Class of 2016 - QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn

Hopefully their fan won't come over here to rub it in.

Side note, we have them on the schedule next year. Maybe he gets introduced to our D.
Don't worry--he will.

Their QB is a RS SO / Transfer? And backup is a JR? So when he comes in next year for Uconn their QB's will be JR & SR? So he won't start til 2017 unless hes really good and beats them out as a freshman. So it looks like he'll be saved from our hungry hungry hippos (Defense).

Yes. But they need to take two in the 2016 class. More depth is needed at the position.
I wouldn't say NEED (unless someone transfers), but I think we likely will take another one. I always thought we would take 2 this class, which is why I was surprised when, initially, it looked like we were only going to wind up with one. Now it seems the staff has reevaluated things and wants to at least sniff around for a second QB.

David Moore is the most obvious guy we could potentially add.

I wouldn't say NEED (unless someone transfers), but I think we likely will take another one. I always thought we would take 2 this class, which is why I was surprised when, initially, it looked like we were only going to wind up with one. Now it seems the staff has reevaluated things and wants to at least sniff around for a second QB.

David Moore is the most obvious guy we could potentially add.

I disagree. I think that Syracuse has numbers at the position but not true depth.

I disagree. I think that Syracuse has numbers at the position but not true depth.
I don't think we're actually disagreeing at all. I'm not saying I think we have depth, or that I wouldn't like taking 2 QBs. I'm just saying that, at least during the summer, the plan was to take a single QB this class. Now it seems like the plan has changed. I thought as far back as February we needed to take two QBs in this class, because I'll just say it: I don't think Wilson or Long will ever be the answer if we need to use them.

I would rather have Moore as a QB than Rose. More experience there and reads defenses well.

whew. I was worried because I really want Moore.

(edit - and , seriously, we lost out on one of our top remaining targets? - stop. )
Uh, yes? We only have about 5-6 more spots left, and we absolutely would have taken Rose. That makes him a guy who was high on the staff's board, right? So yes, he was one of the top 5-10 remaining targets. I'm not particularly disappointed that we didn't get him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was still high on the list.

Uh, yes? We only have about 5-6 more spots left, and we absolutely would have taken Rose. That makes him a guy who was high on the staff's board, right? So yes, he was one of the top 5-10 remaining targets. I'm not particularly disappointed that we didn't get him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was still high on the list.

We’re going to take between 17-20 kids. I think it’ll be closer to 20 which is 7 more. We have 13 in. I'm skeptical they re-up with Ginnetti.

If Syracuse hasn’t been in contact with him in weeks how would that make him a top remaining target?

I assume they would have taken him as a TE but I can't assume as a QB. Not when they are clearly pursuing Moore and have set a visit.

I’d bet top remaining targets could reach a couple of dozen kids at various positions. I think you’re top 5-10 you take no matter what and it didn’t seem to me that Rose fell into that category.

curious did any staff tweet about his impending decision today?

And if you listen to the video from this morning it seems the Syracuse staff hasn't been in contact with him for weeks. Must think there is a good chance to flip Moore.

I really liked him as a prospect but if the staff hasn't talked to him in weeks and knew he was deciding soon - that's pretty telling.

Odd situation.

When a recruit narrows it two and one is the state school, it's generally out of respect to the state school.

Regardless, we need athletic tight ends -- tight ends, period -- unless they're thinking of switching someone.

Not sure how fast and athletic Rose is, so I'm not crying over this.

We've done reasonably well in Connecticut lately, so it would have been nice to keep that going.

Odd situation.

When a recruit narrows it two and one is the state school, it's generally out of respect to the state school.

Regardless, we need athletic tight ends -- tight ends, period -- unless they're thinking of switching someone.

Not sure how fast and athletic Rose is, so I'm not crying over this.

We've done reasonably well in Connecticut lately, so it would have been nice to keep that going.
I would have liked landing Rose mainly because, ya know, a bird in the hand. But I think we've got enough other solid options at both TE and QB that I'm not really sweating this decision. To be honest, I think this is about the least disappointed I've felt about a kid picking another school basically ever. I'd have liked landing him but it's not exactly backbreaking that we didn't.

jekelish said:
I would have liked landing Rose mainly because, ya know, a bird in the hand. But I think we've got enough other solid options at both TE and QB that I'm not really sweating this decision. To be honest, I think this is about the least disappointed I've felt about a kid picking another school basically ever. I'd have liked landing him but it's not exactly backbreaking that we didn't.

Sorta agree.

But they're doing cartwheels in Connecticut.

I liked his versatility, but yes there are plenty of other prospects at QB and TE not to sweat this.

Sorta agree.

I'm sure they are, but obviously it's a different situation there. I think we're better off at QB, obviously, as we move forward.

Sorta agree.

This is what the few people who follow football at Yukon do ... they declare some in state kid with little to no interest the prodigal son, and then when they get them they act like its a huge recruiting coup. They did the same thing with this kid Arkeel Newsome who rushed for a million yards in HS in CT and had offers from nobody, has basically done nothing in a year + at yukon.

Obviously Rose had a slightly higher profile offer sheet because of his size and versatility, but the fact is, he's not a legitimate high major QB in reality, and is going to end up at TE regardless, a position that is a dime a dozen.

I am not at all sure the kid does not have a future at qb. His tape suggests a strong enough and accurate arm with pretty good mobility and size. I think there is some impressive raw material to work with and I doubt very much that this was a case of SU backing off. I suspect the he just saw a better opportunity for himself at UConn and took it. Good for him. I am sure the coaches continue to work on the recruiting mosaic for next year and we could definitely use a second qb in the class...along with at least one interior D-lineman.

This is what the few people who follow football at Yukon do ... they declare some in state kid with little to no interest the prodigal son, and then when they get them they act like its a huge recruiting coup. They did the same thing with this kid Arkeel Newsome who rushed for a million yards in HS in CT and had offers from nobody, has basically done nothing in a year + at yukon.

Obviously Rose had a slightly higher profile offer sheet because of his size and versatility, but the fact is, he's not a legitimate high major QB in reality, and is going to end up at TE regardless, a position that is a dime a dozen.

the bottom line seems to be that the bigger programs wanted the kid as a TE. he wants to play QB and I respect that. no one knows what our staff actually told him, it seems to be speculation and hearsay that we offered him as a QB. I think he wants to play QB and UConn was the only one that said yes. and I don't blame them for that, maybe he could be a tannenhill type QB convert. if dungey is the real deal it doesn't matter anyway unless we could have made the kid into a TE.

Congrats to the kid. Smart move if he wants to be a starting QB.

I'm just happy we're no longer a UConn level football squad

no longer? never were.