QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

An automatic improvement over JaCobian and Rex? Yes, unabashedly yes. Adding a transfer and Lamson is helpful for depth and competition.

Side note, how many of those starts featured even the mediocre OL we had late in both 2019 and 2020? And what magical unicorn comes in and is able to overcome the worst version of our OL?

I like that you’re “not wearing orange glasses” but this world where we have an improvement at QB and it’s not Tommy and our OL is still in rough shape takes more suspension of reality than Tommy doing it in year 3
The last three games 2019. Duke game multiple hand off limited passing. Wake Welch was qb.

Yeah, this is probably the kind of kid we should go after. As stated, the pool of those players is smaller than if we had an opening and clear path to the top spot
I think the pool of players might be a little bigger than you are suggesting simply because there are so many programs running similar systems. Secondly, I think the sell from the staff is that there is an opening and that there will be an open competition for the QB1 spot.

At a minimum, the staff has to do their due diligence, identify possibilities, and aggressively recruit those targets. If nobody commits then nobody commits. We will know soon enough by the number of offers extended whether the staff thinks we have an opening and path to QB1.

So my guess would be that AD JW and Dino are going to have a pretty simple conversation if it hasn't already happened. A big year for Dino next year. My guess is Dino will do everything he can to better the talent at all positions. If he sees a QB that can win games for him and compete with TD, he will do it. TD is a competitor and competition is a great thing. The team is better for it either way. Also it is not like our offense is rocket science. Someone coming in, especially early can certainly learn it.

Last edited:
That’s great - we need Tommy and he deserves the chance to lead a team that has an opportunity at a great season.

Flipside - two years from now we are back to breaking in a new QB and taking a step back on offense. Again.
I don't think TD's return has any influence on the second part of your comment. If we have young guys that are capable backing him up, the time spent at backup and getting reps in a couple spring practices should prepare them to play.

Last edited:
I think the pool of players might be a little bigger than you are suggesting simply because there are so many programs running similar systems. Secondly, I think the sell from the staff is that there is an opening and that there will be an open competition for the QB1 spot.

At a minimum, the staff has to do their due diligence, identify possibilities, and aggressively recruit those targets. If nobody commits then nobody commits. We will know soon enough by the number of offers extended whether the staff thinks we have an opening and path to QB1.

No, this is the assumption I’m challenging. I don’t think the number of offers will say anything about if we have a QB1 opening. We went after Fortin last year. The staff sold it as an open competition.

Fortin looked at the situation and didn’t choose us. We can’t divine from his decision why he didn’t choose us.

Some say it’s not a truly open competition, others say it’s hard to beat out a kid 3 years in the program with TD’s arm talent.

(I think the amount of offers and what year they are will say more about what they think of the QB room than QB1)

No, this is the assumption I’m challenging. I don’t think the number of offers will say anything about if we have a QB1 opening. We went after Fortin last year. The staff sold it as an open competition.

Fortin looked at the situation and didn’t choose us. We can’t divine from his decision why he didn’t choose us.

Some say it’s not a truly open competition, others say it’s hard to beat out a kid 3 years in the program with TD’s arm talent.

(I think the amount of offers and what year they are will say more about what they think of the QB room than QB1)
BTW, Fortin stats for 2020...4-8 for 39 yards. Really sorry we missed out on that General.

BTW, Fortin stats for 2020...4-8 for 39 yards. Really sorry we missed out on that General.
How can you judge on such limited stats in isolation?
I don’t know if he would have been the answer at backup, but probably would have helped.

I don’t know if he would have been the answer at backup, but probably would have helped.
There’s a reason he has such limited stats

They went 1-8 this year. Did he get hurt? Because that would be the only defense of these gaudy numbers. Please enlighten us.

There’s a reason he has such limited stats
Yeah, obviously he didn’t beat out the starter, but again says nothing about how he potentially could have contributed here as a backup to TD.
Maybe he is no good but the answer is not in one line quips.

They went 1-8 this year. Did he get hurt? Because that would be the only defense of these gaudy numbers. Please enlighten us.
You are missing the point.

Yeah, obviously he didn’t beat out the starter, but again says nothing about how he potentially could have contributed here as a backup to TD.
Maybe he is no good but the answer is not in one line quips.
If the kid didn’t get any run on a team that was probably worse than us and playing weaker competition than us I can’t imagine he would have contributed much here. And if that’s the case I value the couple of starts Morgan had over whatever could have happened with Fortin.

I agree we need a serviceable backup but if we don’t pickup a transfer this offseason I think it’s because the staff is comfortable with the room we have right now. I like Morgan and think he can really benefit from a full spring and summer.

Fingers crossed that happens

If the kid didn’t get any run on a team that was probably worse than us and playing weaker competition than us I can’t imagine he would have contributed much here. And if that’s the case I value the couple of starts Morgan had over whatever could have happened with Fortin.

I agree we need a serviceable backup but if we don’t pickup a transfer this offseason I think it’s because the staff is comfortable with the room we have right now. I like Morgan and think he can really benefit from a full spring and summer.

Fingers crossed that happens
Based on what we had at backup, I can easily imagine he could have contributed. Emphasis on imagine. Nobody knows, but we had limited QB depth this year and remember Fortin did make 2 starts as a true freshman at UNC. He must have showed something at some point.

My biggest issue with Tommy besides the pocket presence and reading the defense is his ability to extend a play. He is too athletic of a kid to not be able to make throws on the run. Once a play breaks down or his first read is gone , thats it, the play is over and there's no chance of anything else. He runs if he has a lane but he doesnt look down feild for potential explosive plays. Making plays outside the pocket is crucial this day in age. He needs to spend a lot if time this off season making reads and throws while rolling out. I still want a transfer because I dont know if TD will improve in those areas and the back up needs to be someone we can win games with.

EDIT just wanted to make sure I added that its a good thing he is back. I just want competiton. I want who ever doesnt win out to be capable of winning us games if the other goes down.
I also see our receivers not realizing trouble and coming back to help him as they do in the pros.

I also see our receivers not realizing trouble and coming back to help him as they do in the pros.
Not just Pro's. All of college and HS do that. We have scramble practice sessions in HS. Yes, the Wr's have to help him out. Offense is lacking some natural backyard stuff but you at least have to keep your head up for opportunities. He doesnt attempt that, he just keeps his head down and runs. Those are things I'm sure they will work on this off season. Whole offense should be working on scramble drills.

Throw quick short patterns like Rex. If you backup looking for a pocket with this line you need to get that million dollar life insurance that costs $9.99 amount per month even if your 90

Not just Pro's. All of college and HS do that. We have scramble practice sessions in HS. Yes, the Wr's have to help him out. Offense is lacking some natural backyard stuff but you at least have to keep your head up for opportunities. He doesnt attempt that, he just keeps his head down and runs. Those are things I'm sure they will work on this off season. Whole offense should be working on scramble drills.
100 Percent agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom