent history. So we'd rather have an average QB out of Florida or wherever because he can run around. QBs that big time programs have no interest in? From what I have been told, the previous staff (Marone, Hackett, Wheatley) absolutely loved this kid and invited him to senior camp and offered him as freshman.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../michigan-state-football-recruiting/17342887/

Last edited:
Interesting comments about his injury by his dad on the syracuse.com high school football forum.

Top of their board - after thought for us. Maybe above post is correct that SU feels they have no chance so they aren't pursuing. Hard for me to agree with the whole system thing when looking at our recent history. So we'd rather have an average QB out of Florida or wherever because he can run around. QBs that big time programs have no interest in? From what I have been told, the previous staff (Marone, Hackett, Wheatley) absolutely loved this kid and invited him to senior camp and offered him as freshman.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../michigan-state-football-recruiting/17342887/

Like I said earlier we were never seriously interested. Could be multiple reasons, but knowing that he wasn't coming here no matter what, and us being in very good shape for another highly rated quarterback, are probably top of the list.

It's being reported that Zembiac was the ineligible player because he did not play the required 3 regular season games before playing in the playoff game.

James A. Johnson‏@jjDandC 2m2 minutes ago
Tom Zembiec is angry. He said that "He's being singled out. If it's not Jake, this doesn't happen.'['

I'll admit it is a dumb rule, but if it is in the rule book, then they have to follow it regardless of if they think it is fair or not.

I still question the rule based on how vague it is to being eligible. is being eligible you are on the sideline dressed or just the fact you could play but chose not to that day? do you have to be on a roster sheet ? do they turn it in pre game?

There's alot to this fellas. But it really comes down to someone finding out that Aquinas AD didnt actually submit a waiver for Jake to play in sectionals. They relied on their word and relationship with the chairman of Section V. They got the word from him that Jake would be find. They should have still submitted the waiver so the state couldn't bother them. High profile school and player. People are gonna inquire. Someone caught on to that and the state had to enforce the rule. Bad for state of New York football. If the best team goes down let it happen on the field. Kids are not at fault but they suffer from this. Aquinas is the most hated team in section V and probably in the state. People are looking to beat them in any way. This is a coward move. Aquinas has won 8 straight class A and AA sectional championship with 3 state titles during the same stretch.

Still, if they asked the head of the section and the waiver would have been approved without question why do they need a waiver process anyway? from what i read there really isnt a real waiver process defined anyway that you would even know how to submit. this is far different that using a kid who is suspended or doesnt have DR clearance.

they only real reason is they defined eligible as being dressed to play, but even that isnt really explained . by this rule if a kid missed a game because he was sick and took the SATS and ACTs a couple times and missed games he wouldn't be eligible to play in the playoffs.. that would exclude a kid who never missed a practice and never got hurt.

Against my better judgement, I have to weigh in. Let's face it...AQ is a catholic school that recruits the best athletes from across the county. The other teams must work within their district. If other county teams could recruit players, you would see different results. So they already have an unfair advantage! They should only play against teams that have the ability to recruit in the first place. They have a roster of 55 players and they only play 20 both ways. These other kids never see the field, in many cases. Any team that has the ability to stack the deck is going to have the advantage. They're the only school in all 11 sections that are allowed to do what they do...so don't cry fowl or look for a break when you're already holding all the cards. Gates Chili was knocked out of the sectional opportunity last season when it was reported that they used an ineligible player. Their were no media attention or lawsuits filed. The higher the profile the school or player, the less attention you want to bring to matters like this. I just think they are opening Pandora's Box!

Against my better judgement, I have to weigh in. Let's face it...AQ is a catholic school that recruits the best athletes from across the county. The other teams must work within their district. If other county teams could recruit players, you would see different results. So they already have an unfair advantage! They should only play against teams that have the ability to recruit in the first place. They have a roster of 55 players and they only play 20 both ways. These other kids never see the field, in many cases. Any team that has the ability to stack the deck is going to have the advantage. They're the only school in all 11 sections that are allowed to do what they do...so don't cry fowl or look for a break when you're already holding all the cards. Gates Chili was knocked out of the sectional opportunity last season when it was reported that they used an ineligible player. Their were no media attention or lawsuits filed. The higher the profile the school or player, the less attention you want to bring to matters like this. I just think they are opening Pandora's Box!
how are they the only school to do this? many private schools have the same thing going on. Doesnt CBA get hit for much of the same issue? and Gates used an ineligible player far differently than using an eligible player not enough.

If they knew they needed to submit a waiver and didn't, it's on them. I can't speak to the wording of the rule, but from what I'm reading on here it sounds like they expected that phone call to take the place of the written documentation. I feel sorry for the kids, but it sounds like the AD is to blame. I don't blame another school for outing them if that's what happened. Their job is to do what's best for their school, not Aquinis.

Have followed it closely here in Rochester. General consensus is that the school didn't do their homework and now to save face they are taking the section and state to task with a lawsuit. Can't believe they thought that they could bypass the mandatory 3 game requirement. That is a basic requirement for other sports as well. Would love to get a tape of the actual conversation between the section coordinator and the AD. The funny thing is that the sectional football chair was formerly the AD/coach at Aquinas. They are putting the anti-private school spin on it as well.

how are they the only school to do this? many private schools have the same thing going on. Doesnt CBA get hit for much of the same issue? and Gates used an ineligible player far differently than using an eligible player not enough.
I know but ineligible is ineligible. Funny thing is that the Gates coach did not know until after it was called in. Something about his school records and transfer rule. The kid was in the program all summer and throughout the season. It was the ADs job to make sure he was eligible. But the teams was still disqualified. Adult mistake. Kids suffered.

There's alot to this fellas. But it really comes down to someone finding out that Aquinas AD didnt actually submit a waiver for Jake to play in sectionals. They relied on their word and relationship with the chairman of Section V. They got the word from him that Jake would be find. They should have still submitted the waiver so the state couldn't bother them. High profile school and player. People are gonna inquire. Someone caught on to that and the state had to enforce the rule. Bad for state of New York football. If the best team goes down let it happen on the field. Kids are not at fault but they suffer from this. Aquinas is the most hated team in section V and probably in the state. People are looking to beat them in any way. This is a coward move. Aquinas has won 8 straight class A and AA sectional championship with 3 state titles during the same stretch.

well stated. apparently according to court documents: judged ruled that although Aquinas approached the Chaiman of Section V (Cerone) and were verbally told no further paperwork was needed (actually attorney stated in court that Cerrone has never used a medical waiver). However that information was incorrect but does not excuse Aquinas from breaking a rule.

Judge Odorisi wrote, "Consequently, Mr. Cerone's (chairman of Section V) advice does not bind Respondents, or relieve Petitioner of its independent obligation to adhere to the rules..."

My guess is that Section V and the State had more wiggle room, discretion or "spirit of the law" chances to make a different decision but chose not to. At the very least this should make all schools a little more careful when dealing with their sectional chiefs. This rule according to the head of NYS athletics was implemented to deal with studs transferring in late season to help with a title run but he states it is allowed to be applied here.
This is not a good look for NYS football. Maybe the kid transfers to Florida for senior year now and then we will actually start recruiting him. Just kidding (relax)

really its just a poorly worded rule, so fix it. if the intent that a kid must be eligible to play for 3 games on the team he plays for in the playoffs thats fine. but they need to just explain what eligible means. but i think more the issue turned out to be not clear definition from the DR that the kid really could have played..

reality is if he was ready to play they should have just had him play a snap. he didnt need to play QB . it was interesting that AQ provided an example of Collier not dressing then playing in the 2nd half almost 10 years ago.

i think by any definition as long as the DR had cleared him he was eligible whether he dressed or not.

The other problem was the Doctor gave him a backdated medical release on Monday. That seems a bit criminal to me. The truth is that the kid came back sooner than he should have, in my opinion. I think making sure he is totally healed is more important than trying for another title in high school football. Just my opinion. This was probably for the better. You don't want teams targeting the arm for further potential damage...