QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

Two years from now could be Tommy if he wants to come back. He has two years left.
Got it - ok didn’t know that. Although he is setting his sights high for the NFL post ‘cuse so it wouldn’t be too surprising if he gone in a couple years.

Without going into details was Tommy’s injury one that might impact readiness for next season?

I know I should know this and there is no mal-intension behind the question

Last edited:
He may be the starter next year no guarantee. However I do feel there is a strong likelihood he will be replaced at some point in the season based on play. DB knows he has to win or it may be his last season as coach. I could be wrong but based on his play the last two years it a strong possibility.

Hell with backup, we need legit competition from within or transfer portal. To just give him the job is why we are where we are with QBs the last two seasons.
I have been reading this claim on this board for a while now, and I confess I don’t know where this notion originated. TD was pressing Dungey for time as a freshman. And Dungey was the best QB we had seen since McNabb. (Okay, maybe Nassib, but in terms of individual impact on the game Dungey carried more weight.) The idea that TD was given or guaranteed anything by the coaching staff is so odd, borderline silly. He came into the program, worked to earn time, waited until Dungey graduated and took over the starter’s role. No one guaranteed him anything. The fact is, he was/is better than the other QBs on the roster. If that somehow kept other players from signing with SU, well then they don’t have enough confidence to compete for a P5 QB position.
The thing that killed our QB position was two good QBs back to back (Dungey/TD), some bad choices (Aimee), some bad luck (Culpepper cancer), and an OL that no one wants to play behind at the moment. And yes, the coaches swung and missed on a few top QBs. But it has nothing to do with TD being guaranteed anything.

What? Do you watch football? The OL is why we are where we are with QBs the last two seasons.

Funny I thought Culpepepper and Morgan, Dungey worked well with the OL. Yes OL is a problem but definitely not all of the problem like I have said many, many times.Oh and nope never watched a down of football in my life get off the high horse.

Funny I thought Culpepepper and Morgan, Dungey worked well with the OL. Yes OL is a problem but definitely not all of the problem like I have said many, many times.Oh and nope never watched a down of football in my life get off the high horse.

Dungey never played behind the 2019 or 2020 OL. Culpepper got sacked less but was a TO machine. Morgan was sacked a lot and is out due to a blindside hit.

I do think TD deserves some blame and needs to play better when things get dicey. But it’s on the whole offense, WR too. RB who whiff on blocks don’t help either.

All that needs to be solved. But TD has been the best QB on the roster the last two seasons.

Dungey never played behind the 2019 or 2020 OL. Culpepper got sacked less but was a TO machine. Morgan was sacked a lot and is out due to a blindside hit.

I do think TD deserves some blame and needs to play better when things get dicey. But it’s on the whole offense, WR too. RB who whiff on blocks don’t help either.

All that needs to be solved. But TD has been the best QB on the roster the last two seasons.
Exactly, you don't go 1-10 just because of the QB, TD might not be a world beater but he was just one of many problems and in comparison he's pretty far down the list of what went wrong

"High horse?" Let's see... Culpepper, the guy who took a sack with 20 secs left in the game on 3rd down and spiked the ball on 4th down, was the next best option in Dino's mind... Yet Devito was just "given" the job.

"OL is a problem, but not all of the problem..." Well, PFF graded out OL and the SU OL rated dead last in the ACC, #113 overall, and our best rated lineman was actually a FB weighing in at 280 lbs and he finished rated #14 of 19 LG's in the ACC.

Bro, if I'm speaking to you like you're ignorant, it's because what you say actually is, in fact, ignorant.

Tommy has been the best QB the last two seasons for sure. But he got sacked 3x as many times as Morgan in the same number of games and twice as many as Rex.

The difference I see in Tommy and someone like Tucker is, no one is saying Tucker would be good with a better line or with a better this or that. He is just good/great as is

"High horse?" Let's see... Culpepper, the guy who took a sack with 20 secs left in the game on 3rd down and spiked the ball on 4th down, was the next best option in Dino's mind... Yet Devito was just "given" the job.

"OL is a problem, but not all of the problem..." Well, PFF graded out OL and the SU OL rated dead last in the ACC, #113 overall, and our best rated lineman was actually a FB weighing in at 280 lbs and he finished rated #14 of 19 LG's in the ACC.

Bro, if I'm speaking to you like you're ignorant, it's because what you say actually is, in fact, ignorant.
Caretaker is that you?

Tommy has been the best QB the last two seasons for sure. But he got sacked 3x as many times as Morgan in the same number of games and twice as many as Rex.
The two games Morgan started, he was sacked a total of 7x. The game before, he came in for mopup duty. Morgan's games came at the end of the year when the OL actually started gelling a little more. That quick analysis also excludes the fact that Morgan didn't and wasn't expected to look much beyond first read and threw short balls at a far higher rate.

Did Rex really ever look beyond the primary receiver?

Caretaker is that you?
Haha. No. I've been around here ages, but have been quiet the last season or so. Reading a bunch of negative reactions caused me to take a break around here. There's already enough negativity going on in the world.

Seeing someone try to purport himself as a "numbers" guy and equating his judgement to members of the Supreme Court, when his analysis screams that he is a low level analyst working for a pink sheets shop, just happened to irk the hell out of me.

The two games Morgan started, he was sacked a total of 7x. The game before, he came in for mopup duty. Morgan's games came at the end of the year when the OL actually started gelling a little more. That quick analysis also excludes the fact that Morgan didn't and wasn't expected to look much beyond first read and threw short balls at a far higher rate.

We ran for 3 yards against NC State.

Rex was getting the ball out within 2 seconds. They weren't running much of the short game with Devito. (Drove me crazy)

I like Tommy, I just wish he would have fired the ball off faster this year. That’s something I think Rex did a good job at

Haha. No. I've been around here ages, but have been quiet the last season or so. Reading a bunch of negative reactions caused me to take a break around here. There's already enough negativity going on in the world.

Seeing someone try to purport himself as a "numbers" guy and equating his judgement to members of the Supreme Court, when his analysis screams that he is a low level analyst working for a pink sheets shop, just happened to irk the hell out of me.
Haha just busting. He’d bring up O-line stats.
1-10 obviously blame to go around

We ran for 3 yards against NC State.

Rex was getting the ball out within 2 seconds. They weren't running much of the short game with Devito. (Drove me crazy)
I definitely feel like Gilbert was calling a better game later in the year. Maybe more of the offense we installed? We needed those quick hitters early in the year and weren’t getting them

I like Tommy, I just wish he would have fired the ball off faster this year. That’s something I think Rex did a good job at
Not nearly as many short opportunities for him... Our TE's (typical short option) were phased out of the game. Possibly our strongest receiving group was given 1/3 the chances as last year. (Smh)

Plenty of blame pie to go around. Serve it as you will.

He may be the starter next year no guarantee. However I do feel there is a strong likelihood he will be replaced at some point in the season based on play. DB knows he has to win or it may be his last season as coach. I could be wrong but based on his play the last two years it a strong possibility.
Not seeing good judgment in pocket. Will it happen in another season? I doubt it. The position has to be up for grabs. Sign a transfer and let best guy in camp start. This program has not had enough success to hand job to anyone.

Competition is good. But in my experience as a coach, most folks don't truly want it. Too often, very often I will add, I hear "it might hurt the starters confidence". Right. SMH.

Not seeing good judgment in pocket. Will it happen in another season? I doubt it. The position has to be up for grabs. Sign a transfer and let best guy in camp start. This program has not had enough success to hand job to anyone.

Competition is good. But in my experience as a coach, most folks don't truly want it. Too often, very often I will add, I hear "it might hurt the starters confidence". Right. SMH.
Tommy should win. Play calling didn't give him near the same opportunity they gave the backups. (Uggh) Just because he can drop a dime at 20 yards down the field, doesn't mean you should call that play so often.

My frustration with no TE usage will likely continue, but Gilbert did start developing a short game as the season progressed. Fix the line, and better things should follow.

Not nearly as many short opportunities for him... Our TE's (typical short option) were phased out of the game. Possibly our strongest receiving group was given 1/3 the chances as last year. (Smh)

Plenty of blame pie to go around. Serve it as you will.

This is where I fall. Most of the routes when Tommy was healthy were vertical routes (I remember numerous times him missing downfield and a 2nd WR comes into the pictures, also running a vertical) or shots at a big play. Even the plays Gilbert installed (Benson wheel route comes to mind) were long developing plays. Maybe Gilbert would have eventually gone short passing game with Tommy, but that will be what I watch for during '21.

My thought on the reason for this is Dino/Gilbert knew they couldn't extend the field horizontally due to the size of the WR position and the bubble screen would have to be telegraphed with a TE out there so they figured they'd stretch vertically behind a bad OL with TD getting 1 read to try and keep the safeties deep.

This team desperately needs a physical, WR transfer. That is the biggest piece missing on the offense. Not sure if that guy is out there, but may need Alford to put on some muscle. Also think Umari Hatcher is the best WR recruit of the Babers era, not sure if that means he will play right away, especially in this weird year.

I still think the OL has enough talent to be average, there is just a disconnect somewhere. Wouldn't mind seeing Servais be told to bulk up and go to C and move Vetterello to RT. Bergeron is now the most skilled OL who should make a jump with S&C, Davis and Bleich should be the road grading OG's.

Of course, why would you want an offense with a 6th year senior who can solve a Rubik cube very quickly (so obviously recognizes patterns) call out protections when you could have an underclassmen RB do it?

This is where I fall. Most of the routes when Tommy was healthy were vertical routes (I remember numerous times him missing downfield and a 2nd WR comes into the pictures, also running a vertical) or shots at a big play. Even the plays Gilbert installed (Benson wheel route comes to mind) were long developing plays. Maybe Gilbert would have eventually gone short passing game with Tommy, but that will be what I watch for during '21.

My thought on the reason for this is Dino/Gilbert knew they couldn't extend the field horizontally due to the size of the WR position and the bubble screen would have to be telegraphed with a TE out there so they figured they'd stretch vertically behind a bad OL with TD getting 1 read to try and keep the safeties deep.

This team desperately needs a physical, WR transfer. That is the biggest piece missing on the offense. Not sure if that guy is out there, but may need Alford to put on some muscle. Also think Umari Hatcher is the best WR recruit of the Babers era, not sure if that means he will play right away, especially in this weird year.

I still think the OL has enough talent to be average, there is just a disconnect somewhere. Wouldn't mind seeing Servais be told to bulk up and go to C and move Vetterello to RT. Bergeron is now the most skilled OL who should make a jump with S&C, Davis and Bleich should be the road grading OG's.

Of course, why would you want an offense with a 6th year senior who can solve a Rubik cube very quickly (so obviously recognizes patterns) call out protections when you could have an underclassmen RB do it?

It seemed Gilbert learned his personnel, other than the TEs, as the season progressed.

Oline has the potential to be better, but its not. Dakota was the highest graded in both run and pass. That didn't help much in the run game vs. NC state, because they need to work as 1. A healthy Servais at T? He'll be on an NFL roster.

A fixed line will help Tommy. If we can develop a run game (even if its not Tucker)?, that helps him, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom