QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

QB play today is multifaceted. Reading D's making the right decisions and sometime a rifle arm to complete a pass in tight spaces. Many a qb has had great success mastering the mental side and being only average in the arm department. Brock Purdy anyone?

It was obviously all bad. WIth SU line troubles I expected some struggles after losing both tackles and their LG. I was not expecting a defense with future NFL guys to give up 650 total yards to a bad offense.

That was the game where Dino had a cryptic comment on the Thursday about players reading their headlines too much. Ranked team coming off a 10 win season.

And they sure played like it.

That was the game where Dino had a cryptic comment on the Thursday about players reading their headlines too much. Ranked team coming off a 10 win season.

And they sure played like it.
Yeah they played like it up through the BC game when Ward was canned.

Yeah they played like it up through the BC game when Ward was canned.
I would love to hear the inside scoop on what really happened with that team. The whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

Ward has gone on to a very good career and is now considered one of the top DCs in college football with Arizona State. The Arizona State vs Arizona game will pit Brian against his mentor Dino Babers in a game that many Syracuse fans will find of some interest.

My prediction is that Arizona State’s defense will dominate.

Last edited:
I would love to hear the inside scoop on what really happened with that team. The whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

Ward has gone on to a very good career and is now considered one of the top DCs in college football with Arizona State. The Arizona State vs Arizona game will pit Brian against his mentor Dino Babers in a game that many Syracuse fans will find of some interest.

My predication is that Arizona State’s defense will dominate.
Yeah it seemed like there was zero leadership on the roster, and Dino seemed to lose control of the team from the start of the season. Ward’s defenses at SU were putrid his first and last year, year two was improved until the injuries piled up and the 2018 D was pretty solid. The BC game that was the last straw for him was a team who quit

My predication is that Arizona State’s defense will dominate.
I cant wait to watch Dino calling Plays when it's a tight game

Now, but not consistently when he was with SU though.
He's not even now. I'd be willing to wager he never starts another NFL game in his career. Probably won't even get a snap.

Shrader was a pretty good thrower when he wasn't hurt. Same with Dungey, but Shrader was better than Dungey.
I've heard multiple people say this, but I never understood it. I love both to death, but no way did I remember Dungey being a worse thrower than Shrader. There were some games where GS was simply unplayable because of his throwing (mostly due to injury though).

I've heard multiple people say this, but I never understood it. I love both to death, but no way did I remember Dungey being a worse thrower than Shrader. There were some games where GS was simply unplayable because of his throwing (mostly due to injury though).

Stats disagree. Dungey could make throws, but wasn't as accurate as Shrader when Shrader was healthy.

Stats disagree. Dungey could make throws, but wasn't as accurate as Shrader when Shrader was healthy.

Dungey wouldn't just have happy feet and take a sack he would actually run and try and make a play.

Dungey wouldn't just have happy feet and take a sack he would actually run and try and make a play.

So did Shrader. He ran for 31 touchdowns and 1,700 yards in 3 seasons.

Dungey had nearly as good numbers on the ground, and had 1 year that was roughly equal with Shrader's best year passing (both around 64% completion rate).

But Shrader's other years passing were better than Dungey's.

Shrader's completion percentage was jacked up by quick screens and checkdowns. If Dungey played in Anae/Beck's offense like Shrader did he would've been even better.

LOL wut??!!

Do you not recall how many quick outs / screens / hooks got called in the early Dino days?

The whole #OITNF offense was about getting the plays run quickly and quick passes to WR’s.
It’s why Sean Riley had a jillion receptions in 2018.

OK - it was 64.
But also w only 3 receiving TD’s.

The prior 2 years, Erv was getting all the quick dump off passes, like 90 each season.

DeVito could kind of throw, but had happy feet, so was never set to throw. That means he couldn't throw. Just because he was the 4th option for the Giants when all their QBs got injured doesn't mean he's a good passer.
Shrader - Mike Leach moved him to WR because he couldn't throw. For every good throw he made at SU he threw 4 ducks. Was also hurt so he couldn't throw either. His completion percentage was mostly slants and checkdowns.
CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Jacobian Morgan - Couldn't throw
Rex Culpepper - Moved to TE because he couldn't throw
Dungey - loved him but most of his damage was on the ground or because he was that threat.
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

We haven't had a precision passer since Nassib. It's not a narrative at all, if anything the narrative was everyone on this board talking themselves into Shrader being an NFL QB.
lol this is so grim

Drew Lock will be Giants #2 this year. I expect Devito to be on their practice squad again. I have never been more disappointed in player than I was in Devito after watching Syracuse get crushed by Maryland in-person at College Park. It has colored my opinon of him as a competitor to this day.
We had such high hopes in 19 after the fantastic year in 18. That Maryland game was a harbinger of bad things to come. We hoped it was an anomaly but it wasn't, it was who we were. Not a good team.

We had such high hopes in 19 after the fantastic year in 18. That Maryland game was a harbinger of bad things to come. We hoped it was an anomaly but it wasn't, it was who we were. Not a good team.
I was at that game. DeVito sucked, running out of bounds 5 yards in front of a defender. The defense sucked too.

Last edited:
I blamed coaching for that. No excuse to be that bad. That and Georgia Tech with Shafer were complete gut punches. Brutal

The eye test says otherwise and you seem to be discounting the times Dungey played not at full strength.

LOL wut??!!

Do you not recall how many quick outs / screens / hooks got called in the early Dino days?

The whole #OITNF offense was about getting the plays run quickly and quick passes to WR’s.
It’s why Sean Riley had a jillion receptions in 2018.

OK - it was 64.
But also w only 3 receiving TD’s.

The prior 2 years, Erv was getting all the quick dump off passes, like 90 each season.
A lot of those passes to Riley were in tight windows.

That game was one of the most disappointing Syracuse games I have ever seen.

Brutal.
I remember you and I talked after the game. They weren’t ready to play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom